View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Not knowing the specifics about rush/recruitment at your school, it is impossible to give specific advice. Some general advice:

1) If your school's rush rules allow women to attend fraternity rush events, treat every woman you meet at the event as if she is the girlfriend of the fraternity's president. If you are serious about joining a fraternity, your goal at a rush event is to join a fraternity, not to meet women. Hitting on a member's girlfriend is a sure way to not get a bid.

2) Look your best. Be aware of your clothes and grooming. Get a hair cut a few days before rush.

3) Be friendly to everyone.

4) Even if you are sure a woman you meet at the rush event is not an active's girlfriend, assume she is an active's sister because everything you say or do will get back to the members.

5) Try to avoid arguments, unless it's about sports. Stay away from political discussions. But if politics are important to you, keep your ears open when you listen to the actives talk to get a hint on their leanings. Don't talk about how much money your family has.

6) Don't limit yourself to one fraternity. Go to other fraternities' parties.

7) Notice and get to know other rushees attending the event. This is very important. Make sure you like them as a group, because if they join along with you, they will be your friends.

8) If you feel out of place at a rush party, you probably are. Remember the rush party scenes in the movie, "Animal House." Try to find the fraternity that "has your people."
1. Definitely. I will not hit on any women.

2. What are some clothes I should wear, especially in the evening when it is colder? Would a leather jacket and jeans work? What about an Apple Watch?

3. Of course.

4. Definitely

5. I will definitely avoid politics and money

6. Excellent advice.

7. I agree.

8. I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you!