GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,175
1 members and 1,174 guests
zkaylgooglet196

Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two girls that I am really close to that are rushing at Bama. Both of them received a full schedule of 11 parties. One of the girls received invitations from all but one, the other girl received all but three. So far, so good in Ttown!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

so how heavy should we expect the cuts to be for the next round?

11==>?
9 ==>?
7 ==>?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

They can go back to 7 skits at most.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=BSCAXOalum;1966696]Well, I was going to hold out posting but I think I need moral support. Lost my old username so I registered. Have two PNMs in my life rushing--one at Bama, one at AU. The Bama PNM is a dear friend and the Auburn PNM is a cousin. Auburn PNM seems to be doing well. Bama PNM was only invited back to 4 today. She's handling it well but there's not much room for more cuts. I've had the "only takes one," "they're all good," talk to try to offer support. I think she's disappointed but I think she's realistic as well. Not great grades but should have met the cutoff on most. Will keep you all posted and am so proud of the other PNMs--it's a tough week!!!![/QUOTE

sending you crossed fingers and moral support. how lucky she has you to help her through it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Tuuthfairy;1966780][QUOTE=BSCAXOalum;1966696]Well, I was going to hold out posting but I think I need moral support. Lost my old username so I registered. Have two PNMs in my life rushing--one at Bama, one at AU. The Bama PNM is a dear friend and the Auburn PNM is a cousin. Auburn PNM seems to be doing well. Bama PNM was only invited back to 4 today. She's handling it well but there's not much room for more cuts. I've had the "only takes one," "they're all good," talk to try to offer support. I think she's disappointed but I think she's realistic as well. Not great grades but should have met the cutoff on most. Will keep you all posted and am so proud of the other PNMs--it's a tough week!!!![/QUOTE

Oh that is really hard for your Bama girl. As you mentioned it is likely based on GPA this early. Did she have recs to all the houses? Around 1640 went through ice water teas Monday and Tuesday and those numbers are so huge that cuts are just going to happen. I hope she has a good day today and tomorrow and she has an enjoyable skit day. I'm sure you are doing a great job keeping her spirits up. Just remind her not to "tent talk" about her parties, etc. etc. Keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewozowski View Post
so how heavy should we expect the cuts to be for the next round?

11==>?
9 ==>?
7 ==>?
Cuts are extremely heavy after Philanthropy Days - this is when many "courtesy return invites" will be cut. The girls go from a Maximum of 11 parties to a Maximum of 7 returns to Skit to a Maximum of 3 Pref parties. So, they will get their Skit day lists Friday morning and this will be narrowed down considerably. My daughter went through last year, and I so well remember sitting by the phone waiting for her messages. It MAY be harder on the Mommas!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

From an unbiased perspective, What are some pros AND cons about being in a sorority. I know you make friends, help the community, attend events, etc... list any non-obvious pros. And I would love to know some CONS!

I spoke with a friend today and asked if she would ever think about rushing and she said no, because she didnt want someone bossing her around and telling her where to be and at what time. And also she didn't want people telling her what to wear. Is this true in a sorority?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

i understand that the max is 7, so the 11 party girl will probably just go down to 7.

what about the girl who only had 7 or 8 parties for today and tomorrow. how many would she likely be invited to for the next round? 3? 4?

i haven't followed this in the past, so i have no idea what the norm is.

what is a courtesy return invite?

Last edited by mikewozowski; 08-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Bama.mom, she had some recs but I don't think she took that seriously enough. Again, I didn't get ahold of the situation until about a month ago and she was scurrying to get everything. But there's only so much you can do/say. She just didn't know what to expect but hopefully she can salvage something.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i understand that the max is 7, so the 11 party girl will probably just go down to 7.

what about the girl who only had 7 or 8 parties for today and tomorrow. how many would she likely be invited to for the next round? 3? 4?

A courtesy return invite is an invitation that might be extended to a girl because her mother or sister is in the group or maybe other relationships to members in the group. Some groups policies require certain girls to be invited to at least one invitational round, which here would be philanthropy. After that, the group may release her if they aren't really interested in offering her membership.

I don't think there's any formula you can use to guess about invites from round to round because groups make their big releases at different rounds. It's possible that a girl with only four invites could be invited back to all four* for the rest of recruitment. Or it's also possible that as those four groups make releases, she could gradually be cut over time. The best plan is just to see it through and try to like the places you are invited back to.

*ETA: well I mean those four might not cut her; she could only get invites to the maximum number of pref parties which is fewer than four. sorry.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The thing is, there really is not a "norm". She should get back invitations to skit, but it could be to her top houses or bottom houses or some combo in between. The sororities make their cuts as do the PNMs. It is definitely a put your best foot forward, keep smiling, and be confident kind of week. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard earlier this afternoon from my aunt that my cousin's daughter got 11 invitations back for Philanthropy Day :-) She's having so much fun & other than sore feet she had no complaints. I think all PNM's are actually getting use to the terrible T-town heat. I've been told they have plenty of water available & that's good because we didn't have any back in my day & it was sweltering!!

Good Luck to the PNM's & those mama's...please keep us posted...I just love reading how everyone is doing & look forward to hearing happy Bid Day stories!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

please keep us updated about your cousin's daughter, too!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard from one of my girls and she had a great day. She is aware that big cuts come after this round, so she is trying to find several that she could see herself in and not putting her eggs in one basket. She is most concerned about her roommate, who only received 5 invitations back and is terribly upset.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missblonde View Post
From an unbiased perspective, What are some pros AND cons about being in a sorority. I know you make friends, help the community, attend events, etc... list any non-obvious pros. And I would love to know some CONS!

I spoke with a friend today and asked if she would ever think about rushing and she said no, because she didnt want someone bossing her around and telling her where to be and at what time. And also she didn't want people telling her what to wear. Is this true in a sorority?

Good Lord, I hope she never gets a job in the real world or she is in trouble with these types of issues.

With regard to a sorority, I prefer not to answer because I think you are not legit...