GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 996
1 members and 995 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

No-Recs

Do No-Recs really work? Are they like a blackball?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no experience with recs, writing, or reading them. But, I would guess that it depends on several factors:

1. The reason(s) or severity the alumna gave for giving a PNM a no-rec.
2. The chapter's knowledge of this alumna.
3. How well the alumna knows the PNM / how likely it is that what the alumna is saying is true.
4. How many PNMs the chapter has to per the RFM.

Last edited by violetpretty; 09-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Do No-Recs really work? Are they like a blackball?
They aren't like a blackball. (At least, not in my understanding of what "blackball" has traditionally meant in the Greek system.)

However, the chapter would certainly take it into strong consideration. (Different groups may have different ways of handling them, subject to their membership selection processes.) Unless there were some very valid reason to discount the opinion of the alumnae who wrote the no-rec, I'd say that in a competitive rush a no-rec would certainly hurt a girl's chances.

After all, in a very competitive rush where you're looking to pare down your list any way you can, something like a no-rec or a bad GPA is going to make deciding between 2 otherwise similar PNMs a little easier.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Très intéressant.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a little off topic... but that does happen here, I supposed.

I remember hearing a few years ago someone anonymously sent packets of newspaper clippings to every sorority at UGA. The newspaper clippings were about a PNM who had been involved in a drunk driving accident. (I think the girl was from Georgia, and the large envelopes were mailed someplace random like Kentucky)

I'm not sure what happened, but I believe the girl was heavily cut first round or found out what had been sent and dropped out on her own.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Damn, that's kinda crucial!

I wonder if that happens in NPHC or NIC organizations as well.

My fraternity doesn't have the blackball or a no-rec system, but I think it's pretty easy to contact a chapter and warn them about a bad aspirant.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I have written 80 zillion billion good recs. I've written only 2 no-recs. Regarding one girl, I had been the chaperone of a group of students who were overseas. This kid tried to pick up French sailors, offended people from various countries with her dress and language, you name it. I don't know if she ever pledged anywhere else.

The other one was a counselor at a Scout camp where my daughters and I work. This girl had physically attacked other counselors, hitting them and even scoring one with her fingernails. My oldest and I both wrote no-recs to our sororities. I heard later that the Greek advisor had talked one sorority into giving her a bid and then from a member of that group that they threw her out a couple of weeks later.

I have never, ever regretted sending those no-recs.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow....

By the way, I realized that I could potentially be asking private information, so I apologize if it's too intrusive.

Feel free to share if your oath and bylaws allow you.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have written 80 zillion billion good recs. I've written only 2 no-recs. Regarding one girl, I had been the chaperone of a group of students who were overseas. This kid tried to pick up French sailors, offended people from various countries with her dress and language, you name it. I don't know if she ever pledged anywhere else.

The other one was a counselor at a Scout camp where my daughters and I work. This girl had physically attacked other counselors, hitting them and even scoring one with her fingernails. My oldest and I both wrote no-recs to our sororities. I heard later that the Greek advisor had talked one sorority into giving her a bid and then from a member of that group that they threw her out a couple of weeks later.

I have never, ever regretted sending those no-recs.

I think carnation makes some very good points.

Alumnae should reserve a no-rec letter for rare situations with extenuating circumstances. If a young woman who you only feel mildly neutral about asks you for a rec letter, you can always politely decline. The no-rec letter is something to be used sparingly...where you have very real reason to believe that a PNM would be a detriment to the chapter.

No-recs shouldn't be written for trivial reasons - the chapter's membership selection process should work in those cases. No-recs are for situations where its something serious that the chapter is unlikely to discover during rush.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been writing sponsor forms for over 30 years...spent 14 years as my group's city sponsorship chairman so I've done 1000s. I know how to write a good form, an average form, a "poor" form and a "no." The chapters I write for know I mean "no" for a very good reason...as an example, the drug unit came to school and carried the young woman off in handcuffs...as did actually happen. I've often had other alums tell me someone was not XX material...well, she very well might be at ABC chapter....I don't make that distinction...it's up to the chapter...I just give them the facts...great/average/bad grades,lots/few/no activities, etc. So, I've done very few "no" forms over the years but I really meant the ones I wrote.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

From the other side: I was Rec Chairman for my chapter. We received one No-Rec while I was Chairman, and that PNM may as well have had a target on her back from the time she walked in. I can't say why she received the No-Rec.

As an Advisor, two PNMs received No-Recs. The chapter wasn't told, but after two parties, it was announced that neither would be returning. I think it's safe to say that the chapter had already been turned off by the two of them, anyhow.

I've sent two No-Recs. Suffice it to say that I would feel sorry for any sorority who would have bid either of these women. Very sorry.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
as an example, the drug unit came to school and carried the young woman off in handcuffs...as did actually happen
Wow. Forget getting into a sorority, how do you get into a college after something like that?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
Wow. Forget getting into a sorority, how do you get into a college after something like that?
I know of several people where this did happen to them, and they did get into college afterwards... This is why recommendations can be so important. There are many young women I come into contact with where I would be placed in a no-rec situation, particularly because of their past behavior. Do people change? Yes. Does that mean you want to help them become a member of your organization? Probably not.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've been writing sponsor forms for over 30 years...spent 14 years as my group's city sponsorship chairman so I've done 1000s. I know how to write a good form, an average form, a "poor" form and a "no." The chapters I write for know I mean "no" for a very good reason...as an example, the drug unit came to school and carried the young woman off in handcuffs...as did actually happen. I've often had other alums tell me someone was not XX material...well, she very well might be at ABC chapter....I don't make that distinction...it's up to the chapter...I just give them the facts...great/average/bad grades,lots/few/no activities, etc. So, I've done very few "no" forms over the years but I really meant the ones I wrote.
I have only been writing recs for about 5 years and have written many glowing recs and one no-rec. The chapter took my no-rec to heart and dropped the PNM after skits. Although the PNM was beautiful, a cheerleader and super popular, she had accused my younger sister (my blood sister ) of changing the Homecoming Queen ballots at our high school so the girls' opponent would win. My sister was questioned by the principals, etc. Needless to say, my sister did not change the ballots (nor had any reason to - she wasn't in the running) and our families' are no longer friendly. I don't regret writing that no-rec one bit...I wouldn't want someone like that as my KD sister.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I have written recs for the last 5 years and out of them, one no-rec. I knew the young woman from her having taken a class I taught, was able to see first-hand her character (or lack thereof) and didn't hesitate writing it.