GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,427
2 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Colonizing a Sorority

Hey,
I just transfered to a new school that doesn't have my sorority and am thinking of trying to colonize it. Can anyone help me out with some info and advice? Thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

1st - does your campus need to expand? Are virtually all of the chapters well above chapter total?
2nd - Does your sorority have any interest in expanding to this campus? It may seem like any sorority would expand to any campus they could, but that is not true. There's a lot to it, and a lot of it is well beyond campus need. It might be too expensive a proposition, you might not have sufficient alumnae support in the region, the campus may be at a temporary high and on it's way down in student population.

I'd start by looking at the NPC list for this and the last couple years. When is the last time a chapter closed? Is the ratio of quota to total lopsided?

Then I'd ask Panhel if they expect any expansion any time soon. If it's a firm no, you're outta luck. Expansion starts with them. If they do say anything even vaguely enthusiastic toward growth, then I'd go to your sorority and see if they have any interest. And if they do, then it's in their hands. You have virtually zero say in the process, except that you might be able to point out an opportunity to your national. You could always start an interest group, but you have to understand that a colonizing chapter MIGHT take on an interest group, but that chapter might not be one of YOUR sorority, which would mean you will have done a whole bunch of work for nothing, since you are not eligible to pledge any other NPC sorority.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorLife View Post
Hey,
I just transfered to a new school that doesn't have my sorority and am thinking of trying to colonize it. Can anyone help me out with some info and advice? Thanks so much!
PLEASE READ THIS.