GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,579
5 members and 1,574 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AWSPE
Another quick question...can the Dean of Students at a public school decide if there is a Greek system or not?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2005, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WLFEO
I think that's true, Firehouse! I believe I just read something about that in Fraternal Law. Have you seen that, AWSPE? Your national office gets it, I bet. It's a 4-5 page publication put out by a law firm that covers the law as it relates to Greeks.

Too bad I always throw mine out after reading it or I would send it to you. Maybe it's on the internet somewhere???

I'll try to dig through my files to see if I have any back copies......

I will see if i cant find it on my national website
Old 03-24-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer your question: No. Not the Dean, nor anyone can tell you with whom you may or may not associate. If your fraternity wants to establish a chapter, the University is forbidden by law from interfering. Of course Universities interfere all the time, depending on the liklihood that students can be bullied and don't know their rights. The Freedom of Association Act was passed by Congress in 1996, primarily as a reaction against overbearing bullies who are college administrators. They cannot: prevent you from establishing a chapter, enforce "certification standards" on you, and your speech is absolutely protected. However...it's never a good idea to make enemies where none are wanted, so it's best to obey the law and be nice. Your civil rights attorney should meet with the University Counsel (not the Dean) and/or perhaps the University President. The Dean sounds like a self-important fop.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Rather than trying to fight the university on every initiative they introduce-- remember, they're trying to keep the student body balanced and healthy-- why not form a Greek panel that works with the dean and his office to communicate ideas and educate fellow Greeks on the dean's mission and strategic plan for student activties.

Trying to understand where he's coming from and communicating that you understand him will help your case-- and open him to the possibility of understanding you.

The dean isn't making arbitrary decisions to run your chapter into the ground-- he is looking out for the best interests of the students. So go to him as a student group, and get to know where he's coming from. Invite him into a dialogue. When you make allies, your allies protect your interests.

Building this relationship takes time. But ultimately, when you go through these channels, you will earn respect and the right to be heard-- which means you have the opportunity to present your case and for your goal to succeed.

ETA: The alternative is to make a loud fuss, protest and make your organization appear to be a bunch of whiners-- generating negative publicity and portraying Greeks in the media once more as whining children. Go into this with the intention that you want to grow your negotiation skills-- something that will be useful once college is a fondly fading memory.

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-24-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AWSPE
Another quick question...can the Dean of Students at a public school decide if there is a Greek system or not?
No, but they can choose to not recognize it, and some GLOs will not colonize or keep chapters open at a school where they are not recognized.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Rather than trying to fight the university on every initiative they introduce-- remember, they're trying to keep the student body balanced and healthy-- why not form a Greek panel that works with the dean and his office to communicate ideas and educate fellow Greeks on the dean's mission and strategic plan for student activties.

Trying to understand where he's coming from and communicating that you understand him will help your case-- and open him to the possibility of understanding you.

The dean isn't making arbitrary decisions to run your chapter into the ground-- he is looking out for the best interests of the students. So go to him as a student group, and get to know where he's coming from. Invite him into a dialogue. When you make allies, your allies protect your interests.

Building this relationship takes time. But ultimately, when you go through these channels, you will earn respect and the right to be heard-- which means you have the opportunity to present your case and for your goal to succeed.

ETA: The alternative is to make a loud fuss, protest and make your organization appear to be a bunch of whiners-- generating negative publicity and portraying Greeks in the media once more as whining children. Go into this with the intention that you want to grow your negotiation skills-- something that will be useful once college is a fondly fading memory.
No he is trying to kill it. He is strongly against the greek system. Maybe it is different in your situation but not here.

Also I contacted Judge Mitch Crane, a renouned fraternal law expert, who happens to be an alum of Sigma Phi Epsilon. Here is what he typed:

my question:
Brother Crane, I found your contact on your website after searching
for fraternal law on the internet. My chapter, Michigan Kappa, and
actually the entire Greek system here at Grand Valley State University
could use a little bit of clarification on some laws.

The Dean of Students has already imposed on year of deferred rush
which has drastically affected the membership throughout the system.
This was done as a punishment because they feel as if we are not
meeting expectations. Well, rumor of another deferred rush is in the
mix with IFC. We are a public school and from what I have heard a
deferred rush violates a civil law.

Can you please offer any advice to me and my chapter so that it can be
presented at IFC. I am a graduating senior, previous president, and
it would pain me to see this chapter fall to the wayside of
administration

His response
Brother Wild:

There are many incorrect perceptions as to what a public institution can and cannot do.

The US Supreme Court established fifty years ago the Freedom of Association. It cam from a realistic understanding that the basic right of Free Speech and to Assemble could not operate without a right to associate.

This basically means that a public institution cannot prohibit the right of students to associate with whom they please. They also cannot refuse to "recognize" an organization merely because they do not like it or agree with its purposes.

HOWEVER, fraternities and sororities have been given special privileges by congress-including the right to maintain a single-sex status. These protections come because it was recognized that fraternal organizations had greater purposes, standards, etc.

In order to keep these rights there is an expectation that we keep what makes us special- developing leaders, service, ritual, etc...

Public institutions have the right to set reasonable standards for recognition, etc. If it can be shown that those we rush ( freshmen ) do poorly academically, are prone to risk management violations or violations of law, etc...there is nothing that would prevent a public institution from deferring that rushing.

Of course, they cannot defer rush for all just because some are a problem. The more prudent course would be to defer rush for those chapters that fall below minimum standards and allow the others to rush as usual.

I hope that helps clarify what I believe is the current law.

Mitch Crane
Old 03-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Do the sororities have deferred rush?

If not, it would be a great reverse discrimination case.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Do the sororities have deferred rush?

If not, it would be a great reverse discrimination case.
No they do not. And that is exactly what I said last year but IFC dropped the ball and never brought out that arguement.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No he is trying to kill it. He is strongly against the greek system. Maybe it is different in your situation but not here.
I'd make DARN sure the Greeks didn't give him a reason to kill it. Don't be/act stupid.

Quote:
This basically means that a public institution cannot prohibit the right of students to associate with whom they please. They also cannot refuse to "recognize" an organization merely because they do not like it or agree with its purposes.
Keep in mind that you can associate without having Greek letters. I tell struggling chapters (who want to do nothing but hang out and drink together) that a charter and a letter shirt aren't required to "hang out and drink".

Quote:
HOWEVER, fraternities and sororities have been given special privileges by congress-including the right to maintain a single-sex status. These protections come because it was recognized that fraternal organizations had greater purposes, standards, etc.

In order to keep these rights there is an expectation that we keep what makes us special- developing leaders, service, ritual, etc...

Public institutions have the right to set reasonable standards for recognition, etc. If it can be shown that those we rush ( freshmen ) do poorly academically, are prone to risk management violations or violations of law, etc...there is nothing that would prevent a public institution from deferring that rushing.
And therin lies your challenge. Prove that it isn't detrimental to freshmen at your school to join in their first semester (the "national" statistics aren't going to amount to a hill of beans at your school if your behaviors/records aren't consistent with what the statistics say). That proof comes not only from grades, but from disciplinary records as well. If freshmen are getting alcohol violations after coming home from a fraternity party...that's not going to help you out any.
As far as what your organizations can do to regain 1st semester recruitment, you mentioned in the beginning that the Dean's reasoning was because the fraternities aren't living up to their standards, yet you feel as though there are no clear standards.

Sit down with him/her and clarify those standards. Then live up to them.

This is where the 5 Star programs come into play. IF the expectations listed in them are fair, they are a great tool for assessing the state of the chapters and looking at what needs improving for each chapter. (Yes, I know Delaware's program is kinda harsh, but you don't have to use that one. There are TONS of them out there...ask your fellow SigEp chapters about them). At the school I advise, it's not a matter of points or percentages, instead for each Star level (in 6 different categories), you have to earn something like "4 out of 5 standards" or "4 out of 6 standards" to achieve that level. So....if your chapter GPA wasn't above the All Greek GPA that semester, you can still earn 4 Star status because you have the opportunity to check something else off. The bare minimums of chapter existence are the 3 Star standards (and these are the BARE minimums or less needed to stay in good standing with your HQ so they aren't hard to achieve)...if a chapter falls below that one semester, we sit down and discuss what needs to improve and how they can improve it. If they stay below 3 Stars for a full year, we have a more serious discussion (and that's where probations can come into play) because the chapter may have lost it's focus and direction and is going downhill fast.

So, I'd ask that Dean what standards he wants all of the Greeks to live up to, and then I'd form a committee/task force to craft a mutually agreeable list of standards, along with the consequences and rewards tied to them. Then go achieve them.

At a conference this week I heard a SigEp alum (who ranks up there in the Greek Advising world) comment about chapters "If we evaluated our current existing chapters on the requirements we have in order to charter a new chapter, we'd probably lose half of our chapters." We were talking about the difference between the standards for new chapters to be installed and the current chapters/initiated members. So if you're looking for a place to start, check out your chartering requirements.

By the way...the SigEp chapter on my campus doubled it's size this year with deferred recruitment (as did another chapter...the other two pledged about 1/4 of it's current size...which is healthy for them right now). ALL the fraternity men changed their approach to recruitment tactics and really pushed "going Greek" to the freshmen in the fall. Since this issue may not be resolved before Fall semester begins, I'd start thinking about your recruitment plans now.

Good Luck!!
PsychTau
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

With respect, stay away from ALL "Five Star" programs or things of that nature. It gives the University (read: this Dean, an innate adversary) the power to shape the goals and purpose of YOUR fraternity, and to punish for arbitrary reasons. It is a Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter, and ONLY the standards of Sig Ep apply. These chapters belong to the fraternity, not to the whims of self-important mid-level administrators. And by the way, our chapters do not have to "prove" anything in order to receive and maintain recognition. It is up to the University to "prove" that an individual fraternity's behavior is eggregious. No system-wide group punishment should be allowed.
You know, it always surprises me when these arrogant Deans issue edicts as if they don't know that they have no power to enforce them. I guess they depend on ignorance and intimidation to further their grab for power.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This is all great information being received on my end. Thanks to all contributors. Keep it coming.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
No they do not. And that is exactly what I said last year but IFC dropped the ball and never brought out that arguement.
OK, unenlightened puppet of the patriarchy that I am I think it's fine for men to have first semester and women deferred, but THUPER DUPER LAAAYME to do it the other way around.

Get together statistics of how many women make it through pledging/initiate/stay active, and how many men do the same. If the men have more initiate than the women - and if they STAY active (this is all about retention) you've won your argument.

And WORD to everything Firehouse said about 5 star programs. Half the time they're created from a template by people who know very little about your campus's Greek system.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Have you talked to your Fraternity brothers at other schools that have deferred recruitment to find out what they do? The school I went to, Miami University, uses deferred recruitment and we have a very strong Greek System, on both the fraternity and sorority side. If the administration won't budge on when recruitment will be held, then you need to make the best of the situation. Learn from other chapters and what they do, call them up asking for suggestions and then put those into action. Honestly, I don't think deferred recruitment will kill off the Greek system, like it sounds like you think may happen. Once again, make the best of what you consider a bad situation.