GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,222
0 members and 1,222 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA question.. Is this lying?

Hello everyone. I have been a longtime reader of the boards, and I finally got the nerve to make an account so I can ask this question.
I sincerely apologize in advance if this is a stupid question or it has already been answered elsewhere.
My GPA right now is a 2.86. Not horrible, but obviously nothing to be proud of, either. This is due to me really struggling (I honestly mean that, in my case, struggling is not synonymous to partying too hard) my first semester in a math and an upperclassman level media class, and I recieved c's in both. My grades improved signifigantly last semester, but I still have yet to break a 3.0.
I am taking 3 classes over summer, and if I recieve an A in all 3, which I expect to, my GPA will be a 3.06.
Is it lying to put the 3.06 when registering for recruitment if I register before the grades are officially posted? How about on my legacy/ Rec forms? I am rushing as a sophomore at a fairly competive non-sec southern university, so I already feel disadvantaged.

Thank you!

Last edited by Janieladie; 05-17-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Typo!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janieladie View Post
Hello everyone. I have been a longtime reader of the boards, and I finally got the nerve to make an account so I can ask this question.
I sincerely apologize in advance if this is a stupid question or it has already been answered elsewhere.
My GPA right now is a 2.86. Not horrible, but obviously nothing to be proud of, either. This is due to me really struggling (I honestly mean that, in my case, struggling is not synonymous to partying too hard) my first semester in a math and an upperclassman level media class, and I recieved c's in both. My grades improved signifigantly last semester, but I still have yet to break a 3.0.
I am taking 3 classes over summer, and if I recieve an A in all 3, which I expect to, my GPA will be a 3.06.
Is it lying to put the 3.06 when registering for recruitment if I register before the grades are officially posted? How about on my legacy/ Rec forms? I am rushing as a sophomore at a fairly competive non-sec southern university, so I already feel disadvantaged.

Thank you!
Yes, it would be lying. Put your current GPA. If it goes up after summer school, contact the Greek Life Office and request to update your registration GPA.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm in no way implying that you're dumb.

However, to assume that you're going to get As in all three classes this summer is a little presumptuous. And imagine what would happen if you received a B... Then you'd probably find yourself having to explain why you lied, and I can pretty much guarantee you'd never receive a bid anywhere.

It is lying. Do what WhiteDaisy said and wait until after your official grades to come in before you start writing random numbers down to try and look better for recruitment.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

Ditto to what WhiteDaisy said. Your gpa is the one that the school has on your official records. There is no projected gpa.

Also, keep in mind that hastily making plans based on grades is a common mistake, particularly for collegiates. It can not only be dishonest but it can also lead to anger and desperation (directed at the professors, etc.) if you do not perform as well as you had hoped.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Some schools check your GPA against their records and give the sororities a list with everyone's "real" GPA. I wouldn't try to circumvent that.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you even started any of the three summer classes? You may end up dropping one, you never know.

Yes, it is lying, and you shouldn't do it.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
Well, there's really not much of need to apologize about it being a stupid question, because, well--yeah, it is--meaning it's a pretty stupid question. If you have to ask is it lying, then it is.
LOL

I agree that people who ask these types of question already know the answer.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Listen to me, DO NOT DO THAT. When I was on panhellenic I can't tell you how many times we would clearly outline the GPA standards for recruitment and then have girls lie on their applications knowing we would check. Our fee was non-refundable! They knew this too. If your GPA is going to get better and that time is prior to the deadline, please just wait to register. Not saying you don't have the GPA to rush, I'm assuming at your school what you have is fine, but it's annoying when the staff in campus life is going through to verify and having to change things to reflect the truth.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much everyone for your responses. I figured it was lying, but I just wanted to check and make sure there weren't any special circumstances for summer semester. I will check with my school's greek life office to see if I can have my grades updated. Summer session grades are posted only about a week and a half before recruitment, so it may be impossible. Have a good day
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

UPDATE-
I contacted my school's greek life office, and she advised me to put my current GPA & then once summer session is over, I can contact the GL office to change it to the (hopefully) higher one. Thanks for everyone's help with the issue. I guess I shouldn't have even posted this question, and just contacted the office to begin with
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
you live and learn. good luck with recruitment.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janieladie View Post
I guess I shouldn't have even posted this question, and just contacted the office to begin with
LOL. That's usually the case. Can we make this part of her post a sticky?

Good luck to you!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. That's usually the case. Can we make this part of her post a sticky?

Good luck to you!!!
lol. i would use the PB smiley face if i could find it.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You can have your rec writers include this info (why gpa is low, summer school classes, etc) in your recs which will help the chapters understand the reason for your lower gpa. And then be sure to make that call to update your records before fall term starts.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Most sororities get your real GPA from the Greek Life Office and it will be harder for you to come back from lying AND having a lower GPA than it will be just having a lower GPA. Almost all chapters have a scholarship program to help with those things, it's something you should ask about if you're concerned.