View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
. . . Being the naive person I am/was, I didn't realize that you could be dropped from recruitment entirely (PX's, as great as they were, didn't lay that out for us). . . .I missed the Tuesday afternoon call of "hey you don't need to come and pick up your invites because you were dropped" . . . SO I showed up early to the meeting (thank god) and my poor PX's looked like they had seen a ghost, they obviously hadn't planned on me not getting the message. I left shortly after hearing the news, and of course like many PNM's, I wanted to know WHY . . .
Good point -- I must say, having read lots of web site descriptions of the NPC recruitment process and schedules at schools large and small -- Southern, Northern, Eastern, Western, Canadian; from 4-year commuter colleges to the most academically elite universities -- almost never is there even a suggestion that someone could find herself completely cut. Typically you'll see descriptions that end with something like "Bid Day -- this is when you find out who your new sisters are and join them for a special fun evening . . . "

Every now and then a site will mention that going through recruitment doesn't guarantee getting a bid, but that's about all.

I realize that Panhellenics don't want to cause more anxiety than already exists, but to those who aren't already in the know, just a mention of "mutual selection" may not be enough to prepare for some of the possibilities we read about on GC.

And as to the "why" that Phoenix Azul talked about -- because membership selection is a private process, it can be impossible to tell a PNM "why." That's not especially satisfactory, but I don't know what can be done about it. What can be difficult, though, is when the school's Panhellenic has publicized a fairly common thingy called the Potential New Member's Bill of Rights, which seems to be pretty popular. It purports to uphold "rights" to complete and truthful answers to questions, and so on. I get the impression, though, from lots of GC posts over a couple of years, that there are many recruitment mysteries (or important points that are casually glossed over) for both PNMs and active members -- not to mention alumnae and parents.