View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Ironically, NPC Chair Carole Jones just released her final online post as chair. It is entitled "A Reflection On Increasing Access And Equity In The Sorority Experience".

The post explains the NPC Board of Directors has commissioned five recruitment reform projects for the next year, including recommendations for "a new best practice that encourages a virtual first round whenever possible."

[If someone with better computer skills than I will please link the Carole Jones item into this thread, I'd be grateful!]

Is memory serving correctly that one or two GreekChat members served NPC on its Access Equity Advisory Committee [or AEAC] and if so, might they please chime-in with their thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
She is merely virtue-signaling if she think that virtual first rounds will cause greater inclusion.
I don't think Carole Jones is virtue-signaling. She is explaining the year-long work done by the NPC's AEAC, whose work is now being reviewed by the NPC Board of Directors.

[again, if someone would please link Carole's 6/8/21 post here as I cannot....]

She does mention that moving the first round into a virtual round decreases chapter and panhellenic costs in the areas of meeting/recruitment space rental, transportation and matching recruitment attire fees, as well as recruitment decor costs.

The focus of recruitment ought to continue to trend toward meaningful conversations between PNMs and members, not on what type of impressive car picked up Susie Rushee for open house party or which expensive hotel the Rho House used for first round party versus the Red Roof Inn Meeting Room used by the Psi House.

Perhaps I might infer the NPC Board's ideas of Access and Equity to include increasing Access and Equity between all NPC recruiting groups. That, to me, makes sense of the NPC Board's thought to continue decreasing costs thru adding the virtual first round.