GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 893
1 members and 892 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Alpha Initiative

http://www.blackcollegewire.org/news/060830_alpha/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome back, bruh, (good to see you around)

Thanks for the informative article. I've heard some other discussion on this and look forward to seeing us push forward on this endeavor.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
Nice article. To the point on blackmales majoring in education. There are plenty of black male educators. The problem is they teach for so long then they go on to be Vice Principals and Principals. They see the dollars and power of being in the administration and leave the classroom behind. We need more black men to stay in the classroom and be the "hands on" mentor and role model.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06pilot
Nice article. To the point on blackmales majoring in education. There are plenty of black male educators. The problem is they teach for so long then they go on to be Vice Principals and Principals. They see the dollars and power of being in the administration and leave the classroom behind. We need more black men to stay in the classroom and be the "hands on" mentor and role model.

Principals count as educators.

Also, what you describe is not the case in my school district.

A third point, in my school district, many black teachers are leaving the profession because they no longer have the proper credentials. I actually lost one of my employees because he didn't have the proper coursework under NCLB regulations. And a friend of mine also chose to let his provisional license lapse because he just didn't want to teach anymore.

By Alpha Phi Alpha encouraging black men to major in education (and under NCLB, even a minor counts), we are promoting "highly qualified" potential teachers.

Alpha could also start a "Teach For America" type of program as an alternative teacher education program for black men.

At the Public Program during convention, it was great to hear Edward Brooke talk about this.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06pilot
They do not need to stay in the classroom to do that. You can still be hands on as an administrator. It's up to the individual to choose to do so.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

It was a difficult decison for me - teach making low wages or move on to something else. I hope to again teach at some point.

In NC there are a small percentage of men in the classroom. However, in administration, there is a least one minority assistant if there is a majority in leadership.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

WELL IN LOUISIANA, THE FACT IS THAT THERE IS NO MONEY IN TEACHING ON BOTH THE ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY LEVEL. MOST MALES, LIKE MYSELF, WANT TO TEACH BUT ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL WHERE THERE IS ENOUGH MONEY
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTUER_OF_BSIG View Post
WELL IN LOUISIANA, THE FACT IS THAT THERE IS NO MONEY IN TEACHING ON BOTH THE ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY LEVEL. MOST MALES, LIKE MYSELF, WANT TO TEACH BUT ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL WHERE THERE IS ENOUGH MONEY
Does your name say future (insert chapter name?) Are you at SUBR?

At the onset, you aren't going to make too much on the university level, either, even with a doctorate. I was surprised when a former professor in grad school told me that.