GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 2,409
0 members and 2,409 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2002, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rush for Dummies

I have a few questions about rush, I have read up on it on websites such as the greekspot and greek 101 , but I still am having a hard time understanding. First what does it mean when people say " i suicided after pref nite and wasn't offered a bid " ? Also, for the school that I'm rushing at they want 13 packets with variety of information in each why is that necessary if I can only put 3 sororities on my bid sheet ? Any information on a formal rush that you gals have would be most helpful.
-thanks, Lea
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2002, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Greekchat, Lea!!!

Each chapter (and panhellenic as well) will recieve one of the thirteen info packets. The packet will serve as an introduction of sorts so that the girls may get to know more about you.

"Suiciding", also known as single intention preference, happens when a woman only lists one sorority on her pref. card. By doing so, she acknowledges that she will only accept a bid from that organization, and that she will be ineligible to accept a bid from any organization other than the one she lists as a SIP for the duration of one calendar year. It's a pretty serious thing to do. If the one sorority you list does not extend a bid to you, you will not be placed. You will not be eligible for what is commonly called a "snap" bid. Snap bids may issued to unplaced women any time after the normal recruitment period has expired at the discretion of the chapter and according to campus panhellenic policy. They are NOT guaranteed nor necessarily to be expected. Many times, the women who choose to Single Intention Preference are not informed of all of the ramifications that choice comes with. While it is "standard" that by signing your name to a pref card you acknowledge that you will accept a bid from any sorority on that card, remember that you may ALWAYS decline a bid.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by AggieDZ; 02-03-2002 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

rush info

Hi!

Though formal recruitment can vary from school to school, there is a general format. Usually a potential new member (abbreviated "PNM") such as yourself will sign up with the overseeing group called the Panhellenic Committee. Potential new members will be placed in groups led by ladies who are already in a sorority. These helpers or guides are called a "Rho Chi" or "Rush Counselor."

You and the other PNMs will get to visit each sorority one at a time. That means you will visit them ALL. That is why they are asking you to submit 13 packets of information. One for each sorority on your campus.

Each day of recruitment, you will decide if you like a certain sorority or not. The sorority will be deciding if they like you or not. At the end of each day, you will list the sororities that you liked and did not like. The sororities will do the same. You do not have to go back to the sororities you "cut"...and some sororities will cut you. Therefore, each day, the list of places you are visiting will get shorter.

On the final day, called Preference, PNMs usually are allowed to visit a maximum of 3 sororities. You would attend the three Preference parties and decide which sorority you like best and feel most comfortable with. At the end of Preference day, you list the sororities you liked in order. The sororities list the names of the girls they liked best and felt most comfortable inviting to be a member.

Then, your list and their list(s) are compared to see who should be invited where. This is called "bid matching." It can get complicated, but the summary is: if you list a sorority that lists you, you would then be extended an invitation to join that sorority. Of course, this isn't guaranteed since sometimes you picked a sorority for #1 that didn't put you near the top of their list and vice versa. Usually though, it works out ok.

Now, sometimes a potential new member gets alllllll the way to the Preference round and decides that she doesn't like 2 of the 3 sororities. She feels that she just *couldn't possibly* be a member of ABC and XYZ. She *only* wants to be a member of sorority DEF. So, she decides to put only one of the three sororities down on the bid card. This is called "suiciding" because she is greatly reducing her chances of getting an invitation to a sorority.

I hope this helps! I tried to explain it with out getting too heavy on the lingo.

......Kelly
Old 02-03-2002, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
First off, i think all the GC'ers should write a book called "recruitment for Dummies", it would be a big seller!

The things you mentioned such as "SIP" or "suiciding" are pretty much covered by national panhellenic rules. Other things like qouta, ceiling, snab biding or "cob", and how many invites you can go to, ect. are usually based on the university you attend and the size of the greek community. At some universities the greek life is so large that no chapters COB because everyone is at or above the limited amount of members allowable by the univiersity, while in other cases, some campus's may allow COBing all year long because they don't meet the total number of members. Also, the number of organizations effect the number of parties you can attend during each round.

your university should have a web page about greek life and the recruitment process or your assigned Rho Chi should be able to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I'm not going to UT Austin because I want to get out of Austin. Also I want to participate in a pre-med program (not offered at UT Austin). -lea
Old 02-06-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that one item that goes into ones 'packet' that is sent to each sorority is a picture. My question is why type of picture ????? Should it be wallet size ? Black & White, okay ? Head shot, full body , casual , professional ??? I am about to have my pictures done and I figure that i'm already going to be spending tons of money, I may as well go ahead and take one that I can put in my 'packet' in about 4 months. -Lea
Old 02-06-2002, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing that you will be an entering freshman. In that case your senior picture from H.S. should be sufficient. Even if you're not a freshman if you don't look too different I would suggest using that.

I wish you the best of luck with rush. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have either on here or to the Greek Advisor of the school you will attend. I only wish I had known half the things about going through rush that I know now. It wouldn't have changed my mind about going greek it just would have made rush easier
Old 02-06-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Pictures should be 'around' wallet sized and represent your natural personality. IE: NO glamour shots, or "modeling" shots etc.... the picture should be of just you, no boys or pets. (you'd be surprised what some people turn in) If you have FABULOUS black & whites use them, but I would suggest color, due to the fact that this is how you will be recognized and remembered by the girls in the chapter. It would help to be able to see your hair color etc. (ie: to help distinguish brown from black tresses & avoid confusion)