GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,702
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, kaylapetrvoz880
» Online Users: 785
0 members and 785 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2004, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphabug02
Lightbulb Starting an Alum Association

Hi guys, I was hoping I could get some help on this board. A few other alums and I are interested in starting an Alumnae Association. Our Homecoming is coming up next weekend and I thought this might be a good time to bring up the subject. I have read a lot of posts in this section about it, but I have some specific questions. If you have any input on any of these questions or you are just really knowledgeable in this area please feel free to respond or PM me.

Thanks!

1. Is there a difference between an Alumnae Association and an Alumnae Chapter?
2. What is the best way to start/ organize an Alumnae Association?
3. Are there any key positions that we should have?
4. What are the pros and cons of having an Alum Association?
5. What types of events should the Alumnae Association focus on (social, philanthropic, incentive, etc…)?
6. What types of events have worked for your organization?
7. How can we work with the Collegian Chapter, without making them feel as if we’re trying to come in, take over and their Chapter?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you have an Advantage book??? Some of the answers are in there...also, I would contact Nora TB, she can give you the info you need (she was VP of Alum, but they've changed the postion titles, so I'm not sure who is actually in charge anymore). I know that you need 5 or more members, and the postions needed are in the advantage book. As for the question about getting involved with your collegiate chapter, contact the VP of Alum and Heritage and just ASK her what she would like you to do...That way you're not stepping on toes (although I guess I'm one to talk about that...) and you get to get involved and the chapter gets exactly what they need.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphabug02
Thanks, AlphaFrog- Actually, I'm familiar with how to start an Alumnae Chapter, but what I want to do is start an Alum Association that is made up of the Alums from one specific chapter/ school, although, from what I've read it doesn't have to be limited to just them (which is where in ASA the crossover between an Alumnae Chapter and an Association could get confusing).

I believe the Associations main purpose would be to provide fun activities, information and financial support to the undergraduate chapter. Which I think would be different from an Alumnae Chapter. An Alumnae Chapter serves to bring alumnae in from many chapters who live in the same area and provide them with a social outlet and a connection back to the National Organization, but this is just how I view the differences.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 AM

Phi Mu and DZ have Chapter Associations which is what you're talking about. About the only thing we have that is chapter based is some chapters have housing corps.

Also, from what I gather, many fraternities operate their alum chapters this way. (Hey men, come here!)
Old 10-19-2004, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sig does both Alum Chapters and Alum Associations. Alum associations are different because the sisters are all alumnae of a specific chapter but do not have to be in the same geographic area. There aren't dues or requirements... but it is a great way to share information and happenings.

I am actually serving as our Alum Assoc Liasion and could help you get started if you like and let you know how we do it. Just PM me for specifics...
Old 10-19-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

AST has support groups which are set-up to help a specific chapter and does not require geographical proximity. My chapter just set one up, and it is great for us because our chapter alumnae draw from around the world. We set it up at our 5 year reunion, and so far it has been working well (all 5 months!) We are still working on our national recogition. But we have alumnae who come and do chapter inspection type things twice a year, these almnae are at least 3 years out of college who are doing the inspection stuff. So they do kinda what our EC or DP would do and interview all officers and staff.

The group is also setting up scholarships, helping w/house furnishings, and also generally kicking the chapter in the butt when needed. This has actually brought in a number of alumnae who were previously not involved and now more of our chapter alumnae are paying alumnae dues and that kind of stuff. SO...a few years out this group will help facilitate a house corp. if we move that direction, they are also helping streamline how the chapter spends money and does long term project.

*note- we have the people doing the chapter visits at least 3 years out to avoid old dramas, but still have alumnae who are interested and eligible. My guess is eventually it will be a few more years out to do the inspection stuff, just so that they have more experience out of college.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Starting an Alum Association

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabug02
[B

An association pertains to ALL alums of that particular GLO, the chapter is just for that....chapter members only.
P.R. post anywhere and everywhere imaginable, contact your national, use craigslist, whatever. It takes really several strong people who are dedicated to follow through on this as well.
3. Are there any key positions that we should have? President, VP, Secretary, Community Service, Social......
The Pros are is it is a wonderful way to meet people, network and maintain the bonds of sisterhood beyond college. The only "cons "I have really run into (which really aren't a big deal at all) is that it has been a very slow go of things for us and you will ALWAYS have one or two people who can NEVER go to things (even if you plan events for every day of the week at every time for a month straight) and they will get moody and annoying to you "for not accommodating them". Also be SPECIFIC about the area your association covers. Ours is for the NYC area (meaning primarily the 5 boros, but sisters from Long Island, Westchester, NJ, wherever really are welcome to attend). I've had people not understand when I said we are not going to plan events in Central or South Jersey because we all live in NYC.
5. What types of events should the Alumnae Association focus on (social, philanthropic, incentive, etc…)?
I think in the beginning, social is the best. It is also really REALLY hard, trust me, to get people involved if it is not mandatory like in undergrad to attend a community service event.
6. What types of events have worked for your organization? Dinner, happy hours, try to keep it the same day and time every month in the beginning.
7. How can we work with the Collegian Chapter, without making them feel as if we’re trying to come in, take over and their Chapter?
Just be specific and tell them that. Tell them what you are trying to plan for your group.
[/B]
Old 10-19-2004, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

OKAY, Guy Stand point.

We did an Alum thing for Greater Metro KC.

It did not work out and worked best for us to do our own Alum Group for our Chapter.

From there, We started a Mentoring Group to work with Actives of the Chapter and do this twice a year.

Since a New House Building Group that I started just built further.

It depends I guess on what each Group is set up for or could work together as a whole.

If and if only there is a number of Chapters where you are located means a lot of what you are trying to do. If there are none, then it is totally different.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-20-2004, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Point of clarification, Brother Earp (gotta love Robert's Rules)...

Lambda Chi Alpha hasn't got many "regional" associations. We both know that the one in San Antonio's working well; sadly, Chicago's attempt to start one did about as well as KC's. I'm sure the reasons are the same in most cases (how to find the time/volunteers/etc.).

FWIW, some fraternities do very well w/this concept. I'm thinking specifically of Sigma Chi, but I've heard that other NIC groups are just as prolific. For example, there are 130+ Sigma Chi alumni chapters/luncheon meetings (in some areas, the alumni gatherings outnumber the undergrad chapters).

Obviously, it's something that can be done...we just need to find out how.

TTFN,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

This comment comes up quite a bit:

ABC fraternity/sorority is doing (insert any activity here) better than we are

So my question is, what are you doing to actively understand WHY they are more successful. All things being equal, their alumnae/i are as busy with their lives as your's are. What have they done you can replicate? The good thing is that technically, you are non-competiting. You CAN'T steal their alumnae/i away from them. Sigma Chi is unlikely to show up at your Lambda Chi barbecue no matter how good the food is.

It seems to me that the larger umbrella bodies of both sororities and fraternities would be actively pursuing best in class examples of what works and what doesn't when it comes to alumnae/i involvement. Does anyone know if this is under investigation?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Starting an Alum Association

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabug02
Hi guys, I was hoping I could get some help on this board. A few other alums and I are interested in starting an Alumnae Association.

3. Are there any key positions that we should have?
6. What types of events have worked for your organization?
First off, I would recommend you check with your org's National Office (or equiv) to see if they have any documents or whatever on how to start an Alumni group.

1. If there is a difference between an Alum Association or an Alum Chapter, that will vary from group to group. In my org, originally Alum formed Alumni Chapters. Later these were renamed to be Alumni Associations. Alumni Associations can be either chapter-based (ie alum only from a single chapter) or area-based (ie all alum in a geographical area, usually a metro area, but could be a state). Chapter based Associations could be national, since the alumni of a chapter could be scattered around the country.

2. Again, see if your org has any documents on this. Good starting point is to get from them a list of the members you are trying to target (chapter or area) and go from there with mailings.

3. You're probably going to want at a minimum of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. As your group grows you may want others. Again, check to see if your org mandates any officer positions.

4. Don't know of any cons. Pros is to allow for the alumni to stay in touch, do stuff to benefit the org (fundraising, help chapters, etc), do stuff that would benefit the alumni, etc.

5. This is going to depend on the people who make up the group. Some may want to do all those. Some may want to only do some.

6. Evening dinner meetings have been successful. Service projects have been successful. We've tried picnics, but have been less successful with those.

7. That, again, I'd recommend you check to see if your org has guidelines in this area. Hopefully local chapters should welcome involvement with local alumni groups.

Hope this helps.
Section 71 Chair
Old 10-20-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

all good advice posted above
Old 10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brother Boz, could not agree with you more

Maybe for Guys it is harder than Sorors.

It did not work out for us or another Chapter. It was a good idea at the time.

I think Dallas is another example as per John Pierce who is of Pryamid fame.

If it works, I am all for it. Anything to work for Betterment of GLOs!

God, a MASS GLO Front, what a Great thing that would be!

LX Z # 1
Alumni