GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,215
1 members and 1,214 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

How's AI Been for You?

To all AIs:

I'm just curious as to how your experience has been so far now that you've been intiated.

1. How active are you?

2. What types of activities have you attended?

3. Do you hold any offices?

4. What's been the most rewarding part of being a part of your GLO?

5. Have you been disappointed in anything?

6. Is it what you expected?

7. How has your overall AI experience been?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How's AI Been for You?

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel
To all AIs:

I'm just curious as to how your experience has been so far now that you've been intiated.

Quote:
1. How active are you?
I'd say that I'm semi-active within my GLO and very active within the alumnae panhellenic organization

Quote:
Feast of Roses (dinner after fall initiation), IRD (International Reunion Day--our real Founders' Day is May 30, but since most people are out of school, we celebrate it on the third weekend of April), and other Alpha Gam related activities such as Alpha Gam Always, Lighting of Tapers. I'm trying to get involved with the Housing Association as well.

Quote:
Not for AGD, but this year, I organized a roundtable discussion for alumnae executives and will likely handle the TAAP (Toronto Alumnae Panhellenic) newsletter in 2005-2006.

Quote:
Making new friends and being more involved!

Quote:
Not really, but I'd like to do more for my GLO.

Quote:
I'd say so

Quote:
WONDERFUL!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
1. How active are you? -
I attend meetings, help out with the collegiate chapter. Pretty active. I stay as active as I can. I work and have a family (husband and 15 year old stepson)

Recruitment, Founder's Day, chapter meetings, movie day with collegiates, Senior Send Off and awards, Initiation. I hope to go to Convention next year. I plan on attending many activities as possible

3. Do you hold any offices? Co-VP Programming, VP Membership

4. What's been the most rewarding part of being a part of your GLO? Seeing the new members become actives, welcoming the graduating seniors into alumnae membership. Forming a bond with these wonderful women and always looking to meet other sisters.

5. Have you been disappointed in anything? copying this from Ariesrising since we are in the same chapter. She said it well!
Our local alumnae chapter is trying to get more active, and it's disappointing to plan things only to see so few show up - so alumnae apathy is the most disappointing thing so far.

6. Is it what you expected? Yes and no. Wow, I had no idea it is such a learning process. I love to learn new things and new details so I have been having fun. I have been getting my hands on everything I can so I can learn about my GLO and how things are done. Sure there are some faux pas I committed along the way and learned from attending the school of hard knocks, but it helps create character and make me a better person. I didn't expect to see women so loving and accepting so it was a pleasant surprise. I have met and become friends with wonderful women in my own GLO and other GLOs.

7. How has your overall AI experience been? I am so glad I joined! I could say I wish I joined earlier, but then again the experience might have been different. I really love being able to help out and get out and do things. I love reading our magazine...I like froth at the mouth when I know the new one is coming. (kinda the same reaction when the new People mag comes out) I love the fact that I have sisters everywhere and look forward to meeting more.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

1. How active are you? Not as much as I would like to be. I've actually done a fair bit given that I haven't attended any meetings - they're held at 11am every first Monday! (some of us work 8-5! LOL)

2. What types of activities have you attended? Convention, recruitment for both my chapter and the SDSU chapter, Founders' Day, Initiation, and one young alums event. Plus I got to hang out with my sis, Cele, when she came to town.

3. Do you hold any offices? Not yet. I think that the chapter advisor is finally realizing that I really am volunteering to help! We recently discussed me becoming an advisor for next year.

4. What's been the most rewarding part of being a part of your GLO? Developing friendships with some terrific ladies and playing a part in the initiation of the new members in my chapter!

5. Have you been disappointed in anything? I'm not really disappointed in Gamma Phi Beta at all. If I had to pick on something, it would be that it was a lot harder to volunteer to help than I thought it would be!

6. Is it what you expected? Sure! So far there hasn't been anything that really surprised me or anything. Perhaps when I start advising I'll feel a bit lost for a while, but so far so good!

7. How has your overall AI experience been? Great! I find being a Gamma Phi Beta rewarding on several levels. First, it's fun to meet up with the young alums and make new friends. Also, our chapter advisor is big on networking. During introductions, we actually go around the room and give our name, chapter, occupation and state if we need anything. Just as an example, "My name is Kelly and I'm an Epsilon Gamma - University of San Diego. I work in Student Affairs and my sister's cat needs a really good home." So, if anyone loves cats and is possibly willing to adopt it, they can talk to me. We have ladies who have been able to get jobs, career advice and even dates using this introduction system! Plus, we have a listserve where Gamma Phis post if they have job openings at their place of employment. San Diego Gamma Phis have each others' backs. Finally, as someone who works in higher education, my AI experience has given me one extra opportunity to identify with the students I work with. When the sorority ladies come into my office, I sometimes mention Gamma Phi and it's like we have an instant shared interest. Again, so far, so good! I'm looking forward to see what Gamma Phi Beta has in store for me!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
5. Have you been disappointed in anything? copying this from Ariesrising since we are in the same chapter. She said it well!
Our local alumnae chapter is trying to get more active, and it's disappointing to plan things only to see so few show up - so alumnae apathy is the most disappointing thing so far.
Get used to it.........we've been dealing with member apathy since we formed in 1999. We finally just resigned ourselves to the fact that some women are going to pay dues and never attend anything.

And trying to get people to step up for Exec positions is like pulling teeth.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How's AI Been for You?

1. How active are you?
I am very active at the international level

Mostly international events like conventions, regional leadership conferences, volunteer trainings and international meetings

I am currently a chapter advisor and the international Ritual Coordinator. I also serve on the educational foundation board. Past positions have included a vice presidency on the international executive council and regional advisory roles.

My sisters! I met one of my dearest friends (from another chapter) through my volunteer involvement with my sorority. I also love working with the collegiate members, helping them acheieve and be successful.

Well....when you're as involved as I have been, you tend to get to see a little bit of everything, some of it disappointing. I've experienced so many highs and lows--but overall, I love being involved.

Yes--and more!

Becoming an AI may be one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has changed and challenged me in so many ways!!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad to see that AI has turned out to be such a wonderful experience for all of you!