View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
i would like to speak on behalf of my friend carnation: both of us have been involved extensively with recruitments at a multitude of campuses, and see that the one area that recruitment counselors are lacking good training in is the subject this thread is based on. not enough time is spent on how to deal with the situation where a pnm is released from recruitment, or just an unhappy pnm in general. we have spoken many times about just this, and carnation decided that with formal recruitment in full swing on so many campuses, now would be a good time to gather ideas, to perhaps share with panhellenics.
I agree. We choose Rho Chi's without much thought as to how they would react to someone not yet part of the Greek System. I don't know of any schools which hold seminars for Rho Chis prior to Recruitment (although I'm sure that there are some), and maybe that's something that each campus AND the NPC needs to look at. Even if it's just holding the PNM if she's crying, or taking her to a nearby private room to let her talk - that would be better than Jocelyn's, "You just got cross-cut. Have a nice day," scenario.

Absolutely, there needs to be someone with SOME counseling skills on hand on Bid Day - if not all through Recruitment! And I don't mean the Greek Advisor, someone who can show unbiased empathy without putting the system down.

The one thing I've seen cause the most pain is when a legacy rushes, and every sorority "assumes" she's going to her legacy chapter. Well, what if she doesn't like them, or doesn't fit in there? Does that have to exclude her from all the other GLOs, too? We always considered legacies to other chapters challenges, and rushed them all the harder - but I know a lot of other chapter don't. It's one of the main reasons I have trepidation about mandatory cuts.