GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,535
0 members and 1,535 guests
No Members online

Old 10-29-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Question re: potential alum initiates

Maybe my mind is just working in "criminal mode" today....

And I mean NO disrespect to those of you on this board who are alum initiates of GLOs....I admire you totally and I am SO happy to see GLOs accepting alum initiates....I wish all groups would do this!

But does anybody know if there is a procedure in place to check whether or not a potential initiate is ALREADY a member of another NPC group?? I mean, what is to stop someone from becoming an initiate of ABC group, and then transferring schools and pledging (and initiating into) XYZ group?

Or, say Susie Sorority rushed, got a bid from ABC (she's not at all happy w/ ABC but it's the only group who extend a bid to her) - and she pledges and initiates into ABC - and years later (after college), she decides she wants to pursue alumnae membership in XYZ group. Does/can XYZ group even check to see if Susie had ever been initiated into any other NPC group??

Does any of this makes sense?? I had never even considered this scenario but another member of UK Panhel voiced some concerns and I thought I'd post it here for comment...(plus I am BORED at work today lol!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

It makes sense, but I'd hate to think of anyone doing it! I wonder if there is any sort of NPC 'database' or if each sorority's nationals has a master list of all initiated sisters. I'm pretty sure that at least each nationals keeps track of that, but I don't know how anyone would go about checking it.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Each sorority does have a master list and hopefully keeps close tabs on it. Some are currently being more watchful because of a recent incident involving someone who wanted to do that very thing. These groups have warned their alum and active chapters that a certain woman of 20-21 years might try to either rush their active chapters, perp her way into them, or try for alum initiation. It's a sad case.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that we send in social security numbers of women that get initiated into our chapter. I think most sororities do this and that is how our panhellenic does it. They check your social with national orgs if you transfer from another school and then rush.
Sarah

Facebook