GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 720
1 members and 719 guests
flamboyanttree

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wildcat10
One VERY Long Recruitment Story :)

Hey everyone! I just want to give y'all a little background info, since I'm pretty new here. I've been "lurking" for a month or so, but only signed up a few days ago. I really love the Panhellenic atmosphere on this site, and my favorite thing to read so far has been the Recruitment stories, so I thought I'd share mine. It's pretty long, complicated, and strung out, so bear with me here! I've already written it all up in Word, so I plan to be posting at least once a day, maybe more, depending on how bored I get during class and if you all want me to post more, haha.

I grew up in a small town where most of girls pledged a certain sorority we'll call RED. (I'm using colors to differentiate the sororities, by the way... I'm not terribly creative, and I figured it would be easiest to keep up with... but don't read too much into my color choices, because I'm picking them at complete random!). My mom pledged RED when she was in college, but left the sorority while on bad standing. I don't know a lot of details about what happened, except that it left a bad taste in her mouth for Greek Life. My aunt (who actually raised me) is a ORANGE alum, & that particular sorority happens to include nieces as legacies. Remember this-- it's important later!

I started college at a tiny little school about an hour away from home. It's considered pretty prestigious around here, but also has a reputation for being a party school. When I did my overnight visit in the spring of my Senior Year of high school, I completely clicked with the girl I stayed with. She happened to be the president of LIME, a sorority whose girls I quickly fell in love with. I knew a few of them from home already. Two other girls from my hometown were members of PURPLE. My aunt's sorority was also as this school, as was another group who we will call SLATE.

Several weeks before school started, I began to converse with other new students on Facebook. A question about Rush came up, and I mentioned that I really loved everyone I had met in LIME. Facebook at this point was still fairly new, so I didn't really take etiquette into consideration. Rush is deferred at this school just a few weeks, and until then, none of the actives are allowed to have any sort of contact with PNM's. However, word got around to me that the two actives from my town (keep in mind, it's VERY small) from PURPLE had seen the Facebook post and were really angry with me and had already said there was not a chance I would join their sorority. Um, yikes!

So, rush hadn't even begun and I already had sorority drama...