GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,181
2 members and 1,179 guests
Cookiez17, nataliecavsoz41

Old 01-22-2001, 11:50 PM

Post Alumna Chair

Hey everyone, I was just appointed alumna chair for my sorority. And I am very excited and I want to so some awesome stuff for our alumna. So does anyone have idea?

[This message has been edited by kdgirlie (edited January 23, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2001, 12:51 AM
Unregistered-

Thumbs up

My chapter has a wonderful alumnae chapter, so a few years ago we created alum chums, where a collegian gets paired up with an alumna and a unique bond is created between the two women.

Another one of our favorites is an alumnae appreciation brunch which we hold every semester. Not all alumnae are able to make it, so we usually have a smaller second appreciation event to ensure that all of our alumnae are recognized.

Also, since AGD is the only NPC womens fraternity here in Hawaii, we try to include alums from other NPC sororities in our state in some of our AGD functions. AXO, ADPi, APhi, XO, Tri-Delta, DG, DZ, Gamma Phi Beta, KAO, KD, KKG, Pi Phi, SK, and ZTA have wonderful alumnae, and even though they don't have undergraduate chapters here, we recognize them also because they do great things for Panhellenic of Hawaii.

Our alumnae have won numerous awards in the past, throw us a scholarship banquet each semester our chapter achieves a 3.0+ GPA, and they always support our events beyond our expectations. Congratulations on your office!

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*

[This message has been edited by OohTeenyWahine (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-2001, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
KDGirlie,
One of the best things you can do for your alumnae is to communicate with them and include them in events.

Make sure you invite them to participate in your philanthropy events, extend an invitation to them for Founder's Day, pledging, initiation or house rededication rituals.

Plan at least one collegiate/alumnae event each semester. Make sure you get to know your counterpart in the alumnae chapter and work with her to plan these events.

Send a copy of your chapter newsletter to the alumnae chapter secretary.

Send birthday cards to the alumnae throughout the year.

Support alumnae activities when possible.

Respect your alumnae and advisors and they will do the same!

Barbara
President, Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter
Zeta Tau Alpha
Old 01-23-2001, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Trax, could not agree with you more on keeping in touch with the Alums.
My chapter didn't and wondered why there was NO RESPONSE from us. I got back fully involved and we are do many things.
We have a mentoring group of Alums who go back down and work with the chapter, started an Alum group in Kansas City with more stating around the country, Alums participating in the Ritual, and working towards a new house.
But remember, if the active chapter does not keep the Alums informed then we feel left out and somewhat bitter.
We are having the 35 th Yr. Reunion of when I started the local and where we are now. We have more Alums coming back for this event than anytime in our history. Alums can be a great boon to a house only if you keep them updated on events and news. We want to be kept informed and feel as we are still part of the group. I will always be a Lambda Chi Alpha no matter what!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 01-24-2001, 03:37 PM

hey ya'll
thanks for all the responses. I am super excited about all of my alums-- all 615 of them
Old 02-06-2001, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

In the last year the VP of ALumni Affairs in my chapter and I have increased alumni participation by four fold. We send out an Alumni newsletter about 4-5 times a year. We have a Founder's Day Golf Tournament which is solely for alumni. We also have an extensive alumni directory spreadsheet. Its kept up to date through a form on a web page, the alumni simply fill out the data and select whether its a new entry or an update and we get a formatted email right away. If you want to see it or copy the html the go here http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_orgs/frat_s...au/alumni.html email me at msbrown2@unity.ncsu.edu if you have any questions.
Old 03-31-2001, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I was alumni chair for my chapter last semester, and my first advice would be to get in contact with alumni...see how their personal lives are going, make a connection in that way, and then it will be easier to do all the official stuff. Let everyone know well in advance of when alumni weekend will be, and plan the events well in advance. Alumni newsletters are always a good idea, we do one in the fall and one in the spring. One of the events we have which is a good idea is an alumni/undergrad lunch, which serves as a sort of roundtable discussion. Alumni and undergrads are both able to voice their questions, comments and concerns, and everyone gets a better understanding of where everyone else is coming from. Other than that, just make it fun...try to put yourself in the alumni's shoes, that will make things much easier.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Talking

Any activity that the chapter does, try to invite alumnae. Don't think that just because it's a car wash (or something else that sounds "ordinary") no one will want to come. You'd be suprised. It's even more special to get invited when the events aren't "special events" (like homecoming or founder's day). A sisterhood ice cream social, movie night, pottery painting,....just invite, invite, invite.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:58 PM

Cool

kdgirlie -

Check out the "stop alumni abuse & waste now" and "alums need love too" threads.