GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,463
1 members and 2,462 guests
g41965

Old 07-03-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Yet another recommendation concern...

Hi everyone! I am new to GC, but I am hoping that I might find some assistance by posting this thread. I’ve read most of the other threads regarding recommendation procedures and searched the national web sites for each of the chapters at my school, but still have a few concerns. I will be going through recruitment this fall at a west coast school. I’ve found that most posts here on GC specifically address the weight of recommendations at SEC schools, but my school as been mentioned as an example of a west coast school at which recommendations are also important.

Here’s my problem: I’ve heeded the advice of exhausting all possible means of obtaining recs from alumnae with whom I am personally acquainted. It seems as though I am just one of the unlucky few who have no such connections. Thus, I am left with the options of requesting “information only” recs from alumnae I don’t personally know or obtaining recs from collegian members. (Many of my best friends are members and would be more than happy to write recs.) From reading the other posts about recs, it appears that a rec from someone who knows you personally carries the most weight. Does this still hold true in the personal collegian rec versus the impersonal alumna rec?

Lastly, I’ve searched the national web sites for each of the chapters at my school in order to find out if collegians are even eligible to write recs. Below are the lists of what I found. I would sincerely appreciate it if anyone could correct me if I’m wrong or provide any additional insight into the rec policies for these GLOs.

Accept collegian recs: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta,

Do not accept collegian recs: Delta Delta Delta, Pi Beta Phi

Unsure: Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Delta Tau

Thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Your collegian friends can probably connect you with alumnae of their sororities. The best recs come from those who know you best. If a sorority has a policy where they will only accept recs from alumnae, you have your answer: they need to be from alum. Talk to your Greek friends, and resend a note around to your list of personal contacts to see if any of them know a sorority alumna in the organizations you need recs for.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 PM

I agree that your collegian friends should try to put you in contact with alumnae. They should know recent graduates or be able to put you in contact with advisors or the local alumnae chapter. Are your friends from the same school where you'll be going through recruitment? Obviously that would help too.