GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,694
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, baittyjnra6125
» Online Users: 908
1 members and 907 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 09-18-2001, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Have you become more religious?

Since the tragic events of last week, I have noticed a sort of "revival" of religion in our society. There have been days of prayer, and God has been menioned more often that I have heard in years in general society. My question is this: what impact, if any, has this all had on your religious beliefs and/or practices? Were you religious at all before the attacks, and have you become more so or less so since? If you are not religious, has this made you want to become so, or investigate religion, or has it had no effect? Do you feel more or less tolerant of people with beliefs that differ from your own?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2001, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sort of a member of the school that "if you don't pray when it's sunny, don't pray when it's raining", but I have noticed an increase in prayer vigils, people going to mass/temple/what have you.

I wasn't really that religious beforehand, and I'm still really not. That doesn't mean that I don't have a system of morals and values centered around a Supreme Being, whom I thank every day for sparing my loved ones and friends.

As cynical as this sounds, I don't expect this to lead to a religious renaissance in this nation. I feel like this is going to be a temporary thing, at best--we all feel bad and violated right now, but once the smoke clears, we'll be back to our old ways.
Old 09-18-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Nothing has Changed

My faith is the same as it was before. The one thing I do pray for more, though, besides the healing for the families, is for God to soften my heart. I'm still stuck in the Anger section of the grieving cycle.

I can't blame people for renewed spirituality though, when your ordered world shatters and there will never be satisfactory answers, one should turn to whatever will comfort them.

You know what really chaps my hide? Falwell. I have no words for that man and his ilk. The preachers prophesying the Endtimes are freaking me out, too. Even if it IS the Endtimes, I'm not sure I want to know. Maybe that makes me a coward.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

With this tragedy and with each tragedy that our world faces, i.e. school shootings, Aaliyah's death, senseless killings, our mortality becomes a little more tangible for me.

Having been raised in the church and yes I do believe in God, I respect God's authority both in my life and over all lives whether or not people choose to believe in him.

Since last Tuesday's tragedy, I have not become more religious but I have become more focused on God's control and dominion.

To me religion is the belief in God and your SPIRITUALITY is the manifestation of a RELATIONSHIP with GOD. So have I become more spiritual and more focused on God and HIS will, yes I have.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I've never really been a very religious person, however I have always been very spiritual. I've never really gone to church much but I never thought that had much to do with how spiritual you are. But this whole tragedy has just made me realize how much stronger this has made everyone. I went to church the sunday after it happened and I cried so hard just hearing everything. I think I am going to try to go to church more often now. So yes I think this had made me more religious.

Nichole
Old 09-18-2001, 03:24 PM

I went to Jewish Sabbath services on Friday night and there was an incredible turnout... probably about as many people as I saw today for Rosh Hashanah. IMO, the sudden increase in attendance at religious services really has to do with coming together as a community. A lot of people are perfectly happy going off by themselves on a regular (or irregular) basis and praying, without necessarily going to an actual house of worship. But at a time like this, you really need the support of your friends and neighbors, along with the support of whatever divine power you put your faith in.

To answer valkyrie's question more directly ~ Personally, I wouldn't say I've become any more or less religious as a result of this tragedy, or any less tolerant of those whose faiths are different from my own. But I'm definitely glad that I belong to a religious community and the support network is there.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I can tell you this. After hearing Jerry Falwell's inconsiderate (to say the VERY least) comments, I am finding myself not wanting to be around anything at all religious. I know many many Christians do not agree with Jerry Falwell's comments but I went to church for some healing and instead of going to my friends church (she was out of town) I went to the church in my neighborhood. The preacher started AGREEING with what he said I WALKED OUT! I sobbed all day long and can honestly say that I feel WORSE now than before because I can't turn to God to help me heal.

I live in DC and am devastated and am more traumatized then before and I can't believe churches are perpetuating his comments so to answer your question, I am LESS religious than before this happened.

I know God is a loving God but after this Sunday, I am not sure anymore.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree

Zeta girly I am sorry that the minister was less than what you needed for fulfillment and upliftment of your spirit.

Please remember that ministers are HUMAN just like you. I would urge you not to turn away from God but to go to him and seek comfort for your pain. He can be what you need.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Crimson Tide, I think you may have sent me a private message? but when I tried to open it, it said my mailbox was empty. My e-mail address is zetagirly@yahoo.com if you are still trying to send it.

Sorry if I can't get it because I'm a moron with this new system but I tried!

Have a great day.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was raised Catholic but my family is not very religious. I guess I would consider my beliefs to be agnostic, but I still call myself Catholic.

In my opinion, no God could allow this to happen. So, although I find myself thinking about the victims and "praying" that they will find someone alive, I will not become more religious. I have tried in the past (in college) to go to church regularly, but I always found myself disbelieving everything that was preached.

But, to each his own. I won't say that I will never become religious, but at this moment in time, it just won't happen.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I have become more religious or less religious. I think I have become more aware of just how precious life is and more aware that anything can happen at any time to anyone. I have become more aware of the things I do, I mean after the lost of some many , knowing the things they will never get to do or see it makes me more aware of myslef , my friends and my family!
DGPhoney~
Old 09-20-2001, 12:40 PM

I suspect that it is too early to truly answer whether any of us become "more religious" during or after an event such as last week. Or more patriotic. Or whatever.

After any tragedy, there are hundreds of special services and rememberances. People gather to try to calm, comfort and console each other. They look for guidance and leadership and mutual support. There is an outpouring of generosity and help for the victims. People pray. We fly our flags.

I wonder if these are just good for soothing the immediate pain, or whether they really have a long lasting effect. I don't know the answer.

Are the causes and effects of these events additive over the long haul? Probably. I think so. But I don't know for sure.

My thoughts may sound a bit cynical, but they are not meant to be. Being somewhat older than most posters, I've lived through the Cold War and Cuban Missle Crisis as a youth, the Kennedy/King murders and Vietnam while in high school and college, Challenger, Columbine and the others as a broadcasting professional -- the ones that, "I remember exactly where I was when I heard about it."

They all engender a great amount of immediate passion -- which dissipates over time. Sometimes rapidly. Sometimes slowly.

Will this one be the exception because of its enormity and magnitude and the number of people it touches? Will the religious and partiotic fervor prevail?

The Fear?

Perhaps.

I don't know those answers either.

Maybe the real answer to this question can't be known until several months after the event. Will we still feel the need, the strength, the peace -- whatever -- or will we be back to "business as usual?"

Time will tell I suppose.

DeltAlum

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-20-2001 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2001, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with whoever said that this whole thing has made a huge revival of patriotism as well. I've always been proud to death of my country, but now I feel tears well up every time I see the American flag at half-mast. (I'm too emotional for my own good and I think I'm gonna be one of those bawling girls at my pref night...years from now ) But yeah, when you grow up without an organized religion, you have to find subsititutes. I believe in my family and my friends and God, whoever or whatever he is, and I believe in myself and in this country. And SO to address the question, yes, all those beliefs have been a lot stronger this past week.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

how does everyone feel five years later?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I'm still angry about September 11. Who do Bin Laden and company think they are?

Five years later, I am still angry that some people said nothing about the heroes or victims...but if someone paid an Arab or Muslim a bad look, all hell broke loose.

Theta Phi Alpha