GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 605
2 members and 603 guests
flamboyanttree, naraht

Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing @ FSU this Fall & outfitsss

i'm SO excited to rush this fall @ Florida State. I have looked at their website regarding "what to wear" but it seems outdated. So, tell me what you think of what I have planned to wear on the first day. They recommend shorts and tennis shoes.. so i don't know if i will be overdressed or underdressed? i don't know if girls go in sundresses and don't pay attention to the website??! This is what the site said for the first day:

DO’S:
• Short sleeve shirts
• Casual shorts (khaki/denim)
• Sandals/Tennis shoes (make sure they are comfy!)

DONT’S:
• Fancy dress/formal
• Suits
• Crop tops/Shorts that are “too short”
• Panty Hose
• Dress shoes/Heels
• Skirts

This is what i'm planning on wearing:
white capris
white J Crew sandals
blue V-neck shortsleeved shirt
pearl necklace and pearl earings

what do you think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I was under the impression that FSU is a typical very "southern" rush style. I rushed here in WVU, which is still southern but not as competitive as say Ole Miss, and I wore skirts for 3 days, black pants for one, and a black cocktail dress for pref night. I'd talk to girls in your rush group or ask your Rho Chi for the most current advice on what to wear, then go from there. It's always better to be over dressed than under!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say don't stress yourself out about it THIS early It is still April, rush isn't for another four months or so. In that time, I guarantee you'll change your mind about what you'll want to wear. You'll invariably come across some other cute outfit between now and them.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Being that they say "Casual Shorts" I don't think you should go for a sundress.

I think cute white capris is the perfect medium
Old 04-27-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

From my FSU daughter:

"I would never wear white pants during rush though because EVERY year they say it rains...just like this year. Also, you're sitting down so much that they will get dirty but other than that it's fine. A lot of girls wore nice capris or skirts this year."

I know she didn't wear tennis shoes and I think she wore flip flops but nice ones. You will be doing a lot of walking and the area is hilly so be sure you have comfortable shoes.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Although the pics are outdated, the suggestions for attire are dead-on. You will see better/updated pics in the Tomahawk magazine that you will recieve this summer. Use that as a planning guide.

Remember these things:
You do not need a whole new wardrobe. Recruitment is about you, not the labels on your clothing.

When in doubt, err on the side of modesty. Recruitment isn't a night out with the girls - it is more like a job interview.

Comfortable shoes and a small collapsible umbrella are a must.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I think Seminole Mom said her daughter was told she couldn't carry an umbrella. However, I do think my daughter did. Maybe different Rho Chis do different things. I think it is ridiculous to not carry an umbrella when you are trying to look nice and not like a drowned rat.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also relax and not worry too much. But I would also think twice about white pants if there is ANY chance of rain. Wasn't their rush delayed last year due to the hurricane? or was that another school? I personally also have an aversion to white flip-flops because they can get very mucky looking if the ground is too dirty. Then you have dark foot prints...but that is my issue with feet in general.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

recruitment happened as scheduled at florida state. recruitment was delayed due to a hurricane at university of central florida.

laugh a lot-you will be attending an orientation on campus this summer-they most likely will have speakers from lots of organizations, including panhellenic. you could formulate your wardrobe now, and run it by someone from panhellenic at that time. fsu's panhellenic is trying to steer pnms to a more casually attired recruitment, but i hear that not many pnms comply with the "suggested outfits" on the panhellenic website. they go a little dressier-in other words, if the site says casual shorts, the majority would be wearing capris or skirts. if you don't run into someone this summer to ask, you certainly could ask your recruitment counselor at the recruitment orientation. lisa
Old 04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much for all your replies! i definitely won't wear white if there's any chance of rain. my white sandals are khaki on the bottom and a white strap on the top.. so they won't get as dirty as if it was just regular white. here's the pic:

WhiTe J.Crew SandaLs!
(click on the white strap color)

also.. i know it's a bit early to be thinking about all this since i still have 4 months.. but i'm just so excited. i can't help it! =)
Old 04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

love the sandals!! they should look really cute with capris. and i think it is neat that you are so psyched for recruitment. it feeds our need!! lisa
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 PM

Just from what I've read on here, I would definitely skip denim in any form. Also, sandals are much more attractive for your legs than tennis shoes (especially the platform type tennis shoes).
Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in Panhellenic but I do go to FSU! DEFINITELY bring bottled water if allowed. The weather is ridiculous in August, can be 100 degrees.