GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,441
2 members and 1,439 guests
HONKY660, Xidelt

Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Are guys told to be nicer?

They say that frat guys are so horrible, but sometimes it really seems like they are actually nicer than most guys in general. Just friendly and helpful. And these are like the standard SigEps, Phi Theta Delta, not the academic fraternities (not like anything's wrong with the academic ones, but i'm just trying to be clear). So yeah, is nice-ness something they look for in recruitment, or do they tell them to be aware of how they act or something? Just curious.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM

If a guy in a fraternity is friendly/helpful, chances are good that he was like that BEFORE he joined. They generally aren't TOLD to be nice to anyone. If a person is nice, that's just how they are.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambii2010 View Post
They say that frat guys are so horrible, but sometimes it really seems like they are actually nicer than most guys in general. Just friendly and helpful. And these are like the standard SigEps, Phi Theta Delta, not the academic fraternities (not like anything's wrong with the academic ones, but i'm just trying to be clear). So yeah, is nice-ness something they look for in recruitment, or do they tell them to be aware of how they act or something? Just curious.
Mrs. Bambii2010, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Mrs. Bambii2010, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Apparently fraternity men are NOT instructed to be nicer or more helpful.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And apparently, you've watched Billy Madison one time too many.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Stop looking at me, swan.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This made my day thank you!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I love that line. I have reason to say it often...but I refrain.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I love that line. I have reason to say it often...but I refrain.
I replay that line constantly in my head - then again, I teach high school. I'm used to hearing moronic comments that fit "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

While I salute EW's comment in the name of resenting silly stereotypes, I will say that at good fraternity chapters being respectful of ladies in social settings is expected. Rushees are not instructed in being socially respectable or asked to be nice- if they don't come into rush with that mentality then they have nothing to offer a chapter.

Of all the things a rushee can do to kill a chance of getting a bid, pissing off a female guest at a rush party is number one. And this is why it is vitally important for rush to include social events with ladies. This is the critical test to determine if a rushee is an acceptable candidate.

Incidentally, in my experience this is one reason lousy chapters have a hard time getting ladies to attend their parties. Not knowing how to be respectful to women seems to go hand in hand with so many other issues.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It's who we look for in rush, and being disrespectful to women is one of the things that can get you cut during pledgeship, no questions asked, if the chapter sees fit.

So no, we aren't making our fraternity guys be nicer than the average males, we're just only taking the ones who are.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygphib View Post
I replay that line constantly in my head - then again, I teach high school. I'm used to hearing moronic comments that fit "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
I can relate. But it is not good to make the youth cry.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

The first fraternity guy I dated was a TKE. (A different chapter from my husband's.) He told me that they were given ettiquette classes on how to be with women. This included walking in front of a woman when going down stairs and in back when going up and keeping her on the inside when walking down a road. He went through in the mid 80s.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ha! My husband quotes Billy Madison all the time!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
jessicaelaine

On my campus I've noticed that different fraternities act differently towards women as a whole. I think that is mostly because not only do the fraternities who value treating women well recruitment men that do the same, but also once a men is a member of that fraternity they are led by example and begin to take on those same qualities. There is one fraternity on my campus that is awesome and if a girl is at their house she will hear a number of time "do you need anything?" or "can i do anything for you?" or if a member overhears a woman say something about being thirsty or cold will just automatically do what is needed. Another group is nice to the women they know and are accomindating, but I don't think would go above and beyond or anything. The other few groups either horrible to women, completly clueless about how to act around women or treat us like we're one of the guys. At least it's nice to know what I can expect when I'm with the different groups.