GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,273
0 members and 2,273 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lawsuit filed over girl's fall from Idaho fraternity house-SAE

MOSCOW, Idaho -- A former University of Idaho student and her parents are seeking a jury trial in Latah County Second District Court to determine if the university, Idaho State Board of Education and several Greek organizations should be held responsible for the student's September 2009 fall from a third-story fraternity house window.
The former student, Amanda Andaverde, and her parents, Esmeralda Banda and Raul Andaverde, filed the lawsuit Wednesday and are seeking monetary compensation for medical, travel and other expenses related to Amanda Andaverde's injuries.
http://www.standard.net/stories/2011...aternity-house
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

I read the article and I am not clear on what the defendants are being sued for. Are they being sued for the underage alcohol consumption AND the unsecure "window bed?"
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

From the article

Quote:
The lawsuit states the defendants didn't do enough to ensure safe conditions at the fraternity and didn't do enough to prevent underage people, including Andaverde, from consuming alcohol.
This reminds me of that TCU branding incident. "I don't think I should be held accountable for my actions"

I'm looking forward to seeing what the investigation shows.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I read the article and I am not clear on what the defendants are being sued for. Are they being sued for the underage alcohol consumption AND the unsecure "window bed?"
That's what it sounded like to me. I didn't know that the latter was even something that someone could be sued for.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I read the article and I am not clear on what the defendants are being sued for. Are they being sued for the underage alcohol consumption AND the unsecured "window bed?"
"The lawsuit states the defendants didn't do enough to ensure safe conditions at the fraternity and didn't do enough to prevent underage people, including Andaverde, from consuming alcohol."

Among other terms that have been used-the "Shot-gun" approach works well here. Just shoot and spray and see what happens. ;>(
Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Just took some time to look around the web for more information-This is the second time that month a student fall out of a window!
http://www.krem.com/news/129487228.html

The fraternity, Andaverde's sorority and the state Board of Education are also named in her complaint, the Lewiston Tribune reported on Thursday. The university was not immediately available for questions but does not typically comment on pending litigation, the newspaper reported.
Andaverde was the second student to fall from a fraternity house window at the university shortly after fall classes started in August 2009, prompting the school to begin a review of safety measures at Greek housing on campus.
On Aug. 29, 2009, then 20-year-old Shane Meyer fell from a third-story window at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and was hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with serious injuries. About two weeks later, then 19-year-old Andaverde suffered several fractures in a fall at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.
Andaverde has debilitating injuries from the fall that include a traumatic brain injury and she is still in the process of relearning how to "walk, speak and function as normally as she can," according to her lawsuit.
She and her family claim the fraternity is at fault because of the lack of window hardware and that as a pledge at the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Andaverde should have been protected by older members and prevented from drinking at a fraternity party the night she was injured.
The lawsuit also claims the university and the state Board of Education are responsible because they regulate the Greek system and should have known "one or more dangerous conditions existed" at the third-floor sleeping porch where Andaverde fell through the window from a bunk bed.
At the time, the university reported at least three other students besides Andaverde and Meyer had fallen from Greek houses in the previous four or five years.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That's ridiculous.