GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,437
0 members and 1,437 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2002, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Putting Down Your Sorority

This weekend I came home and was at my boyfriend's house when I ran into a girl that I went to high school with. He had told me that had rushed and was accepted in AST. I asked her about it, and the first thing she said was "it's not a good sorority, it's a stupid one." She said that she had to memorize all this junk, the creed, the motto etc and then she said "it's also not the pretty girls either, but I don't care because I'm the president of the pledge class." I was literally going

I rushed and would have LOVED to have been accepted into any of the sisterhoods on my campus.

To hear someone bash their new sisterhood makes me so sad. How can girls like this get in, but the ones who really like it and want it, not get it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

i know what you mean.. i am finishing up a draining rush..

its hard to see girls who care so little get houses and then there are girls like us who are so excited about the whole thing lose out on the opportunity...
Old 09-28-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I don't understand why she put down her sorority. Maybe she is just a self-depricating person who insults herself before anyone else has a chance to insult her.

I'm sorry that you didn't get a bid. I think that you can always try again.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
She may not realize what she has yet.

It took me a couple weeks to realize what Phi Mu could be for me. I can't say I put it down in the beginning, but I certainly started taking it a LOT more seriously towards the end of my pledge period.

People like that drive me nuts. Next time she says something, be like, "If you don't like it, don't respect it, and put it down all the time -- why are you in it?" Either she thinks she's being cool and that'll shut her up quick -- or this is a question she really needs to think over.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

i know a bunch of people like that from home -- it might just be that she doesn't feel confident that people will respect her decision to join a sorority, so she tries to beat them to the punch by putting it down herself (before they can do it). i know i felt weird the first time i came home and told people i went to high school with that i joined a house.

and maybe she feels like because her house isn't the BEST on her campus that people will look down on her. that's not to say that they would, but sometimes people get nervous.

she obviously cares enough to be pledge class president -- and that's a lot of work! i'm sure she'll come around eventually.

but in the meantime, i agree -- it's awful that she bashes on her sorority when there are so many other girls out there who would really care about the sisterhood. it's a shame. hopefully someday she'll come around.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

hmmmm....

It sounds to me like she would put down any sorority if her complaints include having to memorize stuff!! Isn't that just a part of being a member of almost anything? I have studied martial arts with the American Taekwondo Association for years, and even for that, we had to memorize facts about Taekwondo and history of the organization. She gives the impression that she wanted to be a part of a sorority to enhance her social calendar rather than to expand her life experiences. Her dedication to her roll as pledge president seems to contradict that impression, so hopefully, her remarks aren't a true indication of her feelings.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient

Last edited by erica812; 09-28-2002 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aprilxo Send a message via Yahoo to aprilxo
ack!!

It seems that there are enough people out there putting down sororities that we don't need our own members doing so! It's really sad if some ladies choose to have an attitude such that it doesn't bother them to put down something that should be lifting them up

TBSG~~I tried to PM you but it said your box was full!

Greek love,
April
Old 09-29-2002, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

TBSG, is it possible that this AST new member knew that you would really like to be in a sorority and didn't want to make you feel bad? Did she maybe worry that if she said positive things about her sorority that you would she she was rubbing salt in your wounds?

I just ask because sometimes I have highlighted the flaws of my alma mater (which I love) in front of people who wanted to go there. Some of them were understandably kind of envious, so I tried very hard not steer away from suggesting that they were missing out on great things, and I sometimes erred on the side of insulting the school.

Ivy
Old 09-29-2002, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Interesting, Ivy -- I didn't even think of that.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I ever told her that I wanted to go greek. Maybe somehow she found out, but the way she talked about it made me just so mad! "The stupid sorority" what in the world!! You should be proud to say you are in such and such. She came off as if she honestly did not like it, so why spend all the money? Beats me!
Old 09-29-2002, 10:46 PM

This girl sounds like a dork. Maybe she sees things that she'd like to improve on, but you don't come into someone's home and tell them their wallpaper is ugly and start steaming it off.

I've never met a stupid AST. If she's scamming them for the letters, they'll kick her out fast.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Re: Putting Down Your Sorority

Quote:
Originally posted by ToBeSororityGrl
I asked her about it, and the first thing she said was "it's not a good sorority, it's a stupid one." She said that she had to memorize all this junk, the creed, the motto etc and then she said "it's also not the pretty girls either, but I don't care because I'm the president of the pledge class." I was literally going
She sounds like a girl that had the wrong idea about sororities when she joined. She probably thought it was about partying and boys. Hopefully the responsibility of being pledge class president will shape her up!