View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Basically just the computer software that makes the GC website function the way it does. There's also a bunch of other software behind the scenes that's necessary for this to all work as well. But, for the most part, what you see on GC is the forum software part.

With forum software there's a number of options available, paid commercially developed software & free software. Even doing all the development myself is an option, and does sound like an interesting challenge, but I think would simply take way too much time. All the different forum software options to consider are similar in that they are for forums, but differ a bit in various ways.
This is a lot, lol. Very interesting but so much to take in. With so many different options, would you be able to modify forum software that’s for forums to your liking, instead of doing it yourself? I mean, just to save you time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Yes, it will definitely be noticeable. Everything will be similar enough so that using the new forum software will be familiar & easy to use.

When I'm at that stage of things I'll migrate a copy of the GC database over to the new software being considered. Then will open it up for testing to everyone who chipped-in to help support these efforts + moderators & anyone with GC premium memberships. Then if it all seems to be working out well after testing for a bit I'll switch the main GC site over to the new forum software system. It's possible that we may even end up testing more than one other forum software system to consider upgrading to.

I still have other things to work on before I get to that part, but generally that's the plan.
So, how would that work? - with the chipping in part. So like, people who chipped in would see kind of like a different interface, than those who didn’t chip in?

Do you remember way back when, when those who wanted premium membership, paid like $30 bucks or something like that? Is that the same thing you’re talking about when you say “premium memberships”? Oh God, that was so long ago, I can’t remember what came with it. I actually thought that expired, lol. Everything is like a blur to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Lol WTH were you dreaming about that had you thinking about viral diseases with stages? You stayed up late?
lol
I have no idea. I don’t really remember. My husband told me when he tried to wake me up to go to the mall, I responded like I was going to go but at the same time I was talking about a virus and mentioned its stages? My kids thought I was dreaming about Covid, they told me. Hilarious! The only thing I can think of that’s common with stages is distemper, but I honestly don’t know what the heck I could have been thinking about.

I didn’t go to bed too late. Normal time I usually go, like 10? I sure did sleep a long time, though, lol.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!