GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,640
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, DelorasGer
» Online Users: 982
4 members and 978 guests
g41965, KatieKate1244, MethrenLusia

Old 02-05-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Alabama woman charged with killing her three children

CNN) -- Police in Huntsville, Alabama, have charged a woman with capital murder in the deaths of her three children, police spokesman Wendell Johnson told CNN Saturday.

Natashay Yvonne Ward, 33, is charged with killing Shanieka Y. Ward, 11; Latricia Ward, 9; and Christopher O. Ward, 8.

Police found the children's bodies on the floor of three separate bedrooms in their apartment in west Huntsville Friday afternoon, Johnson said. There were no beds in the rooms, he said.

Authorities are not saying when the children died, the causes of death or what evidence they had against Natashay Ward.

The children never returned to school after the winter break, Johnson said.

Some of their family members went to the apartment, Johnson said, but Ward would not let them in.

for full article....
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/05/ala...ngs/index.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2005, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

The less suitable you are to parent, the more fertile you are.

Also...the less literate you are, the more likely you are to give your kids idiotic names.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Oh, I disagree on that one!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Oh, I disagree on that one!
I'm talking about those people who will have a lot of kids without being able to take care of them. It really bothers me when I hear about some guy who has 10 kids somewhere...and he's in jail.

I'm not against large families at all--DaddyMunch is the oldest of 12, and MommyMunch is the second of 7. It's just that...if you have kids--take care of them or give them to someone who will, please!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:

Also...the less literate you are, the more likely you are to give your kids idiotic names.
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding

We have a winner!

That is so unbelievably true, and so sad. There will of course be exceptions, but those exceptions are rare.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Russ, you need to qualify what you said the way Munchkin did--thanks, Munchkin! I know many families with 3 or more children who are doing an absolutely fantastic job. If you're going to have a big family, as we do, you have to be willing to put in a ton of time--as we do.

I too get nauseated when I meet guys who've fathered a dozen kids with as many women all around town. Naturally they never show up to see any of them.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Russ, you need to qualify what you said the way Munchkin did--thanks, Munchkin!
You want it qualified? Sure. First there was the Malthusian view on population. Then, before any of us were born, it was realized that in industrialized societies, the reverse was true. The less educated people are, the more children that they have. This is not an absolute correlation. There will be exceptions like you, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that this is a loose correlation.

Malthus believed that "the family size of the lower class ought to be regulated such that poor families do not produce more children than they can support."

I don't believe that. I believe that people should be educated so that they can choose an appropriate family size, which is what you, as an educated person, did.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Back in the day--roughly, from the twenties back--most people had no idea how to effectively control births except to abstain. The less educated didn't even know that abstention worked. This still applies in Third World countries. I feel that at this point, Malthus' theories only apply to less educated cultures.

However, you can't tar all big families with the same brush. There's a huge difference between someone who carelessly runs around fathering or giving birth to a ton of kids who'll pretty much raise themselves- and someone who makes a careful decision before adding each child to their family, even if that family is large.

I know many other highly educated families who've chosen to have many children. Right now, I'm thinking of a doctor and a Methodist minister in town who have, as we do, very large mixed/biological families. We have chosen to cherish and educate and most of all, love, all our children. We're not like the white trash from down in the holler who procreate because they don't know any better.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said! If you have kids whether it is 1 or 15...handle your business! (Mom1228 is one of 7 and Dad1228 is one of 15)

But anyway, I hope that Alabama woman fries!

Quote:

Old 02-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I wish I could remember exactly what I was reading, but it is a work of fiction where one of the characters gave her child one of those Natashey/Shanieka/Latricia-type names and her friend said, "Why don't you just name her 'Foodstamp'?"
Old 02-05-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I wish I could remember exactly what I was reading, but it is a work of fiction where one of the characters gave her child one of those Natashey/Shanieka/Latricia-type names and her friend said, "Why don't you just name her 'Foodstamp'?"
Which of course would be pronounced "foe-odds-tahmp."
Old 02-05-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OMG.

DYING.

:::flatlines:::

Last edited by Munchkin03; 02-05-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
CTFU

Ok KillarneyRose, it is ON
Because of you, I spit diet pepsi all over my monitor! Mr. 1228 gave me a weird look for spitting on his monitor. I read this to him and he is on the floor

Quote:
Old 02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

what's idiotic about the kids' names?