GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 1,203
1 members and 1,202 guests
arobrtosmaarley

Old 08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

'Survivor' Plans to Divide Teams by Race Next Season

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.....html#comments

I cannot believe they are actually going to do this. I hope somoene pulls the plug on this one...quick.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha, I think its awesome. Granted, I won't watch it, but its cool to see somebody not give a damn about political correctness.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasad1913
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.....html#comments

I cannot believe they are actually going to do this. I hope somoene pulls the plug on this one...quick.
HA HA I just posted about this in our forum, Soror because I read it like
Old 08-23-2006, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

As I said in the DST forum..... gooooooooo Black People!

On a more serious note, it's nice to know that people are race-aware in prime time. I think this will spark lots of discussion.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't. I think all it will do is have people sit in their living rooms and allow the show to feed their pre-conceived notions, stereotypes, etc. This isn't about political correctness or not caring about PC-ness, this is about stirring up prejudices and ignorance. I don't think many people in this country are mature enough to take this show with a grain of salt. Its going to lead to ignorant and hurtful jabs after each episode on the job, at school, and everywhere in this society where people of the different groups have to interact and are going to cause animosity among and between the groups.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't. I think all it will do is have people sit in their living rooms and allow the show to feed their pre-conceived notions, stereotypes, etc. This isn't about political correctness or not caring about PC-ness, this is about stirring up prejudices and ignorance. I don't think many people in this country are mature enough to take this show with a grain of salt. Its going to lead to ignorant and hurtful jabs after each episode on the job, at school, and everywhere in this society where people of the different groups have to interact and are going to cause animosity among and between the groups.
I hope people pay just about as much attention to this season of Survivor as they have to the last few ... It really pisses me off that they're using race as a publicity stunt to try and save their show they've let go on way too long.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the prize? Is this a trick to give us 40 acres and a mule? Hmmmmm

Last edited by pinkies up; 08-23-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:

While I think you might be completely correct in your cause->effect relationship here, I don't really think it's CBS's responsibility to actively prevent people the opportunity to buy into their own prejudices.

Unless CBS is actively promoting stereotypes or portraying people in negative situations (such as the white team being exempt from a dance-off, or something equally ridiculous), it seems like they're not really doing anything wrong.

Perhaps on some level, it could possibly change peoples' minds for a few who are not exposed to other races - since you're saying the downside is playing into pre-existing problems, wouldn't this (admittedly tiny) chance provide some positive to offset any uncomfortable water cooler jokes?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Phasad1913, You are all the way 100 with this. America is not mature enough to deal with a show like this.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
What a total ratings scam.

It seems like something they would have made up on The Chappelle Show.

I think it's ridiculous and stupid. I highly doubt CBS will use the show for anything but cheap race jokes and stereotypes.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsuchelle
I highly doubt CBS will use the show for anything but cheap race jokes and stereotypes.
That's the exact problem I see with it. I didn't go look at the cast, but I'm sure they picked people who deliberately fit the stereotypes, and even if the cast tries their hardest NOT to be stereotypical, they'll just fix it all up in the editing room.

ETA: The other problem I just thought of is when the teams merge, there's going to be racist lines as far as the whites voting with the whites and the hispanics voting with the hispanics, etc...and their going to paint it as racially motivated, even though that's how it's naturally going to go because people (except maybe the odd man out) tend to stick with their orginal teams for awhile after the merger.

And whoever wins, I'm sure it will be "not of their own merit". It will be "Well, he was black, so they felt sorry for him", or "He was white, and white people always have the advantage" or some other stupid BS.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 08-24-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle

There's a picture of the cast.

I think a better idea would be just cancelling the show cuz it sucks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, here's the cast by tribes:

I would like to think the show will be used to break down stereotypes, but who knows. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder how many of those on the Hispanic tribe actually speak Spanish? That could get interesting. Being able to "covertly" communicate on the playing field could be an advantage.

I would wonder the same about the Asian team, but there are so many different Asian languages: Korean, Chinese-Mandarin, Chinese-Cantonese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc I think you'd have a far-less chance of them being able to communicate in foreign language. Spanish (for the most part) is Spanish, with some dialect differences.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I, for one, am glad that they're doing this. It's bound to be such a trainwreck that hopefully after this, they'll have to cancel the show and we can all stop hearing about it.