GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,485
2 members and 2,483 guests
Cookiez17, MethrenLusia

Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Diversity...Training

Hello Ladies and fellow Greeks!

I'm coming to you asking for some ideas from any teachers out there. I am currently working at a youth program in suburban Chicago. I honestly didn't like kids so much but now I love them! The program is intented to serve low income children and teach them skills to perform well in school.

Sounds good, but one of the MAIN difficulties I've had is getting all the kids to actually...interact with one another. The majority of the kids are either Black or Latino (and a good number of the Black students are Jamaican), but they don't seem to care to get to know, let alone learn from one another.

I am intending to start some exercises to help them help each other (e.g. the kids teach other Spanish and English). I know alot of the removal comes from their upbringing (I've met their parents, not the friendliest people on earth), but I know there's a shot since some kids hang out with whoever, while others clearly separate based on the color line.

If any of you have tips on how to do this effectively, please feel free to share, I think what would also help me is if I heard stories of you ladies' upbrining/interaction in elementary/high school/college/grad school with other races and ethnicities.

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you changed your mind about the kids I'm going to pass this on to my teacher friends and sorors and have them post or I'll post their responses.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Here are suggestions I used when I taught jr. high in Los Angeles:

1. Organize an "Afro-Aztec" Festival which features African and Latino(Indigenous Aztec) dancers, cultural foods and interactive games.

2. Create a model UN board where each child must research information on Latin American and African countries. When I did this, we used a board in my classroom and each student had to fill in the blanks with the material they gathered from their research. They had to make flags for the particular countries, clip pictures showing cultural dress and images of the country's landscape. They also wrote a brief paragraph about the system of government, nat'l language, population and major religions.

3. Depending on their ages, I selected students to be trained as race relation ambassadors. They received training from the United Way and then met with an inter-racial group of students at lunch to talk about their culture and eventually they began to discuss their feelings about one another. I only allowed students who showed genuine interest and the maturity to handle the topics to participate.

I hope this gives you a start.

Good luck,
PhDiva