GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,632
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, damastopy6073
» Online Users: 2,328
2 members and 2,326 guests
PGD-GRAD, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-15-2024, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

VCU Sorority Suspended

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...253D&amp_kit=1

Last edited by Zach; 05-15-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Heavens! I thought you meant Valdosta State, and I was so shocked! I believe you mean VCU.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Heavens! I thought you meant Valdosta State, and I was so shocked! I believe you mean VCU.
My mistake. Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU
Old 05-16-2024, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I read that transactions were made via a members-only website.
But WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? These are not children— 20, 21, 22 year-olds KNOW what they’re doing. Many of them have ruined their careers and future lives, let alone fracturing their families and personal reputations.

As sexist as this sounds—I immediately thought it MUST be a fraternity. After all, young Southern sorority women do NOT deal drugs! Well, I guess they CAN and DO.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Doesn’t surprise me. They’re still human. Probably selling “other” drugs, too. We’ve got priests copping feels on kids, and pastors impregnating several women in the church. Doesn’t surprise me in the least.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
Doesn’t surprise me. They’re still human. Probably selling “other” drugs, too. We’ve got priests copping feels on kids, and pastors impregnating several women in the church. Doesn’t surprise me in the least.
Facts. That sorority is not exempt. Drug pushers come in all genders, races, young and old.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=PGD-GRAD;2505940]I read that transactions were made via a members-only website.
But WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?? These are not children— 20, 21, 22 year-olds KNOW what they’re doing. Many of them have ruined their careers and future lives, let alone fracturing their families and personal reputations.

As sexist as this sounds—I immediately thought it MUST be a fraternity. After all, young Southern sorority women do NOT deal drugs! Well, I guess they CAN and DO.[/QUO

As an FYI there is nothing Southern about VCU, or its Sororities. It's a big Urban university with a very large art school and many left leaning students. Just take a look at some of the Sororities' Instas and you will see that there is nothing Southern about these women.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

MEA CULPA! I realize that after hearing about how different recruitment is in the South, I immediately labeled VCU as that. Being Greek in one region or another doesn’t matter—if it ever did.
And you are ALL CORRECT. Things have—and are—changing, sadly not always for the better. I know ALL young people are capable of committing crimes, I just prefer to think the best.
I will say this—as a 25+ year advisor, I sat and tried to think how I would handle this if it were my group. My first inclination would be to walk away. But that’s not me.

I’m curious: any advisors want to weight in on how they’d react to this? Because no matter what you’d say, the chapter you’d grown to love is no more. Yet I know there are always members who were in the dark and are devastated.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Just so you know, Phi Mu immediately pulled their Charter, released New Members so they could pledge elsewhere, and kicked out a bunch of Sisters. I'm not sure if they kicked out everyone, or if they let some go alum. I don't know if the entire chapter was part of the Chat Group where they were selling drugs, but I suspect that the majority of members were.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
MEA CULPA! I realize that after hearing about how different recruitment is in the South, I immediately labeled VCU as that. Being Greek in one region or another doesn’t matter—if it ever did.
And you are ALL CORRECT. Things have—and are—changing, sadly not always for the better. I know ALL young people are capable of committing crimes, I just prefer to think the best.
I will say this—as a 25+ year advisor, I sat and tried to think how I would handle this if it were my group. My first inclination would be to walk away. But that’s not me.

I’m curious: any advisors want to weight in on how they’d react to this? Because no matter what you’d say, the chapter you’d grown to love is no more. Yet I know there are always members who were in the dark and are devastated.
I agree. I don’t think it matters where someone joined their greek letter organization or where they went to school or whatnot. People place too much emphasis on that. A lot of the decisions folks make are based on their upbringing. Organizations are comprised of individual people, regardless of the region, and each of those individual people have their own internal struggles.

I’m not an advisor, but I believe it’s so important for young men in my fraternity to understand the progression of things and how things happen because nothing just happens. Everything happens for a reason. For instance, the current condition of your (in general) life is a result of your past decisions and actions. But that’s only on the surface. If you really want to know the foundation of the decisions and actions that are responsible for your current place in life, it’s important to understand the internal motivating factors. None of that is based on where you went to school, what greek letter organization you pledged, or where you pledged — the reason why some of those young ladies were selling and using drugs.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I don’t know what the fascination of the south is all about. People with issues are everywhere. I also don’t know what the left vs. the right has to do with selling drugs.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Yeah, I don’t know what the fascination of the south is all about. People with issues are everywhere. I also don’t know what the left vs. the right has to do with selling drugs.
I agree on this, the only thing I would tie this to is that *some* drugs do *tend* to have a "political alignment". The sentencing controversy on Cocaine vs. Crack. Over the last four years, Ivermectrin's misuse. traditionally, LSD. Abuse of Perscription Drugs is too broad a category to really get a feeling. Perscription misuse could even involve Viagara, which gets into other issues.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Per Phi Mu's press release, they ceased operations due to violations of Phi Mu Fraternity policies, University policies, and state and federal law. There was absolutely no mention of this drug stuff.

Also, per the release: "All Phis were released from their pledge and are eligible to join another NPC organization. The status of former collegiate members is now that of a non-member, unless they were otherwise notified individually. If not dismissed from Phi Mu, members will be granted alumnae status depending on their status with the chapter and Phi Mu nationally."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmagnolia921 View Post
Just so you know, Phi Mu immediately pulled their Charter, released New Members so they could pledge elsewhere, and kicked out a bunch of Sisters. I'm not sure if they kicked out everyone, or if they let some go alum. I don't know if the entire chapter was part of the Chat Group where they were selling drugs, but I suspect that the majority of members were.