GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,195
2 members and 1,193 guests
babobygooglet93, madisondark6619

Old 07-21-2003, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
I'm so jealous! I wish we got to do all this for rush. We only do informal so no one pays attention to clothes! lol I can't imagine the looks on my chapter's faces if I had tried to make them dress to guidelines for rush lol they'd have killed me! still...it would be fun
You and me both - but I love this thread! I really hope my grad school is by a big chapter with formal recruitment so I get to see more of it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

This is what I'll be wearing:

Open Houses: For the first day of Open Houses, I'm going to wear a nice blue khaki skirt with a grey shirt with either flip flops or a pair of slides. The second day of Open Houses I'll probably wear a khaki skirt and a white t-shirt with my slides.

First Rounds: On both days of first rounds I'm going to wear sundresses, colors unknown until I buy them with my black slides

Second Rounds: First day of second rounds I'll probably wear my nice black skirt with one of my sleeveless dressy shirts. Second day, unknown for now. I'll wear my dressier thinner heel sandals for this round.

Preference Night: I'll wear my black dress I bought from Old Navy for a wedding. It has a ruffle at the bottom, no sleeves. It comes to the knees standing up and it shows only a little boob action which is great because I have a nice-sized chest and many dresses don't cover up enough of my boobs for my comfort. I'll wear my stilettos from Second Rounds for Pref unless I buy this pair of strappy sandals I've been looking at in Vicky's Secret with either a pair of diamond studs or my pearl necklace.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

This is what our chapter will be wearing:

Round One (Skit Night): Black tops with khaki skirts or khaki capris

Round Two (Philanthropy/House Tour Night): Baby blue tops with black pants

Pref: Black semi-formal/cocktail dresses
Old 07-21-2003, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

you all sound wonderful...
the looks sound great.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

YAY, what a fun thread! Okay for my chapter it goes like this:

Set 1 (which lasts two days): We are all wearing denim shorts from either old navy or the gap and our Panhel shirt (which is orange this year). Then we are wearing white platform sneakers (like the stacked soul Jack Purcells) below the ankle socks so you can't see them.

Set 2 (Philanthropy Day): Baby blue polo shirts that have Alpha Chi Omega embrodiered on the chest in navy blue with a khaki skirt either from Old Navy or from American Eagle (I have this one and I am in love with it!) with black medium sized flip flops. Medium meaning no platforms like Rocketdogs, but nothing really thin. Examples are like the classic Reef sandel, or the JCrew wedge flip flop.

Set 3 (Skit Day/House Tours): Everyone not in the skit is wearing jean capris from Old Navy or the Gap and the white sneakers again. A red shirt that says "Always Alpha Chi" (our theme for that day!) in the Coca Cola logo. Now I'm in the skit and I am a 50's girl so I get to wear a red poodle skirt with a white button down shirt!

Pref Night: Black cocktail dress. Not longer than knee length. Nothing strapless or too revealing. No glitter or embroidery, just plain. And black dress shoes you want.

Bid Day: Some shirt which I haven't heard about yet though it is sure to be cute! And whatever you wore to class that day as this is the second day of classes.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:49 PM

I heart this thread (thanks chloe173) but I feel like we have to start like 6 threads on hockey to make it up to the guys.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

a little spin

Ok so I'm wondering what all the alumnae are wearing if they are planning on helping out during Recruitment this year? I haven't decided yet, so gimme some ideas!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: a little spin

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiMuNursie
Ok so I'm wondering what all the alumnae are wearing if they are planning on helping out during Recruitment this year? I haven't decided yet, so gimme some ideas!
I am not sure - the chapter I am helping at most of the time has a pretty laid-back recruitment (they are like mine in that they are the only NPC on campus) so I will probably just wear jeans and a cute sweater, or black pants and a nice top.

I'm going back to my chapter for the last two nights (hopefully, as long as I don't have an exam on the Thursday of pref) and the first night I'm going back to is Body, Soul, and Fondue night - I'll be making the food in the kitchen. (Scary, eh?) I'm probably just going to wear a letters shirt and jeans and of course flip-flops so I can be made pretty. At pref I'm going to be the "hostess" of sorts - helping girls sign in and directing our waiters - we have SigEp waiter for us* and so I'll be in charge of them.

*No this is not violating NPC agreements as they do not speak to the PNMs and we have no other NPC chapters, thus no formal recruitment.

ETA: For Pref I'll be wearing the same thing as the actives, since I will also be doing the ceremony - so black nylons , black strappy heels, and one of my many black dresses - my two favorites are strapless and last winter I wore one with a cardigan, but it might be too hot for that in September.

Last edited by GeekyPenguin; 07-22-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:53 PM

Way for me to be the only PNM who responds to this thread!

Rush at my school is BEYOND laid back (an open recruitment night, 2 invite nights, then pref) so I just plan on wearing outfits made from combinations the following clothing:

-Brown Rampage Suit Jacket
-Brown Rampage Suit Pants
(Yeah, it's a suit but I don't like the way they look together)
-White, Kelly Green, and Royal Blue Ralph Lauren 3/4 sleeve Button Down shirts
-Black Tommy Hilfiger Suit Jacket
-Black Tommy Hilfiger Skirt
(I might wear this suit together...I'm not sure yet, they look good apart too)
-Black Gap Dress Pants
-Baby Pink Old Navy Wrapped-Ballerina-style 3/4 sleeve sweater
-Khaki ankle-length JCrew Pants w/ tiny green turtles embroidered all over (soooo cute I love these pants)
-spaghetti strapped tank top (universal wear for under other shirts) one black, one white
-Deep Purple Lace tank top (looks good w/ the black tank top underneath)
-Old Navy Ribbed Black tank top w/ collar
-Red Polo Dress (Think Lacoste style)

As for jewelry- I wear tiny silver hoops, an artsy silver swirly bangle, a tiffany style toggle heart bracelet & matching style necklace (but the charm on the necklace is a star not a heart) and a ring on both of my ring fingers, left thumb, and right index finger.

I wear simple make-up (concealer where needed, mascara, light blush, a tiny bit of eyeliner, and chapstick)...if I'm feeling particularly giddy I have subtle shimmery accent powder I'll dot on my cheekbones for a bit of definition...

shoes: steve madden black strappy wedgey sandals, steve madden black flip flops, brown mules, red old navy flip flops, off white macrame flip flops

I'm not a bright color type of person so yeah, most of the stuff here is very muted and dark....

If anything sounds EXTREMELY inappropriate please tell me!!!!

-Sarah
Old 07-25-2003, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sarah, the only thing I could see wrong with yours is that the suits might be too dressy - I would just look around to see what sorority women on the campus are wearing and go based off that.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Sarah, I might also add that if you have DZ on your campus they use turtles a lot as one of their nation symbols...so if you wear the turtle pants be careful...other groups might think you are already decided...
Old 07-25-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Steve Madden shoes? Required? Not that they're not adorable, but if that's a requirement of membership, that does price PNMs out of joining.

My favorite rushee apparel story ... this girl came to third party in jeans and a t-shirt, and not even a cute nice one. She said she wouldn't dress up for sorority events, because she didn't think it was worth it - but she would if we had XYZ sorority on our campus! Needless to say, she was not invited back to pref, and she didn't join anywhere.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering about the brands thing also, like do all the sisters go and buy Ralph Lauren collared shirts? can you use a knock off? buying stuff like that for rush every year would (while undeniably making my chapter look soooo cute) break my bank. I mean if you guys can afford it, go for it, but is it ever a problem?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It's so funny how things vary from school to school. When I lived in, we didn't have to have matching stuff in our rooms, but over the years, our chapter has evolved to the point to where the roomies like to have a matching room, and they plan it out over the summer.

As for alumnae attire for alums assisting with collegiate recruitment-- when I assisted with recruitment if I was in the front serving water, etc., I was prior given a list of what the girls were wearing, and asked to match (ie: if the girls were wearing baseball tees and denim capris, I could wear a baseball tee or 3/4 length shirt and denim bottoms of my choice; if the girls were wearing pref attire, I was asked to dress in pin attire, preferably all black.). If I was doing behind the scenes work, there was no dress code, usually something comfy.

The safest bet if you are a PNM going through recruitment: look your personal best and if you consider an outfit questionable-- either too casual or too "revealing," leave it in your closet. You're not going to offend anyone by wearing those clothes, but you won't be dressed to suit the occasion, either. This isn't a beauty pageant or a competition, but looking your personal best makes you feel better and when you feel your best, it shows. As some other sisters at GC have recommended-- a fun coversation piece like a unique pendant or bracelet helps as a conversation point, sometimes. Of course, remember that it's not what you wear, but who you are that makes you the most memorable So make a laundry list of all the wonderful and special things about you and make sure that the sororities know about those things!
Old 07-25-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chloe173
What really kills peoples banks in my chapter is the girls who live in rooms that are on the house tour--they have to decorate them hardcore. Matching bedspreads for all the beds, matching curtains, rugs, storage units, decorations. That gets to be a little much. (Luckily, I don't live in.)
That boggled me last year. IheartAXO was talking about all the matching stuff she had to get for her room, and I couldn't believe it!

OF course, there's the bad aspect to my house - the house is so small that everybody rushing sees every room in the house except for our scary basement - so you have to deep clean your room for rush. It drove me batty this semester because I moved in a week before rush started and I was still unpacking!!!