GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,500
0 members and 1,500 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
it IS beautiful. and HUGE!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

so how did he propose?!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I didnt want a big ring. I have small fingers and a big rings looks gaudy on my hand and looks crappy. I let the hubby pick it out.

He went to Zales and they talked him into the Zales Diamond Collection. He ended up picking this one.

Its is a 1 carat round diamond on a platinum band with the little Zales diamond on the inside of the ring to signify the collection. Its gorgeous. Not too big and just so pretty. I cried when I saw it and that he picked it out on his own. I kind of wish he would have just got a regular certified one cause it would have saved him A LOT of money, but he said, hey its the only one Ill ever buy so Im greatful that he was so sweet and loving about it. Plus I LOVE platinum. It is the hardest metal to break and it looks amazing. It didnt really matter though. It was the thought that counts to me. I am not selfish and it was just wonderful he did it all for me. Plus the way he proposed was the best ever........
Old 07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

ADPiShannan - I LOVE your band. That's the one thing I that worries me, mine is a really thin band. And it's platinum, too, and I have heard you shouldn't get them buffed too often (like maybe once every 10 years) b/c it actually wears a layer off every time.

And I don't think my ring is that big. The center is 1.5 and the baguettes aren't that much. And I don't say that to be snotty! I just mean, I think the picture and the setting make it look bigger than it is. And I also live in the NYC metro area. Trust me, here, it's on the small side of average. It's all relative, I guess. Women walk around here with rocks the size of small islands! Cream can back me up on that, right!!!

Speaking of small islands, that where my guy proposed to me. He took me on a trip to his hometown of Ponce, Puerto Rico, to meet his family. He asked me in the moonlight the first night, on a sundeck by the hotel pool (the beach was closed!!!).
Old 07-14-2004, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't mean to insult you, Kathy -- you gotta admit though it's larger than life in the picture! But you're right, I think that's a nice size -- not showy at all.

Shannan, your ring is something I'd LOVE for myself. Very much my style... simple and classy and platinum! Where's the diamond on the inside? Someone showed a picture w/ a blue diamond (I think) on the bottom of the ring... I liked that b/c it was so different.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, no! No insult taken! It's just hard when you talk about this stuff sometimes - especially over an internet message board. It's more that I don't want people think I'm walking around thinking I'm all that over my 'bling'!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Backing Kathy up...

Some people do have BIG diamond rings in NYC. I saw someone with a diamond the size of a nickel on her ring finger. My friend guessed that it was 10 karats, but she's no expert.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Thumbs up

Kathy, I am loving the bling baby!

Ya know the "huge" thing is all relative. Some areas, 1 carat is a nice respectable size and in some places 1 carat is "damn what a rock!"

Personally, I don't think my ring is that big, but I have had some people comment on it (I work in NW Washington) and it is not as big as Kathy's gorgeous pet rock!

It's all good.
I have seen some pretty rings on this thread
Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone opted not to go for a diamond solitaire?

Emeralds are much more meaningful to us, and we're really concerned about buying "conflict diamonds." I was thinking one large emerald-cut emerald flanked by two smaller, certified cruelty-free diamonds.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03

Emeralds are much more meaningful to us, and we're really concerned about buying "conflict diamonds." I was thinking one large emerald-cut emerald flanked by two smaller, certified cruelty-free diamonds.
Yes.

Personally, I don't see the point of an engagement ring at all, but I find the idea of wearing a diamond especially distasteful after learning about the DeBeers evil empire and the cruelty involved in diamond mining.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03

I personally like emeralds. Sapphires are nice, too. I'm also concerned about diamonds from war-torn countries and cartels, etc.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsCongeniality3 Send a message via Yahoo to MsCongeniality3
Someday I would like a sapphire engagement ring...
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I honesty would love a 3 stone ring. 2 Sapphires around a diamond.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

ON my ring inside it says The Zales and then there is a small diamond after that to say the zales diamond. Its a exclusive to the store I guess. Its a very cute idea and unique. I also would have loved to get something diff maybe a ruby, my birth stone in the center and two diamonds on each side, but I didnt want to tell my hubby what to get, I wanted it to be a surprise and get what he wanted me to have. I know a girl who told her fiancee she wouldnt marry him ever unless it was the EXACT ring and then she went and had it appraised to make sure.

Heres my wedding band and my hubbys. He hates frills lol so I just got him a platinum band and I got this diamond band in platinum.

Kathy I love your ring. Its gorgeous. As for my rings. I love Zales. Now that the hubby picked my engagement ring out there, we went back and got our wedding rings from there too. If anyone wants to check their site out its www.zales.com

Old 07-15-2004, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiShannan
ON my ring inside it says The Zales and then there is a small diamond after that to say the zales diamond.
There's a diamond INSIDE your ring? Doesn't it scratch or anything? They don't get to add that to the TCW do they (I hope not!)???