GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,388
1 members and 2,387 guests
zellahulzez9781

Old 05-18-2024, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

A Chapter's Closure a Year Later

https://cornellsun.com/2024/03/10/on...rs-disbanding/

So while this article is a bit old, it's an interesting read about Phi Sig's closure at Cornell a year later. There was also potential rumblings about expansion that could take place in a few years as the recruitment #'s keep going up.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2024, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Although it sucks that the chapter had to close, and the active members weren't consulted or told about the decision, I do agree with the Phi Sig national office's determination that "the chapter’s overall experience was not what we would hope for..."

The active members' sorority experience would be negatively affected having to COB all the time, and trying to maintain chapter operations with a skeleton crew would probably become tiring and stressful and lead to burnout.

It's admirable that the existing members truly wanted to proceed with chapter operations, and they probably had a very strong and intimate membership, it just isn't the quality experience you'd want your members to have.

Just my opinion. Of course this wouldn't be as much of an issue if chapter houses were such a necessity at some campuses, maybe.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Scrolling to the bottom of your link, it was also remarkably interesting to read the recent article concerning fears of Cornell WOC toward campus NPC recruitment and all individual chapter/national sorority DEI initiatives.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:36 AM

That whole "the chapter's experience" rap always grinds my gears, probably because I have heard it used way too many times in cases where there is not a house to maintain and the main thing ruining their "experience" is the constant haranguing from HQ to keep open bidding anything with a pulse.

In this case, for the love of all that's holy, just use plain language. "The chapter wasn't able to find enough women who wanted to join to fill the house. Their individual rents would have gone through the roof, and that sucks."
Old 05-20-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Scrolling to the bottom of your link, it was also remarkably interesting to read the recent article concerning fears of Cornell WOC toward campus NPC recruitment and all individual chapter/national sorority DEI initiatives.
All I could say about that article was "no shit." I didn't get the part about the mixers though. Don't the sorority members go to the fraternity house or wherever the mixer is in a group or at least small bunches? Why would you let a sister walk into a mixer by herself? If you weren't a member, wouldn't the sisters immediately kick you out?