View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I don't know of any schools which hold seminars for Rho Chis prior to Recruitment (although I'm sure that there are some), and maybe that's something that each campus AND the NPC needs to look at.

Absolutely, there needs to be someone with SOME counseling skills on hand on Bid Day - if not all through Recruitment! And I don't mean the Greek Advisor, someone who can show unbiased empathy without putting the system down.
At Iowa State, Rho Gammas are selected early in the spring semester and spend one night a week for ~8 weeks "training" with the Rho Gamma coordinator (who has to have been a Rho Gamma herself) for recruitment. They also have Rho Gamma training before recruitment at Iowa, but I don't know how long it lasts.

They go through the basics in the first few weeks and then spend the last few weeks of training reinacting various situations that could happen as Rho Gammas. I believe, if they can, they like to have a guest speaker from Student Counseling or Student Life talk to them about appropriate things to say/how to handle when girls are dropped completely, etc...

Someone is always on hand at the "red" phone in the Recruitment Office--whether it be the Panhellenic President, Greek Advisor, Grad Student Advisor, or another member of Panhellenic Exec.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.