GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,329
0 members and 2,329 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2006, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Duchovnysfan Send a message via Skype™ to Duchovnysfan
It was during Philanthropy Day and and this one house we went to we made cool beads and such. Anyway, I was talking to the first girl (you know the one who pretty much guides you when you get into the party) so we introduced ourselves and to make sure I didn't forget her name, I kept saying it everytime I made a comment, like "oh that's really great *name*" and "So *name* what made you decide to join this sorority" and so on. We had a really great conversation and in the middle I stopped using her name b/c I said it enough to remember or so I thought. Towards the tail end, *she had a name tag on*, of the convo, I had a complete brain freeze and asked ,"What's your name again?" oops! I completely forgot and apologized profusely for that. She was really nice about it and still talked to me a little more before she switched off with someone else. The next day I got my invites and found that that particular house didn't invite me back, I was a little shocked at the time but in retrospect I believe it was because I had a memory lapse and forgot her name. *facepalm*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
From what I remember:

- I took a napkin erroneously from one house.

- I accidentally spit a little while talking in another house.

- I tripped and fell on the steps of a third house.

More likely than not, I talked about things that I probably should not have mentioned. I was very socially awkward back then- this was 10 years ago when I rushed.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 07-24-2006, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamGirlAY
On bid day, the rushees jumped off a low stage after announcing who they got their bid from...I screamed "Make some noise Alpha Gamma Delta, I'm yours!"

But the funny thing is, where I thought I "messed up" was in fact at the sorority I am a part of. The first day of Rush I tripped over an active's legs passing by on my way into a room. I joked that "boy that'll make you guys cut me" and we all laughed and the girl (now my sister) was like, "don't worry, we're all klutzy here."
Oh my you're funny!

I'm an Alpha Gam too... I literally rolled down the stairs in our house when i fell and I have another funny falling down stairs story. I think we're all just a great group of gals...
Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

At my university, there are 17 NPC sororites - so I have LOTS of great stories as to why I may or may not have been cut from certain ones!

I was at sorority ABC during their philanthropy round, and we were making these glittery star things. So, I was talking to the active, and I placed my elbow on the table - directly into a pile of glue. I also somehow managed to stick my gluey elbow into the glitter and stars. I continued to have a conversation with this active while my elbow is dripping with glue and stars. I didn't notice this until about 15 minutes later. She absolutely had to have noticed, but she probably found it too funny and didn't tell me. In this same conversation she had commented on how cute my star was, and to that I replied ( I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm just sarcastic sometimes) ... "oh yeah.. haha, do you ever actually tell anyone if theirs is ugly?"

My other fun getting cut story. And I KNOW this is why I got cut. My aunt was an XYZ at the same university that I attend. However, I was at sorority DEF's second round party (also the house my mother was in). We're talking about places we live on campus (at my school it's popular to live off campus - we don't have houses), and the girl mentions the house she lives in. It's the same house my aunt lived in - 25 years ago! I'm excited, so I tell her how my aunt lived there. She also gets excited and tells another active, "Oh her aunt lived in my house!" Apparently it's a DEF passdown - and like 9 DEF's live in this house. So she asks me if my aunt was a DEF. I told her no, she wasn't, she was an XYZ (in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have brought up the other sorority). Well, this girl flips out, and says, no - only DEF's live in that house. I calmly explain that my aunt went here 25 years ago, so things could have changed. She stares me down and says, no, only DEF's live in that house. If you're aunt lived in that house she had to have been a DEF or she didn't live there. At this point, I just figured I'm not going to win the battle. Needless to say, our conversation was pretty terse after that.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul
And I said, "you know, I come from a town with a lot of different ethnicities, and a lot of people believe that having owls or pictures of owls is a death omen".

Cue pin drop.

That sounds like a scene from a movie! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Around the time recruitment was going on, news had spread around the city that there was a bus stop slasher going around. During one of the parties, "the slasher" had come up in a conversation and coincidentally a friend of mine witnessed the crime at the bus stop across the street from his house. so I mentioned my friends account of it, and a bigger crowd of girls were gathering to listen. At the end of the party I felt that everything had gone well, and before leaving I said something along the lines of, "bye, watch out for that slasher."

haha... i guess that house found what i said really creepy because i definitely wasn't invited back. lol.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I was at a party at one house that (rightfully) had the repuation of being...er... a little stuck up. I was trying to be on my best behavior and come off as cute and fun but still prim and propper. I was talking to a girl that had the personality of a fruitbat so I was desperatly searching for conversation when another girl came out and handed me a cup of lemonade and a cookie. I didn't want to eat the cookie (because then I might accidently talk with food in my mouth and that would be inappropriate) so I was just holding it. Well I guess I was just focusing too much on making small talk and not holding the cookie because it just slipped out of my hand and fell. They must have made the cookies in June and froze them over the summer because it was like a brick. It hit the floor and shattered into millions of pieces launching cookie shrapnel across the room. All the actives that saw it, including the one who I had been talking to, gave me this look like I was a bucket of manure that happened to find my way into their house. Most of the PNMs just laughed but I knew at that minute that I would be cut and honestly I didn't care at all!

Last edited by Regina Filangie; 08-09-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

This has nothing to do with being cut, but I'm not sure if I've shared this pre-recruitment story before.

Ok, so this happened about a decade ago. This was in the days before cell phones were in common use, before AIM, and before GC! (gasp!)

I walking through my on-campus apartment. You know-- dorm style living with a kitchenette, private room, living room and those fabulous cinder block walls (the walls are vital to the retelling of the story). Sorority Recruitment was starting the next day.

Now, I've never been especially graceful on my feet, but I managed to walk into a wall-- one of those fantastic cinderblock walls. I don't know what happened-- I just missed the door. I heard a crack-- it wasn't the wall, but the sound of my nose and a trickle of blood began to run down my face!!!

I grabbed my Zach Morris-sized cordless phone and dialed my friend, Andrew. "My nose is bleeding and sorority recruitment starts tomorrow! No one is going to want me to be their sister if I have a big bruised nose! I think my nose is broken!"

"Oh my gosh! Do you want me to come over and take you to the hospital? What happened?"

"I WALKED INTO A WALL!"

"No really! What happened?"

Thankfully, my nose wasn't broken, I got my first choice bid to ADPi and hooked Andrew up with one of my sorority sisters... They will celebrate their 5 year wedding anniversary this spring.

All's well that ends well. I've still been known to trip over my own feet. And I'm a little wary when I'm in a dorm....
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter would call after next day and she would tell me which ones she expected to be cut from......looking back some are pretty petty and silly!
1. She was sick and couldn't be outgoing enough.
2. The girl that talked to her hated her sorority sister that was from the same high school my daughter went to.....the active could only ask questions about her sorority sister. later we found out she lied about her to get her cut.
3. Weren't from the right zip code.
Of course there were those that were kind, gracious and compassionate too!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
This has nothing to do with being cut, but I'm not sure if I've shared this pre-recruitment story before.

Ok, so this happened about a decade ago. This was in the days before cell phones were in common use, before AIM, and before GC! (gasp!)

I walking through my on-campus apartment. You know-- dorm style living with a kitchenette, private room, living room and those fabulous cinder block walls (the walls are vital to the retelling of the story). Sorority Recruitment was starting the next day.

Now, I've never been especially graceful on my feet, but I managed to walk into a wall-- one of those fantastic cinderblock walls. I don't know what happened-- I just missed the door. I heard a crack-- it wasn't the wall, but the sound of my nose and a trickle of blood began to run down my face!!!

I grabbed my Zach Morris-sized cordless phone and dialed my friend, Andrew. "My nose is bleeding and sorority recruitment starts tomorrow! No one is going to want me to be their sister if I have a big bruised nose! I think my nose is broken!"

"Oh my gosh! Do you want me to come over and take you to the hospital? What happened?"

"I WALKED INTO A WALL!"

"No really! What happened?"

Thankfully, my nose wasn't broken, I got my first choice bid to ADPi and hooked Andrew up with one of my sorority sisters... They will celebrate their 5 year wedding anniversary this spring.

All's well that ends well. I've still been known to trip over my own feet. And I'm a little wary when I'm in a dorm....
OMIGOSH! I'm so glad you didn't break your nose! [hijack] I was once staying in a hotel for work, and took cold medication before I went to bed. Which meant, of course, I had to use the bathroom several times that night. The last time, I was so drowsy, and not having my contacts in, walked into the wall, and fractured my orbital bone! I just packed my eyes in ice and went back to bed - I didn't find out about the actual break until my next eye appointment. It was the biggest reason I pushed so hard for LASIK!! [/hijack]
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Ages ago

This is one of those "no-no's" that worked out right. My sister went to three pref nights at the Univ. of Iowa and was heavily leaning toward one sorority, but she wasn't entirely certain. As she was leaving one of the other two, she overheard one member say to another: I am so tired and ready for this all to be over. One of those things we were drilled not to ever let a PNM hear or even think that you are not enjoying recruitment-- However, the comment was exactly what my exhausted sister was feeling and it swayed her to choose that house!! The advice I wish I had listened to was remember to check out the other PNMs-- those returning to the same houses you do could potentially be your sisters-- if you feel uncomfortable with them ....
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bamagphibgirlie
Um before rush and stuff during the summer I edited my facebook to ensure that it looked nice and they were no incriminating phrases and things. However under favorite movies I put Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I dont know but I think alot of people look at that and are like wtf? o that and in the Phi Mu house on Philanthropy day i had to twist my waist like 180 degrees so i could see the video screen behind me anywho, their philanthropy is childrens miracle network so they were showing all these pictures of really cute little sick kids while playing that song"angels among us" anywho I totally started bawling so when the movie stopped and i was still in that state I believe I snapped back around and hit a rusher like in the side of the head with my elbow! Definately not graceful at all.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagphibgirlie
Um before rush and stuff during the summer I edited my facebook to ensure that it looked nice and they were no incriminating phrases and things. However under favorite movies I put Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I dont know but I think alot of people look at that and are like wtf?
I know lots of guys who would love you forever because of that.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I know lots of guys who would love you forever because of that.

Heck, I would love her because of that. It's one of those things that you "get it" or you don't. Oh, and a margarita helps with that too.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my Sigma Kappa sisters who was a Pi Chi told me this story. She was standing at the door of another sorority house at the end of their pref party. That chapter did the 'throw the (flower/pearl/key/etc) into the fountain and make a wish', and one of the sisters of that chapter told her PNM, "I hope your wish is the same as mine." The PNM waited until the sister was out of earshot, then turned to another girl in her rush group and said, "Only if your wish is for me to join Sigma Kappa!" Our Pi Chi about died laughing. That PNM is now one of my sisters!

And I forgot to include my own story - I was in one of the more 'proper' houses on our campus. We were using paint pens during their craft, and the other PNM in the room broke her orange paint pen all over her light blue pants and the carpet of the rusher's room. She and I both laughed (come on, I'm only human, and it was darn funny), and we were both dropped.

Last edited by SigKapSweetie; 10-23-2006 at 02:25 PM.