GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,541
0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Can you imagine if you were a PNM and someone said, "Hey Caitlin, your mom just got caught trying to sneak into a party as a PNM?" Oh wow!
Even worse the impression with which I was left was is that the PNM was in that particular group, but also that the mom was at least somewhat sheepish about it as she left the line. I do think the Gamma Chis tried to keep the whole thing low profile while recruitment was going on, and I heard about it a couple of weeks after Bid Day.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Does the brochure say where ADPi will be conducting its events?
I heard parts of the Union, the Grove, and possibly the Ballroom at the Inn at Ole Miss for pref. I think for more space they would like to have all of their events at the Inn at Ole Miss. However, logistically it would be hard for PNMs to walk or even bus from Sorority Row/Rebel Drive to the Inn. So for pref it shouldn't be as hard since there is usually a longer time in between parties based on how many women are returning for your pref parties. But really any place they conduct their parties they will do it up right! Their decorations and details were amazing last year so I'm sure this year will be even better! But that's just what I heard...I know their plans for their new house are circulating...I just can't seem to get a copy to see! But maybe that will change soon!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
When we on GC tell PNMs to keep their options open it is not only because preconceived notions often don't match up with reality, but also because one cannot predict which groups will appear on next round's invitation lists. Those PNMs who are adaptable and make the best of the chapters they are returning to, give themselves the best shot of receiving a bid. We also always advise PNMs to be interested and gracious at ALL their parties. That's just good manners.
Very wise words from another thread. Special thanks to FSUZeta!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I am flattered.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Rereading all these bumped posts and recruitment stories and a LSU story was my daughters experience at Ole Miss to a T. She knew NO ONE at Ole Miss, we were from out of state and had no connections. She was so devastated on bid day to get her number 2 only because she was so dirty rushed by her #1 choice. All the texts of: you have it, everyone loves you, the rush team all adores you and all the adds on facebook. She always sat front and center at every party and talked to the exec every time. The texting cont all the way until she was standing at the Lyceum 5 min before bid cards when she got the text. "I don't know what happened you aren't on our list!" Needless to say the day was a bust because the disappointment and shock was just to much to be able to brush off. She also had made the mistake of listening to tenttalk of reputations of the sororities and had rec. a bid to the "party" group. My daughter did not drink and was immediately feeling like she would never fit in. But 4 years later my daughter graduated with highest honors and having held several different offices including new member. (The advisors begged her to be president but her academics came first). After the rocky start she threw her all into her sorority and loved every minute of it as sometimes life's biggest disappoints lead to your biggest successes. Sometimes you turn into momma bear when your child is hurt so I must admit it brought me a little joy when the next year during rush week,we were sitting around talking to a girl who pledged the "dirty" group and she told us this story. " yeah, at rush practice one of the older girls stood up and told us, no matter what you do don't think and text a PNM that she has it and stuff. Last year one of our girls that we rushed hard and told her she had it was not on our bid list on bid day."*All this to say prepare your child for all the things that can happen during rush both good and bad. Never take reputation tent talk seriously and encourage them to stick it out if they don't get their #1 pick. You never know they may end up in the sorority that wins the Chancellor's cup for Best Overall Sorority, 3 out of the 4 years, while they are there and having a blast . Bid day is now a source of smiles and headshaking.*
Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Very wise words from another thread. Special thanks to FSUZeta!
Amen and amen!!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoddy View Post
Rereading all these bumped posts and recruitment stories and a LSU story was my daughters experience at Ole Miss to a T. She knew NO ONE at Ole Miss, we were from out of state and had no connections. She was so devastated on bid day to get her number 2 only because she was so dirty rushed by her #1 choice. All the texts of: you have it, everyone loves you, the rush team all adores you and all the adds on facebook. She always sat front and center at every party and talked to the exec every time. The texting cont all the way until she was standing at the Lyceum 5 min before bid cards when she got the text. "I don't know what happened you aren't on our list!" Needless to say the day was a bust because the disappointment and shock was just to much to be able to brush off. She also had made the mistake of listening to tenttalk of reputations of the sororities and had rec. a bid to the "party" group. My daughter did not drink and was immediately feeling like she would never fit in. But 4 years later my daughter graduated with highest honors and having held several different offices including new member. (The advisors begged her to be president but her academics came first). After the rocky start she threw her all into her sorority and loved every minute of it as sometimes life's biggest disappoints lead to your biggest successes. Sometimes you turn into momma bear when your child is hurt so I must admit it brought me a little joy when the next year during rush week,we were sitting around talking to a girl who pledged the "dirty" group and she told us this story. " yeah, at rush practice one of the older girls stood up and told us, no matter what you do don't think and text a PNM that she has it and stuff. Last year one of our girls that we rushed hard and told her she had it was not on our bid list on bid day."*All this to say prepare your child for all the things that can happen during rush both good and bad. Never take reputation tent talk seriously and encourage them to stick it out if they don't get their #1 pick. You never know they may end up in the sorority that wins the Chancellor's cup for Best Overall Sorority, 3 out of the 4 years, while they are there and having a blast . Bid day is now a source of smiles and headshaking.*
This happens! Last year my daughter was dirty rushed by two groups. She was lucky, she ended up with her first choice, but many of her friends were not so lucky! Lots of tears on bid day because of stories just like yours!

Apparently after pref, the girls are excited it's finally over and the next day will "be like Christmas". The girls started celebrating the night before telling everyone "I'm going to be a so and so". Many were heartbroken the next morning, including my daughters roommate and another very good friend of hers.

PNM's need to keep in mind that ANYTHING can happen between pref and bids being handed out! Be excited, but never assume you are getting you top choice. Go into bid day telling yourself that you will be happy with any bid! Btw, both roommate and friend got over it and now love their sororities!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Important updates to Post #1 in this thread. Link to C.A.R.E. Walk registration added and a link to information about Chapter dues from last year.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Do PNMs register for the C.A.R.E. Walk?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottyToddy1 View Post
Do PNMs register for the C.A.R.E. Walk?
Click on the link in blue that says
Registration for C.A.R.E. Walk -----> Click Here
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

From the NPC facebook page:

The Sorority Life is hosting its first live tweetchat to answer any recruitment questions PNMs may have. Be sure to share this information with anyone you know going through recruitment this fall. Join @TheSororityLife on Twitter on 7/11 @ 11 a.m. EST (10 a.m. CST) to get all your recruitment questions answered by a panel of four expert sorority women. Use hashtag ‪#‎recruitmentQA‬ to join in the conversation.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

MP, are there in-state/OOS stats for last year's Ole Miss freshman class? I believe someone posted Bama's, and I'd be curious about Ole Miss.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
MP, are there in-state/OOS stats for last year's Ole Miss freshman class? I believe someone posted Bama's, and I'd be curious about Ole Miss.
You know, I haven't seen those. Ole Miss doesn't publish very much in the way of stats. Of course Recruitment isn't where I serve so I don't see them personally. Maybe someone else will?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be a PNM at Ole Miss this Fall - can any of you tell me what the dress code is for Greek Day (formerly Ice Water party)? I know, in the past, for Philanthropy party, the PNMs have been given a t-shirt and have worn the shorts of their choosing. I haven't been able to find information on what the girls should wear for Greek Day. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugs&lions3 View Post
My daughter will be a PNM at Ole Miss this Fall - can any of you tell me what the dress code is for Greek Day (formerly Ice Water party)? I know, in the past, for Philanthropy party, the PNMs have been given a t-shirt and have worn the shorts of their choosing. I haven't been able to find information on what the girls should wear for Greek Day. Thank you!
Though I am not sure about the dress code, I will ask some collegians from a chapter there. Have you sent in a legacy form for your daughter and gotten her all the recommendations she may need? There are other Phi Mu legacies going through recruitment this year and I would love to see more legacies join!