GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,452
6 members and 1,446 guests
KDKells, PGD-GRAD, Zach

Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Sophomore

Last edited by Duckgirl44; 08-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckgirl44 View Post
I rushed as a freshman at my university. In the end I did not take a bid because I realized I would be transferring to a new university in the fall and since each chapter is different I did not want to be part of a sorority that I would not fit into at my new school. I also changed my major. So I will be a sophomore but I will stay for four more years. I am basically a freshman all over again but have had a year already. I have read numerous times on gc that it is harder to receive a bid if you are a sophomore. I know it is different for every campus but is this true? and Will it still be true for me even though I will be on campus for four years? I will be attending a school of about 20,000 and I do not think the greek system is very cut-throat.
I am really nervous for rushing again. My first experience was not wonderful. So anything would really help me!
PNMs often come here asking the same question over and over again, and despite knowing what the answer is based on what they've already read on GC, they seem to think that the answer will change just for them so they can feel better.

To the OP, if you know it's different on every campus, don't bother asking if it's true. It just creates unnecessary stress.

It doesn't say in the NPC rule book that sophomores are automatically cut. No one here will be able to say "yes, you will be cut because you're a sophomore" or "no, you won't be cut because you'll be there for 4 years." A lot of things can happen between now and Bid Day that will determine whether or not you get that bid.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

put your best foot forward, do the best that you can and see where the chips fall. don't worry about things that are beyond your control. most likely, if your campus does not have a competitive recruitment then being a sophomore will not matter.

as you talk to sorority members, when your class rank comes up, tell them you are a sophomore in hours, but have switched your major, so will be graduating in 4 years.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

While you are on GC, try searching for your school in particular. There maybe some recruitment stories or some information that you may be able to find useful about your campus greek culture.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
PNMs often come here asking the same question over and over again, and despite knowing what the answer is based on what they've already read on GC, they seem to think that the answer will change just for them so they can feel better.

To the OP, if you know it's different on every campus, don't bother asking if it's true. It just creates unnecessary stress.

It doesn't say in the NPC rule book that sophomores are automatically cut. No one here will be able to say "yes, you will be cut because you're a sophomore" or "no, you won't be cut because you'll be there for 4 years." A lot of things can happen between now and Bid Day that will determine whether or not you get that bid.
Co-sign, especially the first paragraph!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually went through recruitment as a sophmore and as a junior. Much like yourself, I didn't join as a sophmore because I knew that I was going to be transferring to another school and didn't want to become involved in something for just one semester. I actually think going through recruitment as a junior and joining at that stage in my college career worked out really well for me. I knew more of who I was and what I was looking for in a sorority. I was past the point of just wanting to have fun and party and hang out with fraternity boys, and was really able to take into consideration what the sorority really stood for and what it could do for me in the long run. As far as whether it would be harder to recieve a bid for not being a freshman, if that's how the sorority is thinking, and if they are being that picky, then maybe that's not really the place for you anyways. Really, all you can do is be yourself, be open and honest, and just have fun! Good luck!
Asheville Alumnae Chapter - President
Connect. Impact. Shine.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to reveal your campus, people here can speculate a little more about how much it hurts to be anything other than a freshman, but revealing your campus creates other problems in terms of people figuring out who you are in real life.

But honestly, without knowing where a person is going through recruitment, there's really nothing to say about what a sophomore's chances are. Some places it doesn't matter at all; other places it eliminates some chapters.