GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 936
1 members and 935 guests
Craigwex

Old 05-17-2004, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by James
But Russ, individual situations have to be considered, especially with laws that are supposed to regulate purely social relationships.
She was 12. There is working around that. As for her potential sexual history, I thought that its difficult to get that admitted into court as evidence.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2004, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
She was 12. There is working around that. As for her potential sexual history, I thought that its difficult to get that admitted into court as evidence.
Yep. The law says that no matter the circumstances, a 12 year old can not consent to sex. Nonconsensual sex is either classified as assualt, rape, or molestation, depending on the circumstances.
I'm not saying "castrate the bastard and keep his nuts in a jar" but I am saying that 10 days is too much a light slap on the wrist. Any 20 year old that would have sex w/ a 12 year old has issues. I'd much rather see court mandated therapy for him.
And it usually is (and should be) hard to admit the victim/plantiff's sexual history in court. It shouldn't matter if the victim was the girl next door or a prostitute, rape is rape and should be prosecuted.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I work with this age-group. Yes, their hormones are raging (that's nothing new). However, it is just wrong for an adult to have sex with a child. A 12 year old is still in elementary school. WRONG!!!
Just because they are physically prepared to have sex, does not mean they are mentally ready. I'm sorry, a 12 year old girl (I don't care HOW mature she is) is not capable of dealing with the consequences associated with having sex.

Yes, something's are Black and White. This is one of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
We aren't arguing that something was wrong. We are arguing with the sentence. I think getting the shit kicked out of him might have been a lot more educational than probation or even incarceration.

Quote:
Originally posted by abaici
I work with this age-group. Yes, their hormones are raging (that's nothing new). However, it is just wrong for an adult to have sex with a child. A 12 year old is still in elementary school. WRONG!!!
Just because they are physically prepared to have sex, does not mean they are mentally ready. I'm sorry, a 12 year old girl (I don't care HOW mature she is) is not capable of dealing with the consequences associated with having sex.

Yes, something's are Black and White. This is one of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We aren't arguing that something was wrong. We are arguing with the sentence. I think getting the shit kicked out of him might have been a lot more educational than probation or even incarceration.
I think the fact that he is a registered sex offender, which will follow him around for the rest of his life--he will not even be able to move into an area without his future neighbors' knowlegde, is a very reasonable punishment.

Had the girl been a little older, you could use the argument that it wasn't completely black and white. A 15 year old he had been dating for a while, who was about to turn 16--yes, I would be a little wary of giving him any major punishment. But, this was a 12 year old. Wrong wrong wrong.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
Yep. The law says that no matter the circumstances, a 12 year old can not consent to sex. Nonconsensual sex is either classified as assualt, rape, or molestation, depending on the circumstances.
I'm not saying "castrate the bastard and keep his nuts in a jar" but I am saying that 10 days is too much a light slap on the wrist. Any 20 year old that would have sex w/ a 12 year old has issues. I'd much rather see court mandated therapy for him.
And it usually is (and should be) hard to admit the victim/plantiff's sexual history in court. It shouldn't matter if the victim was the girl next door or a prostitute, rape is rape and should be prosecuted.
I just finished a semester long course on Abnormal Psychology of Children and Adolescents, and the last section was on abuse...so please be patient with me.

Perhaps the girl (and other teens and preteens that are using drugs, drinking and having sex so early) should get therapy too. There are reasons these kids are behaving this way. This isn't accurate for all situations, but MANY young girls/teens that act out like this, are doing so as a result of abuse/neglect/assault. Maybe she has had multiple partners but she is still a victim at 12, and blaming the victim isn't right, she needs help.

Also I know there have been media campaigns to educate young men 18-25 about the dangers of sleeping with underagers and statutory rape. He is the legal adult and should have checked her ID, talked with her parent, something, to protect himself from being a registered sex offender the rest of his life.

When it comes to a legal adult, and a preteen, even if she wanted to, and had done it before, it is a power relationship and is always wrong. 10 days is not nearly enough time, when there are other men put away for eyars, for being with someone a year younger. A 12 year old, that is just disgusting.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

wow.....this is ridiculous, this guy gets 20 days...and marcus dixon gets 15 years. what the hell is going on? talk about SEVERE injustice.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. Its part of the feminization of America that we react Viscerally vs. logically.

OMG, look what he DID! He should be KILLED!

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
wow.....this is ridiculous, this guy gets 20 days...and marcus dixon gets 15 years. what the hell is going on? talk about SEVERE injustice.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree. Its part of the feminization of America that we react Viscerally vs. logically.

OMG, look what he DID! He should be KILLED!
nah, not really...because i think that marcus dixon is a victim of injustice.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

As the thread turns...

Starang...As the great sage of our day JLo said, "Ain't it Funny"

@ James

I believe in working within our judicial system. Therefore, a good ole fashioned ass whopping would not be in order. He deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 10 days was a slap on the wrist.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As the thread turns...

Starang...As the great sage of our day JLo said, "Ain't it Funny"

@ James

I believe in working within our judicial system. Therefore, a good ole fashioned ass whopping would not be in order. He deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 10 days was a slap on the wrist.
ain't it, though. talk about perspective here. which is worse, 12 vs. 20, or 15 and 18? because if you're thinking the former.....the sentencing differential has to be the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen. talk about taking a young, promising man's dream away.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

A boy was given sentenced to 8 years in prison becaue his girlfriend was 4 years and 10 days younger than him. 18 and 14 respectively.

4 years is the cut off time. So that 10 day difference did him in. They were in a normal consensual relationship but the parents didn't like him, because the daughter refused to stop seeing him, the pressed charges thinking it would scare him away, not realizing that once the law took over it would be very serious.

The parents even stood up in court and said they never intended this.

The sentencing judge tried to give him 4 years instead of 8, saying 8 was cruel and unusual punishment, but the prosecutor appealed wanting the full sentence carried out.

I guess that would satisfy some of the responders on this thread.

Quote:
ain't it, though. talk about perspective here. which is worse, 12 vs. 20, or 15 and 18? because if you're thinking the former.....the sentencing differential has to be the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen. talk about taking a young, promising man's dream away.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Yeah, 10 days was a slap on the wrist.
10 days isn't a jail sentence. Its about how much time I need in bed after a wicked bad hangover.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
10 days isn't a jail sentence. Its about how much time I need in bed after a wicked bad hangover.
damn, 10 days huh? whatchu drinking on?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
damn, 10 days huh? whatchu drinking on?
Tequila and Jagermeister drunk to near alcohol poisening can do just that.