GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,534
0 members and 1,534 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

COB @ SMU

Just wondering if anyone has any specific info on COB at SMU (Southern Methodist University) for upperclassmen. I transferred to SMU and I recieved an email from a sorority back a few months ago about going Greek as an upperclassmen. It was basically an invite that was sent to a couple hundred girls inviting them to meet the Recruitment Chair. I would love to have the opportunity to join a sorority but SMU is pretty competitive and I just don't know that much about the COB process. If anyone has gone throught this process I would love to hear how it works.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM

COB and how it works tends to vary by chapter. Every chapter at SMU may do things differently, since it is not formal recruitment. Generally, it is less structured than formal recruitment.

It generally involves attending events hosted by the sorority and getting to know the members. Events may vary. I know that sororities at my school did alot of different things for COB (ice skating, game nights, mocktail parties, etc). The sorority will usually host some events, invite potential members to come, get to know them, and then choose to extend bids to the women that they would like to have as members.

This is a very general description and I suggest contacting the Greek Life Office at your school to determine how things work at SMU.

I would definitely suggest attending any COB events you are invited to. It will give you a chance to get to know the chapters at your school. Also, you'll never know if you will get a bid if you don't go.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-09-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're interested in joining a sorority, I hope you take the recruitment chair up on her offer. COB events are usually pretty fun, and you have nothing to lose by attending one. Email the sorority back directly and find out more info.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

KSUViolet06
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think I am eligible to join a sorority b/c I am a part time student. I just realized this after I posted. It kind of stinks b/c I have friends that have told me about their great experiences as sisters and I feel like I will never get to have that experience. I guess it's not meant to be after all.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettxbelle View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think I am eligible to join a sorority b/c I am a part time student. I just realized this after I posted. It kind of stinks b/c I have friends that have told me about their great experiences as sisters and I feel like I will never get to have that experience. I guess it's not meant to be after all.
You're right, students must be full-time in order to participate in any Panhellenic sorority recruitment.

Lakers Nation.