GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,275
0 members and 1,275 guests
No Members online

Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I made a 93 on my Music History I paper and an 83 on my Music History III test! Now I just have to worry about the final exams...

Music is a kind and truthful speech, in a language out of mere word's reach.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

That's great, miladyrose! Music history is my favorite part of the major requirements. What are you all studying right now?

I have a final for Basic Conducting on Thursday, and I'm scared to death to conduct my pieces. I have complete faith in my wonderful group, but I've never really conducted an ensemble in my life.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh, good luck on your conducting final, clarinette! When I took conducting, we didn't have an ensemble to conduct for our final…but we did have to conduct our professor one-on-one, and it was Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb.

I'm waiting to hear about graduate school…I got a 433 on my MAT, which is good.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Crossing my fingers for you, unarose!

For this final, I had to pick 5 minutes worth of music to conduct; I'm doing "Mary Speaks" and "Christmas Dance of the Shepherds". I have to conduct Rejoice in the Lamb next semester for Intermediate Conducting.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I got a 29/30 on my conducting final! The whole class adds up to 100 points, so I have a 99 for the semester!

Now, if only my bronchitis would go away. I am so over being ill.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay on your conducting grade—and I hope your bronchitis goes away soon!

In my news…I got my grad school acceptance letter today! (Though technically now it's "yesterday" )

Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats, unarose! I'm sure that's a weight off your shoulders!

Welp, I talked to my mom, and she casually said, "Well, your sister had the bronchitis for 3 weeks." You have got to be kidding me; I have to stay at school and sing in a concert with bronchitis. At least I only have 2 exams and a 3-page paper.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I'm applying to graduate school in the spring. Only one person has completed my letter of recommendation. I asked one in July and one in September and neither has done it yet. Ugh......

I keep telling myself it's fine. There is plenty of time. It's not due until March 1. (BUT IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!)
Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

clarinette — You have my deepest sympathy for having to sing a concert with bronchitis; I have a community choir concert Tuesday evening, actually, so I'm very thankful that I haven't been sick this time like I was right before the one in October. I spent the Sunday before that one taking cough medicine like it was going out of style (every four hours all day), and had my voice doing good for Monday's 'dress' rehearsal/Tuesday's concert and then after the concert I don't think I sang for an entire week because I literally couldn't.

AlwaysSAI — Ooh, good luck with your application! If I may ask, where are you applying/what are you applying for? I think if I had people I had asked months ago to do recommendation letters, I'd be sending them an email every couple of weeks or so just checking in with them and "I don't want to be pushy, but I was just making sure you hadn't forgotten about…"—it's good that your application isn't due until March 1, though. (Just the week in between getting my MAT score and my acceptance drove me kind of crazy. Every day I was like "Has the mail came yet? Did I get anything?" )

Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Well, I did ask 5 people. Only three letters are required but my mom suggested I have a couple "back-ups" just in case someone didn't follow through. And, I thought it was better to ask further in advance. I asked one of my administrators who is in charge of testing (huge job), so I wanted to give her plenty of time.

I'm applying to NC State.

ETA: Two of the recommendations have been submitted!!!! So, I only need one more! I just have two more things to figure out: How to upload two separate documents as one document. And, if everything is submitted online, why are they requesting that I have ETS send them my GRE scores?

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 12-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for only needing one more! As for them requesting to have ETS send your GRE score…the only thing I can think is they want an official verification? I just know when I took the MAT, before the test started I selected where I wanted them to send my scores—and I could have done up to three total, if I had been considering any others.

On a totally new subject, I helped my mom put our Christmas tree up this evening, and then I decided to get the plain glass ball ornaments that I've had for ages and paint an ornament or two—and I thought I'd share one of them with you guys, since it's very fitting. The 'front' is the one with the letters, the 'back' is the other one. I'm thinking about getting my mom to bake it in the oven after she paints her own ornaments.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

That's cute, unarose! Very nice.
I hope your application goofiness resolves itself, AlwaysSAI. That's never fun to deal with.

I have so many wills. I was typing up the stuff I got this semester (because we're expected to give the histories with the stuff we will to the younger sisters), and

A) I realized I'm a junior, and I only have 2 more wills at most before I'm up there.
B) I have so many wonderful nice things. Like the Mickey mouse letters that I got freshman year that I'll have to will on.

Now I gotta go give my stats final a roundhouse kick to the chest. Wish me luck.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

So, I really shouldn't have left the silver thingy in last night…I tried to take it out a little bit ago and the ornament broke. I'm doing another one in white (mainly because I don't have enough red paint left), but I had another red one I started last night also, so it'll be fine. And at least I got some nice pictures of it.

The wills thing sounds awesome, clarinette—has that been a tradition as long as the chapter has been around?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't really know. I know it's been around at least 15 years, because there are wills that old. We don't normally do pictures at wills, so they wouldn't be in scrapbooks.

Basically, the idea is that all the graduating seniors will away everything but their favorite letters things that they made to the rest of the chapter, so we still have memories of them, and it's a way to connect the chapter.

Some seniors have a lot of stuff, like 2 huge Rubbermaid containers worth. It's always exciting to see who gets what.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Wills sounds very similar to senior pass-downs, which some chapters do, as well.

My chapter didn't do either, but I wish we had. It would be an awesome way to say goodbye.