GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 1,223
0 members and 1,223 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2000, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Post What type...?

I am rushing both Alpha Chi Omega and Zeta Tau Alpha this fall. I'm not sure which I'll end up pledging. I need some info on what type of clothes I need for both rush and the pledge semester. I know I need dresses. Do they need to be long or short? Colors? Also, any other nice dresses or suits? Thanks so much. I live in a town where the closest store is an hour away, so I gotta be prepared. Thanks!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2000, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Talking

CLJdanzr,

There is a thread in the greeklife forum that discusses this in detail. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000541.html It's informative and should be of some help!

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 07-12-2000, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by CLJdanzr:
I am rushing both Alpha Chi Omega and Zeta Tau Alpha this fall. I'm not sure which I'll end up pledging. I need some info on what type of clothes I need for both rush and the pledge semester. I know I need dresses. Do they need to be long or short? Colors? Also, any other nice dresses or suits? Thanks so much. I live in a town where the closest store is an hour away, so I gotta be prepared. Thanks!!!
Hi...are AChiO and ZTA the only chapters at your chosen campus? If you are going through Formal Recruitment you will be required to visit all the houses on campus at least once. It's great to know you have two fraternities on your mind, but keep an open mind when visiting the houses on campus. On to your original question..

For Rush itself, check your Registration materials for information on appropriate dress throughout the week. It usually gets progressively dressier - the first couple of days may be shorts, moving to nice dresses and on the final night, preferentials, you'll want something dressy - either a suit or a 'church type' dress. Don't bother with a ****tail dress or formal unless you are instructed to do so.

For pledging, most fraternities require all-white attire - either a dress or skirt/blouse. There should be no metallic or colored trim on the clothing or the shoes, if you buy them. Right now is a good time to scrounge sales for whites.

You will probably need one or two formal type dresses for semi-formal and formal dances. One or two suits for less dressy events like Founder's Day or awards luncheons. You will may be required to dress up for weekly chapter meetings and for dinner at the house at least once a week. Try to buy items that can be mixed and matched - a couple of skirts, a couple of pants and several blouses that go with everything. A blazer wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Good luck...if you have questions about Recruitment itself, please visit my FAQ page:
http://www.panhellenic.tripod.com

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 07-12-2000, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

you should check with panhellenic at YOUR college before you go out and buy anything for rush week. there are tons of different variations on what's expected during rush, and you wouldn't want to get the wrong things because you took advice from someone who isn't familiar with your situation. here are some considerations:

--someone above advised you not to get a ****tail dress for pref night. this might be correct at some schools, but at mine ****tail dresses were required for pref night. how much dressiness is expected of rushees will really depend on how southern/small/rich your college is. also, be aware that you might not be allowed to wear just any dress for pref night. mine wasn't allowed to be black, white or red (so we would stand out from the actives). you should find out how fancy the dress needs to be, and whether or not there are restrictions on color.

--most of the time girls wear short dresses for rush (because they tend to be more casual), but this depends on the season. for winter rush, it would be ok to wear a long dress or skirt as long as it was simple, modest, and not overly formal.

--you asked about colors. this would depend on what part of the country you'll be rushing in. you might see lots of black and grey, or lots of pastels. a safe bet is probably to see what's in stores like j.crew and ann taylor, and wear the sorts of colors that they're pushing for the season.

--about a white dress for initiation and ceremonies: you may or may not need one. some chapters at a particular school will require them, while some may not. and you don't know for sure where you'll end up, since you're not there yet. i'd say if you find one you really love, go ahead and buy it. you might be able to use it for something else. if you don't see something you want, don't worry about it. lots of girls borrow white dresses from big sisters, etc. and never actually need to buy one.

--i don't know what's normal at your college but at mine we don't need suits. i would recommend that you go to school with a couple of pairs of dressy pants (black and grey or brown) and some nice tops, plus some versatile, plain skirts.

--once you're in a sorority, you will need dresses for various parties and occasions. there are basically 3 levels of fanciness that you need to have covered: formal (but not prommy), semiformal/****tail, and "dressier than casual, but not quite ****tail."

[This message has been edited by southern_theta (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 07-13-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

CLJdanzr-

I am an Alpha Chi Omega. If you have any specific questions you would like answered, please feel free to email me and I will help you with what I can.
Old 07-14-2000, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

What school do you attend? It's so funny to see the difference in dress between Northern schools and Southern schools. Like I said, I'm from the South, but attend school in New England. I came to school, having bought lots and lots of new clothes for Rush (like my friends going to Auburn and Florida), and only wore about 3 or 4 outfits for Rush.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

in addition to what others have said above, you should know that some chapters will require you to dress up(as in black pants or skirt & top or casual dress) for the weekly chapter meeting. others don't care if you wear workout clothes. my chapter does not dress up for our weekly meeting, but each monday we dress up for class (in the same types of clothes as those who dress up for their meeting) & wear our pins. we aren't allowed to wear our pins unless we're dressed up (never with jeans, rarely with khakis). keeping this in mind you might want to bring some clothes that look extra nice but are casual enough to wear to class.