View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I also received a lengthy email from another MSU alumna who did not want to respond on the thread but knew a great deal about what was going on at MSU because of her position as a national volunteer in her particular GLO.

kchaptergphib, this person also mentioned that chapter total is way too high and panhel refuses to lower it. So you are right in guessing that is a factor.

Sciencewoman, I think Grand Valley is a bit of an anomaly in that that particular university has been undergoing incredible expansion the last ten to fifteen years. I think it is great that the Greek system is doing so well. I wish we had a Tri Delta chapter there as it is so close that I could be involved. But I doubt DDD will put any more chapters in Michigan. We just do not have a supportive alumnae base here which is really too bad.

Back to MSU... From everything I've experienced and observed, I think it is an unhealthy Greek system and I've heard others say the same thing. It has been that way for a very long time. One person described the atmosphere in the system as toxic. The tiers there are incredibly pronounced and there is little to no Panhellenic spirit. The campus lost four sororities in a relatively short time and quota is half what it used to be. It's really too bad because Greek life is so big on other Big Ten campuses that it really should be at MSU as well.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.