GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,612
0 members and 1,612 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up just wondering

one has to wonder how saepi's doing. it sounds like their first rush just finished after the tv thing?
the website is strangely quiet.
cheers

Last edited by mmcat; 10-13-2002 at 01:02 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2002, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

i was wondering the same thing the other day
Old 10-13-2002, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

i was actually thinking the same thing.... any one have any ideas ?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm probably going to come off as a real idiot, but I just assumed that the whole thing was staged. I mean, who has a pledge house like that, separate from the "real" house? Plus, take SAE and AEPi, and you have the combination for their letters.

We (mostly the Greeks among us) were discussing this on another message board, and they also thought it was a total set up. Does anybody know if this chapter really exists?

honeychile
Old 10-13-2002, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they really exist. They are at UC-Davis, where they have been for about four years (I think... maybe five).

They did not have a pledge house before the show. MTV rented and decorated it for them so that they would have a common place to film the new members without running into privacy problems with roommates, etc...
Old 10-13-2002, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes -- the pledge house was rented by MTV; SAEPi never had it before last spring and they won't ever have it again. And as for the name, according to their website, it stands for "Sisters of Alpha Epsilon Pi" -- apparently the UC-Davis chapter of AEPi supported them quite a bit in their quest to start a sorority.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't think that there weren't elements of "stagedness" to the series, but I'm pretty sure the sorority itself actually exists.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well....

If y'all know that they exist, and especially if they're on your campus, why don't y'all invite them to GreekChat?

I think it would be TERRRIBLY interesting - for more reasons than rush!

honeychile
Old 10-13-2002, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I think there was a girl who was really good friends with them on here... I forgot her username. Also, one of them was "supposedly" on here (Mara, maybe?) but I don't know if it was really her or not.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:19 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Well....

If y'all know that they exist, and especially if they're on your campus, why don't y'all invite them to GreekChat?

I think it would be TERRRIBLY interesting - for more reasons than rush!

honeychile
There have been Sigma sisters who have found there way to our boards. I can only recall two sisters who have posted though--Zuma [an SAEPi Alumna], and SigmaJoy.

There may have been more, so feel free to check out the threads regarding Sorority Life in the GreekLife and Chit Chat forums.

They were not allowed to disclose any information during the time it was on TV and it'd be great if they could come back and post...but if they're not comfortable with things related to Sorority Life...I don't blame them for staying away!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

They have a nice Web site (lots of pictures) but it hasn't been updated since the Sorority Life finale. I want to know how they are doing with recruitment.

http://www.sigmaaepi.com/
Old 10-14-2002, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

UC-Davis is on a quarter system, so I don't even know if they are back in school yet...But they might be.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

They really do exist... I live about 2 hours away from Davis and have been there a few times to hang otu with friends who go there and I've seen the house with my own eyes. I do not have any information about how they are doing with rush .. but Davis is back in school... they started like Sept. 23... all of the UC system schools did. Maybe they aren't going to rush until the craziness dies down a bit ?? I knwo NPC rush has taken place at Davis I"m pretty sure... Ne way... just a little point of information for you all
Old 10-14-2002, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.californiaaggie.com/_articles/3987.taf
Old 10-15-2002, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink A post from a real Sigma AEPi sister! Okay.....alumna.

Hi Everyone -

I was invited by PsychTau to give you an update on Sigma AEPi. Unfortunately, since I graduated in June, I no longer have the "inside scoop;" However, I am still in contact with my sisters, and I am happy to answer the inquiries posted above.

Sigma's fall rush went better than expected. We had a lot of women come out, and even had to cap the number of bids given out. This is the second time Sigma had limit the number of bids. We pride ourselves on being non-exclusive, but a small organization can only take so many new members at one time.

I was Sigma's first web master, and served in that position for the past three years. This summer, I trained the new web masters. I have not done that much work on the site since I graduated. If I were still in Davis, I would have taken rush pictures and put them on-line. Hopefully, one of my sisters will give the new web masters some pictures for the gallery. I do have pictures from our summer/fall retreat. I will try to get them up some time in the next week.

Honeychile, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi is a real organization. Go look at some of the older pictures in our photo gallery. Those couldn't have been staged by MTV so far in advance. Some day, I will put up pictures from the first year. I just don't have the energy to do that much scanning right now. (Man, I love digital cameras!) Yes, based on the show, it is hard to believe any organization really runs the way it was portrayed on TV. Let me tell you, it doesn't! The cameras didn't even bother coming to our community service events, and the editors took out a lot of the stuff that is much more representative of the organization.

FuzzieAlum, thanks for the article. I didn't even know about it. I just updated the Sigma web site with it.

I hope this clears the questions you had. Thanks to all of you who supported us during the season.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

SigmaJoy, thanks for the update. I'll be sure to tell the others who questioned SAEPi to go check out your website. I'm sure MTV showed what they wanted to show, but you probably came off better than y'all thought.

Fraternally,
honeychile