GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,642
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, janesssifta9690
» Online Users: 968
2 members and 966 guests
Craigwex, janesssifta9690

Old 11-14-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

HOW TRUE...

Quote:
Originally posted by Moxie
there were several times when i was going through recruitment that i just wanted to bust out and say - LOOK, don't *bs* me...i KNOW you may be inclined to cut me because i am older, but first let me list all of the reasons why i would make a good addition to this group! yada yada yada...

i know i could have convinced anyone!!!

of course, i didn't want to be too forward

i got lucky!!!
AMEN!!!! There were so many times last year I just wanted to scream this to chapters!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2003, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

how does this work?

Ok, this is in the UK Guidelines :
3. Potential members with a junior or senior standing will receive special consideration during bid matching, i.e., not being included in an individual chapter's quota at the time of bid matching. No chapter would be allowed to exceed Quota by more than five percent which includes these additions along with other Quota additions.

So, if a chapter has 160 prior to rush they get 5% onto that?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry

Ok sorry I'm posting twice, but this was in there too.

5. After snap bids have been extended and accepted, Quota Additions will take place. Quota Addition procedures will follow the NPC Quota Addition Guidelines.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: how does this work?

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
Ok, this is in the UK Guidelines :
3. Potential members with a junior or senior standing will receive special consideration during bid matching, i.e., not being included in an individual chapter's quota at the time of bid matching. No chapter would be allowed to exceed Quota by more than five percent which includes these additions along with other Quota additions.

So, if a chapter has 160 prior to rush they get 5% onto that?
No. They'd get 5% on to Quota, not Total. So if that year they could take 100 pledges, they could take an extra 5 juniors and seniors over the 100 regular pledges, giving them a pledge class of 105.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey,
I thought i'd share my story about rushing as an upperclassmen. I rushed this fall, and was the age of a junior, 20 almost 21, but had sophmore status because of transferring.
In my pledge class we had including me 3 soph. 1 junior and 26 freshman.
I go to a small (greekwise) school. We only have 3 sororities (and like 7 fraternities, talk about uneven! ) So thats' probably a factor in why my status did't hurt me. All the sororities took the time to get to know me. I cut one (we had to narrow them down for invite parties) and one cut me before pref, but I think those cuts were because i had found my home in dz and didn't fit in the other places. not because of my age.
But i will share that due to the almost 3 year age difference between myself and my nm class members it did take me longer to get to know them and to fit in with them. I love my sisters and have quite an appreciation for them, but it wasn't easy to get to know them initially because of the maturity difference.
Of course it was worth the extra effort, but i would tell the other upperclassmen to keep it in mind that it might take more work and time to bond with pledge sisters you might not have as much in common with, so don't get discouraged!

PS moxie i love your sig.

~jess~
Old 12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

well you can never say why someone gets cut from from rush unless you are a chapter they rushed but it can DEFINITELY be for a reason other than not having any outstanding traits (physical or Personality)
I mean maybe it's spring and my chapter can only take 5 women, you may have traits that stand out and all... but we just don't have enough spots. I mean honestly it's hard for a chapter to cut girls in the first place we don't just do it randomly, it's a very hard task choosing who you want as future sisters, and as I have recently had some encounters with some ladies who we decided not to bid it is shall we say a *bit* uncomfortable when you show up at target (in letters no less) to look at the camera section and the girl who rushed last semester and was rejected turns around to help you. PNMs should know that sisters aren't directly trying to hurt them... it's just part of the process and it does hurt to get cut but it's really really not vendictive or meant to be mean.

Last edited by Glitter650; 12-03-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I've read through this thread a million times. But is it a stupid idea for seniors to go through formal rush? I mean knowing they have a good chance of not getting picked up, that's a big heartbreak.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Re: ....

Quote:
OK, I've read through this thread a million times. But is it a stupid idea for seniors to go through formal rush? I mean knowing they have a good chance of not getting picked up, that's a big heartbreak.
My impression, from most schools I have read about on GC, and from personal experience, that it is not likely for a senior to get a bid unless:

1. It is a colonization situation
2. It is a commuter or non-traditional campus
3. It is a COB situation where that person already knows many of the members before COB begins

I know umpteen people are going to get mad at this... I'm not saying it's *right*... It's just how it is.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand. Lots of the seniors I know that pledged their senior year, pledged the same sorority. So it maybe that just this one sorority takes seniors.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Re: .......

Quote:
I understand. Lots of the seniors I know that pledged their senior year, pledged the same sorority. So it maybe that just this one sorority takes seniors.
Yes, some chapters are far more open-minded and use broader and more COB-oriented recruitment methods. In these type of chapters seniors/upperclassmen ususally have a better shot.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

bump
Old 04-29-2004, 01:27 AM

I'm proof that you can receive a bid as a sophomore. While reasonably competitive, my campus is no Ole' Miss or UCF by any means.

Here at Kent, quota is about 25-30 w/ house total anywhere from 80-100. Sophs. and Jrs. stand pretty good chances of getting bids depending on how many girls go through and how many of those are freshmen. If there aren't many fresh. , groups are more willing to take upperclassmen.

For example, in 2002 there were 200 girls (mostly freshmen) rushing, so many upperclassmen were cut. In 2003, the same # of girls rushed, but it was pretty mixed class levels, so out of a pledge class of 25 girls there were maybe 10 sophomores and even like 5 juniors.

Many upperclassmen join thru COB though. It's very common for sororities to COB like 5 sophomores and even a few jrs. There were even a few sprinkles of seniors in the mix. The 2 other girls who received bids w/me are seniors (they both will have another year).

It majorly depends on your campus. What is acceptable @ Kent certainly may not be @ Ole' Miss, IU, UCF, or other big name greek schools.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-29-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to emphasize that if a PNM has questions about going through recruitment as an upperclassman you need to contact someone at your school to get an accurate answer. One hundred women can tell you that they went through recruitment as a sophomore, junior or senior and got the house of their dreams, but unless they did it at your school it doesn't answer your question. It is probable at some campuses and an absolute no at others. Ask around at your school or call your Greek Life office to be sure.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of the reasons for not taking juniors may have disappeared with the earlier initiations. When I was in college (back in the olden days) our chapter had a limit on the number of juniors we would take during rush - only about 6 or 7 out of a pledge class of about 55. Part of the rationale was that the pledges would not be initiated until February of the spring semester (we had fall rush), so a junior would only have a little over one full year as an initiated member. Now, however, since pledges are initiated during the fall semester, that rationale has disappeared.

I do have to add that one of our junior pledges was elected president of our chapter the very next year, which was very unusual in our big traditional chapter, as every president in previous years had pledged as a freshman.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aopinthesky
I want to emphasize that if a PNM has questions about going through recruitment as an upperclassman you need to contact someone at your school to get an accurate answer. One hundred women can tell you that they went through recruitment as a sophomore, junior or senior and got the house of their dreams, but unless they did it at your school it doesn't answer your question. It is probable at some campuses and an absolute no at others. Ask around at your school or call your Greek Life office to be sure.
I have to agree with this. It's better to give no advice than bad advice.

Secondly, why-oh-why won't more Panhellenics go to "free juniors and seniors"?!?!?