GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,597
0 members and 1,597 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumni sending newsletter to chapter

Hi I looked through several pages of alumni involvement and could not find a posting on my issue.

I was thinking of starting an alumni newsletter for my sorority however it would be for all of us alumni informing the chapter on what we are doing or just a way for us to connect with the sorority again or each other.

I am a recent graduate so sorority life is still pretty strong in me.

So I thought it would be a cool idea.

Also do anyone know of anyone starting a alumni website for their chapter? If so let know if you have any tips or suggestions.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alumni sending newsletter to chapter

Quote:
Originally posted by annice22
Hi I looked through several pages of alumni involvement and could not find a posting on my issue.

I was thinking of starting an alumni newsletter for my sorority however it would be for all of us alumni informing the chapter on what we are doing or just a way for us to connect with the sorority again or each other.

Also do anyone know of anyone starting a alumni website for their chapter? If so let know if you have any tips or suggestions.

Thanks
My only advise would be to check on your organization's rules about alumni groups. Do they allow for chapter-based alumni groups, or area-based or both? Do you need permission from the chapter to form a chapter-based group? Do you need to get approval from your national organization to form a group? (this is done to protect the copyrights/trademarks on your name, etc)
Section 71 Chair
Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Re: Alumni sending newsletter to chapter

Quote:

Thanks
Start a yahoo group instead.

Cheaper and if the undergrads want to join they can.

Naraht - they can send out a newsletter that's called "the [insert Annice's chapter name here] quarterly" and I can't see any national HQ having an issue with that. There's no need to put PSS stuff all over it, they know what sorority they are in.

Here's an alum website. (the current one is down, this is the archived one)

http://web.archive.org/web/200402071...tergators.com/
Old 02-08-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

We would not start an additional group it would be just a newsletter from all the alumni from my sorority updated the chapter on our lives.

An the website that I was thinking about would be similar in context to the newsletter where we could post messages and pictures. Maybe in the future have the site attached to the chapter website.

That's pretty much it.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

yahoo groups a nice choice for a newsletter

Quote:
We would not start an additional group it would be just a newsletter from all the alumni from my sorority updated the chapter on our lives.

An the website that I was thinking about would be similar in context to the newsletter where we could post messages and pictures. Maybe in the future have the site attached to the chapter website.

That's pretty much it.
You seem to be describing the functionalities of a yahoo group. With a yahoo group you can manage your members' email addresses, send out newsletters and updates, build a database of members and their professions, upload documents and pictures, post polls, archive past messages, and I believe you can even make a public facing website to get more attention.

Not sure if there are other list services out there similar to yahoo groups.

Depends on how much money you have for the project as to which direction to go.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Re: Re: Alumni sending newsletter to chapter

The newsletter that you are describing is from the AST chapter here in West Chester (where I currently live.) The newsletter is down because they (the alumnae) didn't get enough donations to keep the site up and running.

My own AST chapter has an alumnae MSN group and a MSN group for alumnae and active sisters.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter also has an MSN site. However, it seems like most chapters of AST have either MSN or Yahoo. They can be pretty helpful.

My chapter always did a few alumnae updates in the chapter newsletter. So they would have four or five each newsletter. It worked well, but perhaps the chapter could help publish it in their newsletter and thus let the alumnae know what other alumnae are up to.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: yahoo groups a nice choice for a newsletter

Quote:
Originally posted by TxAPhi
You seem to be describing the functionalities of a yahoo group. With a yahoo group you can manage your members' email addresses, send out newsletters and updates, build a database of members and their professions, upload documents and pictures, post polls, archive past messages, and I believe you can even make a public facing website to get more attention.

Not sure if there are other list services out there similar to yahoo groups.

Depends on how much money you have for the project as to which direction to go.
Our chapter already have Yahoo group which I have started a year ago and it get used by the chapter.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter alum (who is also our chapter advisor) does our chapter newsletter. She sends it out in a word file to the alumnae since we were re-chartered (13 years ago) about 4 or 5 times a year. It's nothing too fancy but it keeps everyone up to date. The collegiates usually submit a brief article about what's been happening and what's coming up. And then brief updates submitted alumnae usually regarding engagement, marriages, births, moves, new jobs, promotions, etc. She also usually includes a list of upcoming birthdays and anniversaries. I imagine it would be more difficult if we had it mailed out but through e-mail it keeps it pretty simple.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Good ideas from all!

annice22

While the yahoo site is set up by you, are your the Master of the site?

BN Chapter from FIT LXA has a Site and does and can incorporate both Active and Alum. Unless you want to keep it seperated that would be something else.

You might check with and see if something can be done without setting up two sites. You as the Master maybe able to do that with a whatever it is called. I am PC illiterate for sure. Just a thought.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AK Phi Sig
Annice22,

A Yahoo group seems like it would fit what you are trying to do.

Last year Phi Sig HQ began a big push to set up Alumnae Associations for all chapters using Yahoo. The groups provide an opportunity for alumnae to reconnect, post messages, etc. While the groups are designed for alum use, many of the AAs have invited the collegiate alum chair to join so that information can be shared by both sides.

There is a list on the Phi Sig website of all active AAs. If your chapter is not listed as having a group set up, the Regional Alumnae Coordinator would be able to help you get one started. If you are interested let me know and I can help you out.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I finished the first issue of the newsletter. I designed it through publisher and posted it on our yahoo group. The other alumnae thought it looked really good. The newsletter is saved as a web page so it will come up online.

Our newsletter will be published three times a year. Each issue will have a theme or topic and quit a few alumnae want to submit information and I'm contacting some for information.

Thanks for all the comments very helpful

Old 02-19-2005, 01:11 PM

My chapter has an alumnae website. One of my sisters is a web designer, and she's put together a great site. She posts an article about once a month, and alums and actives can post contact info, birthdays, and news updates. She even hosts it on her own server (geek ). The site is password protected, so I can't share it with you.

If you don't need all those bells and whistles, a Yahoo group might be just the thing. If you're going to post contact information, be sure it's password protected.