GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,099
1 members and 1,098 guests
Mooch279

Old 09-20-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Ideas

I am looking for new ideas on how to achieve more Alumni involvement. As you know, the Alumni support is fundumental in the life of chapter.
We have been kind of negligent toward our Alumni and mostly cared about our parties, but now this needs to be changed.
One problem is that I need some ideas on how to make the highest amount Alumni gatherings on Alumni weekend and entire year overall. Every idea I have in my mind seems to be inappopriate. The stuff I would want to do, I would not picture mature Alumni's to enjoy, and vice versa. I don't want to force anyone to come to the socials they aren't going to enjoy.
Hey, men, let me know what you think! I really appreciate the input!
Yuriy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I take it a National Fraternity.

Alums need to have a reason to come back to Campus at least two times yar.

Homecoming, speaks for it self.

Fouynders Day, we started doing and Auction. Fraternity items, School items or just items. Donated buy Alums bid on by actives and Alums alike.

Last year I donated @ 150.00 worht of items.

This year it will be more. Money goes to the Chapter.

PM me for more Info.

Alum golf outings are nice, Float Trips are good, BBQ (Cook Outs) are another. Do you have a Sporting Team local, meet there! I did that this summer, Not a pro team, but just a fun outing!

Got to go!

Again, PM me!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

do you ever invite your alumni to rush? they like to come to ours to make sure we are looking closely at legacies.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon99
do you ever invite your alumni to rush? they like to come to ours to make sure we are looking closely at legacies.
Surely you guys invite them for better reasons that that!

The alums are always invited to rush events, but not for the legacy factor. The legacy thing has never really been a big deal at my campus.

We want our PNMs to know that sisterhood doesn't stop at graduation. It goes on for life, and no better way for the PNMs to see this in action than to meet them at rush events.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternal Greetings

Here is my two cents on the topic of maintaining good alumnus relations. The below email was sent to my actives.

Gentlemen,

Fraternal Greetings this holiday season. I wish you and your
loved ones all the best.

The continuing preservation of our brotherhood in the Post
Collegiate years lies in the hands of our pledge members and our actives. You are the underlying force that creates the everlasting bonds of unity maintained in our allegiance to the brotherhood. Take these words to heart and use them as your source and guiding light through your life journies and pathways.

I will be coming in next semester to talk about "Inclusion" and the impact that it has for the enduring preservation of our society in the present and for those years to follow.

Fraternally Yours,

Boodleboy322
Old 12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Boodleboy322

You make a good point.

OTW also makes a great point!

While as I stated in this theread or maybe another, We push for at least twice a year, Homecoming and Founders Day to get Brothers Back, there are other occasions, like a Sea Food Cook out our first last year aftr Western Week, a Charity Event We started 29 years ago.

One of Our Alums Holds Pierce Stock each year around 4 th of July a family thing. Big BBQ, horse shoes, badmitten, fishing in a pond he has and of course fire works for the kids, big and young.

Not being a Social Organization, I am not really sure how you all handle things. But, there are still little ways to get people get together, there is still a closeness that many will remember.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the kind words Tom. We are in fact a Social Organization. In fact I remember beating Chops in flag football during our intramurals back in the day (all in good love bro). We also allow drinking as long as everyone is of age. With the old guys it's usually no biggie.

Currently I'm working on a banquet project for next Summer. I started out by contacting our Director of Alumni Affairs at the National Headquarters and did a data sort for all registered alumni within a specified area code radius. I will be sending out a massive mail invite throughout our region. The next step is to bring the actives in on the fun by paying a visit to all the active chapters within the area.

All of this is maintained in my tracking and pricing model, a Microsoft Excel and Acces based program, where I allocate the funds for these types of events and help facilitate the needs of our area alumni.

Fraternally Yours,
Boodleboy322
Gamma Theta
Province 32 Area Alumni Coordinator
North Central/North East Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Boodleboy322

Not being a Social Organization, I am not really sure how you all handle things. But, there are still little ways to get people get together, there is still a closeness that many will remember.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps it would help to involve an alumni who is still semi involved (but more than a year or two out) to assist you in thinking of appropriate ideas. It might take awhile to bring them back. Really stress to recent grads your goals, bring them in and hopefully you will help create a tradition of alumni involvement. It won't happen overnight though. But maybe in 3-4 years you could have a very strong group. They need to reintroduce themselves and their lives to the fraternity and that can take a while when you consider all the 'things' in their lives. Good Luck
Old 01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

BoodleBoy, first off, my appologies. That is called having a Brain Fart by an oldster!

ukrsindicat, never under estimate what new and old Alums might want to do. When We get together as a body, We are one. Granted if some of the more mature Alums do some of the things, it hurts like hell the next day and takes longer to recuiperate!

I remember a Regional Conference I attended @ 8 years ago, and got rug burn on the knees from diving for something to beat one of the younger Brothers. I got it and man did I pay for it later! But got a late call the last night telling me to get my ass up to another floor. God what a night that was to behold and what a fun time. Age did not matter, it was just being Brothers.

Just remember, it is not just the Newer Alums, but those like myself and many others on GC and in each Greek Organization who keep the drive alive. Just make sure there is a continuity when Brothers Graduate.

Trust me, I know as We did not do that and have been trying to correct it for 15 years now.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
peanutttu

We are making alot of changes to our alum association this year. We are revamping our 'programming'. We are offering two different dates each month, usually one during the week and one on the weekend, as well as hold the events in different locations of the Metroplex.

Some events we have planned for through April are happy hours, paint your own pottery, garage sale (fundraiser), cookie swap, Sunday Brunch, Date Party, Horse Races, wine and cheese party, scrapbooking day, book exchanges, etc.

The events are planned so if one doesn't prefer a happy hour they can attend a different event without having to go a month or two w/out attending a meeting.

We're always looking for more ideas
Old 02-11-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Guys, thank you very much for your input. Keep'em coming!

Yuriy
Old 02-12-2005, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Most alumni are interested in at least these three things. What is going on with the chapter, what is going on with the fraternity, and what is going on with the school.

So if y'all don't already, then how about inviting alums to a chapter meeting. Perhaps a 'state of the chapter' night where y'all bring alums up to date with with the chapter, fraternity and school. And to help entice 'em to come, have a cook out or provide dinner either before or after.

And don't wait for homecoming, attend a basketball or football game together.

And you may always send out a survey to the alums. See what 'they' would like.