GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 2,230
0 members and 2,230 guests
No Members online

Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

2 Sororities Pairing for COR/COB Event???

Hi All,
I remember reading in a thread where 2 sororities had to COR/COB and they decided to do it together. They made shirts, split the PR, etc. I want to say it was a DZ and ZTA chapter, thus DZTA on their shirts, but I'm not certain and I can't find the thread. I have given this idea to a young woman and want to reference that thread. Does anyone know where it is??? Or know about this event???
Thanks
Trish
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

That happened at Jacksonville State at Alabama. I think they've done it more than once--aopinthesky, do you know?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bumping it because I'm really curious. How would this work? We did some COBing while I was in college, and I can't imagine us teaming up with the 'competing' sororities.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Here is the original thread. It has some details.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=47134
Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! It seems like it worked well for them. The panhellenic spirit involved in that is amazing!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow that thread was great!! Does anyone know if they continued to do this in past years and has DZ gotten to total?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

oh. I thought this was a thread about a CORNCOB event.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Joint COB

Hi,
I just now saw this thread - somehow I missed it when it was first posted.
My daughter goes to Jacksonville and I just wanted to tell you what my take on that COB was. I think they did it twice, don't know if they have done it this year. My daughter is not a member of either DZ or ZTA. ZTA was fairly strong at the time and DZ is the smallest group on campus. I think it worked ok for ZTA but DZ did no better (and maybe worse) than they would have done on their own. Everyone who went to the party wanted ZTA. The concept also alienated the other 3 sororities on campus because everyone is consistently below total (they have very low formal rush quotas) and everyone is always COB-ing. The other three groups felt that it could have been a Panhellenic effort. The idea is good in theory and could have been handled in a way that everyone would have felt good about. I don't think it is a good idea to exclude groups who are also COB-ing because it does nothing to promote the "panhellenic spirit" that they said they were promoting.
Just my take on things so please don't flame me
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopinthesky View Post
Hi,
I just now saw this thread - somehow I missed it when it was first posted.
My daughter goes to Jacksonville and I just wanted to tell you what my take on that COB was. I think they did it twice, don't know if they have done it this year. My daughter is not a member of either DZ or ZTA. ZTA was fairly strong at the time and DZ is the smallest group on campus. I think it worked ok for ZTA but DZ did no better (and maybe worse) than they would have done on their own. Everyone who went to the party wanted ZTA. The concept also alienated the other 3 sororities on campus because everyone is consistently below total (they have very low formal rush quotas) and everyone is always COB-ing. The other three groups felt that it could have been a Panhellenic effort. The idea is good in theory and could have been handled in a way that everyone would have felt good about. I don't think it is a good idea to exclude groups who are also COB-ing because it does nothing to promote the "panhellenic spirit" that they said they were promoting.
Just my take on things so please don't flame me
No, that makes sense. Its a much different perspective than perhaps DZ and ZTA being the smaller chapters or the only ones that need to COB. And if it didn't really work for them, it didn't work. My campus only had 5 chapters and none of us would have recruited together in any fashion. A larger campus that had a couple smaller chapters might have worked better.

It's a shame that DZ may have lost out in the whole deal.