GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,231
0 members and 1,231 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Who Decides the Bids

I was invited to participate in a chapter's spring recruitment. I did not receive a bid. I know several girls in the chapter, including the VP. I was wondering who has the most say when deciding who gets a bid? The whole process made me question my friendships with these girls especially since I am friends with the Vice President. I feel like she would have a pull in who gets a bid and who doesn't.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Membership selection is private and only initiated members know the policy of each organisation. There are several factors that can play a role, I wouldn't hold it against them personally.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about a COB scenario. There are typically a limited number of spots during informal recruitment.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Do not assume that your friend, the VP, has any more say than anyone else. Sororities are usually very democratic so the leadership doesn't get to dictate to the rest of the chapter.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Membership selection is private, and no one will tell you-- even if they know.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I just pledged during informal rush, and wondered the same thing. there were a ton of girls going through for very few spots in the houses that were participating. What I've heard (and I don't think I'm spilling any secrets) is that even though informal or COB rush is more laid back, there are always more girls wanting membership than spots available. And it takes several existing members to really speak up for you....whether or not they are in leadership positions may not matter if not enough people know you. Do you know if Recs were taken when you rushed or if you had one? That might have been a factor too.... Even though I rushed informally, I made sure I had a rec!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley1 View Post
I just pledged during informal rush, and wondered the same thing. there were a ton of girls going through for very few spots in the houses that were participating. What I've heard (and I don't think I'm spilling any secrets) is that even though informal or COB rush is more laid back, there are always more girls wanting membership than spots available. And it takes several existing members to really speak up for you....whether or not they are in leadership positions may not matter if not enough people know you. Do you know if Recs were taken when you rushed or if you had one? That might have been a factor too.... Even though I rushed informally, I made sure I had a rec!
I think you should get through your new member period, get initiated and go through recruitment on the other side before you start putting things you heard out there on the internet.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I remember before I was initiated thinking that officer positions were a *really* big deal...but then after being initiated and after filling several officer positions, the "glam" behind it makes me giggle a little. Time and time again, I see PNMs here on GC saying things like, "THE PRESIDENT even came to meet me OMG OMG! during round 2!" -- and it honestly isn't really a big deal. They are just like any other sister...out to meet as many women as possible to help the chapter make the best decisions regarding membership invitations.

Sorry, that was a bit of a side. Regarding this specific case: I'd absolutely not hold it against your friends or question their friendship. One person, or even a few people, can't force a bid. I'm sure your VP friend feels really awful right now knowing there wasn't much she could do to help - it's probably really awkward for her too.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Do not assume that your friend, the VP, has any more say than anyone else. Sororities are usually very democratic so the leadership doesn't get to dictate to the rest of the chapter.

This.

Membership section is private to each group, but there are some general things that we can tell you.

It's usually a group decision. One person can't usually guarantee you a bid, even if she is an officer. Even being friends with a small faction of the chapter isn't a guarantee.

Lots of factors usually go into the decision - grades, extracurriculars, risk management considerations... Your friends may have pulled for you, but the chapter as a whole looks at all the factors, not just who you are friends with.

Even if you were a great candidate, many chapters have more women applying for a COB spot than they have spots. The chapter as a whole may have liked you, but not had enough spots for everyone they liked. Your friends may have pulled really hard for you, but someone else may have had a group of their friends pulling really hard for her, too.

We don't know. Your friends can't tell you. Membership selection is private.

Sorry. It's tough.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Not only that....if that sorority's setup is like mine...everyone on exec board (which can be up to 10 people) is a "vice president." It's not the same as being Joe Biden.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
This.

Membership section is private to each group, but there are some general things that we can tell you.

It's usually a group decision. One person can't usually guarantee you a bid, even if she is an officer. Even being friends with a small faction of the chapter isn't a guarantee.

Lots of factors usually go into the decision - grades, extracurriculars, risk management considerations... Your friends may have pulled for you, but the chapter as a whole looks at all the factors, not just who you are friends with.

Even if you were a great candidate, many chapters have more women applying for a COB spot than they have spots. The chapter as a whole may have liked you, but not had enough spots for everyone they liked. Your friends may have pulled really hard for you, but someone else may have had a group of their friends pulling really hard for her, too.

We don't know. Your friends can't tell you. Membership selection is private.

Sorry. It's tough.
Great answer! Compassionate and informative.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I think you should get through your new member period, get initiated and go through recruitment on the other side before you start putting things you heard out there on the internet.
She didn't do anything terrible - you are right, the new member period is a bit early to pass along 'inside' advice - but this answer is probably not that far off base.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
She didn't do anything terrible - you are right, the new member period is a bit early to pass along 'inside' advice - but this answer is probably not that far off base.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Gee_ess and Fascination. I was just trying to help her, after having gone through rush so recently. I know how you question yourself when you are dropped from a house. It really does a number on your self-confidence.