GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,286
2 members and 1,284 guests
Mooch279

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy I'm Black and Don't Want To Be Segregated!!

Sorry for the blunt title, I just want to get you guys attention!
So anyway, I am COMPLETELY new to Greek Life. I'm not a legacy and I only have one person in my family that went to a college that had a Greek Life. Therefore, please don't judge me if my questions seem like they have a "common sense" answer or if they seem ignorant.

1)Now, I understand the difference between PC and NPHC. My question is do I HAVE to join a NPHC sorority because I'm black or can I join a PC sorority?(When I saw join, I mean rush). I've never lived in a black dominate area, so being in NPHC will be a CULTURE SHOCK for me lol. I lived in a city my whole life so I'm used to diversity. I don't want to be in a sorority that is for one race. IDK if they're all black, white, orange or green because I'd rather be in a rainbow
2) When I look at housing for sororities I only get #'s for PC. Is that because NPHC doesn't have housing or is it the same for both.

I really want to rush! But I'm lost (clearly). I became a family with my high school friends and I want that experience with college.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

You can participate in whichever recruitment/intake that you want to. Without revealing where you are/will be attending college, can you say what region of the country your school is located in? We would then be able to give you a bit more specific information and guidance. I am a member of a NPC sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

1) You can be black, white, purple or polka-dotted. PC and NPHC take all. That's up to you which route you go.

2) Depends on the school. It could be that the NPHC groups at your school don't have houses/dorms, etc. Or if they do, check with Residence Life.

Big hint-- use the Search function and read posts.

That will answer a lot of your questions.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm from NYC and I'm planning on going to a school in Florida.

---I was reading other threads and they talked about how there is a difference between southern, western, eastern, and northern rushing. Does Florida fall into southern rushing?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Florida is very definitely the South.

As others have said, you can join either set of organizations. There are black people in NPC organizations AND there are non-black people in NPHC organizations!

However, I really encourage you to read up on ALL organizations, and get to know some members if you can, before you decide to approach or avoid one set because of the race of many of the members. There is much more to all of these groups than race.

I, also, grew up going to predominantly white schools and with predominantly white friends. I joined an NPHC organization after college, even after being STRONGLY encouraged by a good friend during college to consider joining her NPC group. I looked closely at her group, and I liked a lot of the girls in it, but it wasn't the organization for me, and the race of most its members wasn't the deciding factor (...remember that most of my friends were white).

I was a legacy to the organization I joined, but that wasn't the deciding factor, either.

I chose it because that's where I was supposed to be.

(...ignoring for the moment that the recommendation of an enthusiastic friend does not guarantee a bid, etc etc etc)

Last edited by GammaGirl1908; 01-05-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: ... fixing my typos ...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Florida is considered an SEC state so most schools will be on the "must have recs" list if you elect to go the NPC route. There are threads on here about most large schools in Florida so do a search here for your school and you'll probably find a lot of information. The processes for joining an NPC group or an NPHC group are vastly different so read up on that as well.