GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Helping out with Recruitment as an Alumna(us)

I graduated college in 2003. Now I am back in my hometown - Columbia, SC, home of the Univ of South Carolina. USC has a HUGE Greek system. This is the first year that I will be helping the Beta Omicron chapter at recruitment parties, and I'm so stoked! One of my pledge sisters (who is in Columbia for grad school) is coming with since we don't know a ton of the alums yet. And I mentioned that we can have all the fun of being at rush parties without the crappy parts - LONG hours at rush workshop, latenight voting sessions, etc. And rush at our college was a lot smaller since we went to a smaller school, so we're really excited to see how they do things at big Southern universities. Any alums with fun stories of helping out at rush? I'm so excited!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

dianne, you will have fun!! recruitment is my favorite time of the year. please keep us informed on how recruitment goes at usc-beta omicron is an awesome chapter. lisa
Old 08-13-2005, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

PKTKKG and I will be helping the Epsilon Kappa chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at USC with recruitment. This is one of our favorite times of the year--we just LOVE new Kappas!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I have helped several Gamma Phi Beta chapters with recruitment as an alumna in the past, and this year I will be lending my efforts to the ladies of Kappa chapter at the University of Minnesota. I'm very excited to help them out! It really is the best part about being an alumna - rush without all the extra hard stuff!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I have helped several Gamma Phi Beta chapters with recruitment as an alumna in the past, and this year I will be lending my efforts to the ladies of Kappa chapter at the University of Minnesota. I'm very excited to help them out! It really is the best part about being an alumna - rush without all the extra hard stuff!
And you can always hide in the back if you don't want to look decent........
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
it's so much fun! i actually enjoy hanging out with the other alums during the parties and catching up with them. the last couple of years, our local collegians have had a lot of alum support, although some can only come for a few hours. we also have fun running errands for the girls and either ordering or baking food for them. i LOVE bid day! all the excitement is contagious!

for all the alums....HAVE A GREAT TIME!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

This was my first time helping my chapter as an alumna, and I had the best time
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I haven't been back to my chapter to help but hope to help this year at the local collegiate chapter. The girls there are great & I've heard it's a lot of fun!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Unregistered-

My collegiate chapter's rush is the only time I'll retreat to the kitchen and wash dishes and glasses with a smile.

I always get nostalgic about the first time I ever walked into my first rush party...then to the first rush I did from the other side. It's great to see that things like that don't change.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Do NPC rules allow alumnae to actively participate in recruitment? (i.e. work the room, interview PNMs etc.) Seems like most of these posts have to do with behind the scene work.

While some campus IFC's (or specific fraternities) may not allow it, I am fairly certain that the NIC does not have any rules against alumni helping to rush PNMs.

Lambda Lambda Chapter of Sigma Chi (The University of Kentucky) is having a rush event dedicated to meeting Sigma Chi alumni. It's on the next to last night (Thursday) during rush week.

Quote:
Alumni Night

This unique night of rush is designed to allow potential members the opportunity to better understand our organization by hearing and meeting Sigma Chi alumni in addition to the active members. Students interested in seeing the Sigma Chi connection first-hand are encouraged to be present. Business attire is required, and food will be provided.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC alumna aren't supposed to interact with PNM's. At least that's what I was always told and practice.

When I go back to my chapter for recruitment.....I am armed with a huge vase of pink roses (sometimes 2), candy, and a big freakin' suitcase 'cause I move in for the weekend! This is my first one since 1998 that I will miss Day One and Two because of the chapter I advise has recruitment at the same time.

I have found that when you stay up putting aluminum foil on the ceilings till 4am with the girls and then your back up at 8am the next morning with them putting it back up AGAIN after it fell......they really appreciate you! Or at least acknowledge the fact that alumna DO help out!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
Do NPC rules allow alumnae to actively participate in recruitment? (i.e. work the room, interview PNMs etc.) Seems like most of these posts have to do with behind the scene work.
NPC rules don't allow alumnae to participate that way. But honestly, the behind the scenes work is what most chapters are thrilled to have help with. Our alumnae do alot of things during rush that we are SO thankful for. They help with things that if we had to do it all ourselves, we'd be exhausted by the time the PNM's walked through the door. So let's have a round applause for alumnae.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I helped my chapter with rush yesterday, and I'm doing it again tomorrow. I always have so much fun! Alums get to do stuff like serve the beverages (in our case, lemonade and Kool-Aid), clean up the philanthropy activity supplies, let the actives know when it's time to take the rushees down to watch the skit or when the "function" is over, that sort of thing. It's behind-the-scenes stuff, but I love it. You get to watch all the skits and see all the action, but from afar--it's a lot less stressful, but really fun. I also like doing it because I know the actives appreciate it; we always appreciated the things our wonderful alums did when I was an undergrad, so it's my turn to do it now.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to help out at recruitment but I'm not sure if my help is needed at my former chapter. Since I'm getting married & moving away in December, I'm already looking into joining the alumna group in my new city so I'll probably wait a while before I help out but I am still excited about doing this.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

As a chapter advisor, I'd say alumnae help is very much appreciated...esp when they are decorating while the chapter votes/practices, hopefully sleeps a little,...

I'm planning to go to another chapter's Pref and I'm soo excited..

It's totally thrilling to meet Alpha Gams anywhere but at different chapters's recruitment parties, it's soo emotional to see your vows in action by people you've just met..after all that's what all of our Founders wanted!.

Hey, Trish..I'll see you there!! Even if it's in the stairwell.