GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,206
0 members and 1,206 guests
No Members online

Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question SHSU Delta Sigma Phi Research

Hi. I’m doing some research into the history of Sam Houston State University (Huntsville, Texas) and am trying to identify some of the chapters that were once on campus but have since closed. One such group was Delta Sigma Phi and I am curious if there is anyone here that might be able to pass along the following information:

1. Date chartered.
2. Date disbanded.
3. Chapter name.
4. Location/address of house(s)

I don’t know what sort of audience I’ll get on these boards but I thought I’d at least ask.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

AB
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter at Sam Houston State is our Zeta Eta Chapter. They chartered in 1977 and closed around 1990. One of their houses (not sure if they had more than one) was also a TKE house at one time. Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it does help, Tex1899. At this point I have a list of names and very little else -- so every bit helps.

Thank you very much.

Cheers.

A
Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

SHSU Chapter

THe SHSU chapter was formally initiated with the Zeta Zeta chapter and Cali State- Fullerton, at SMU
(Lambda) in 1977. Zeta Zeta at Texas Tech is the only one still active.
Hope this helps you out.

Brothers still true to SHSU let's get them started back up!
YITBOS
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to knucklehead11 Send a message via Yahoo to knucklehead11
I know this is two years old but I figured I'd post.

We're trying to get Delta Sigma Phi back up at SHSU. Right now we're recognized by the university as Delta Sigma but we don't have an official chater from Delta Sigma Phi due to the number of members. I believe it was started back up in Spring of 2005 and we've grown to about, eh, 15 members so far.

http://www.shsu.edu/~org_ds
Old 06-01-2006, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to knucklehead11 Send a message via Yahoo to knucklehead11
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex1899
Our chapter at Sam Houston State is our Zeta Eta Chapter. They chartered in 1977 and closed around 1990. One of their houses (not sure if they had more than one) was also a TKE house at one time. Hope this helps!
I just found a bit of info on TKE's SHSU website that Delta Sigma Phi once resided at 1221 14th Street, Huntsville, TX.

From the website: "The most memorable occasion for the semester was the rental of the first true Teke house in Huntsville. The house, located at 1221 14th Street, was the former residence of Delta Sigma Phi and Pi Kappa Alpha. The rental of the house was a significant step because all of the other fraternities had houses. Our house was comparable to all of the other fraternity houses."

http://www.shsu.edu/~org_tke/dhist.html 13th paragraph down

EDIT: If you browse the site and look at their pictures you'll see that the original Delta Sigma Phi - Zeta Eta house was demolished in 2003 after TKE no longer used it.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

SHSU

I think that may the be the house my brother lived in for a while...he's a TKE from SHSU. I think his uncle or grandfather (from his dad's side of the family) actually owned the property. Small world.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: SHSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex1899
I think that may the be the house my brother lived in for a while...he's a TKE from SHSU. I think his uncle or grandfather (from his dad's side of the family) actually owned the property. Small world.
Wowza. That's just a few blocks down Sam Houston Avenue from where I lived last year. I lived in a new freshman dorm building that was built across the street from Jackson-Shaver Hall.

I was suggesting to a fellow brother possibly obtaining the old house that used to house Delta Sigma Phi members, until I saw the demolition pics on TKE's website.

My former roommate is a member now of Kappa Sigma (now new to SHSU I believe, or recent at least) and there's a house down Avenue O near Jiffy Lube that he said the Kappa Sigs might obtain for their house. It's a big white house with pillars in the front. Real nice.

I wish we could find a decent house around there. I'm not too worried though. I'll be at SHSU for one more year, and then I plan on transferring to University of North Texas, where there's a HUGE chapter (Gamma Xi) with a house.