GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,306
0 members and 1,306 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

TSteven hit it square on the head: Traditions. Someone told me that constant, repetitive contact is the key, but I think that's pointless unless the alumni can tie it into something they're familiar with.
One thing that can really help: have alumni be responsible for the alumni news. Undergrads don't know anyone beyond their own age. Alumni who know the history of the chapter can write the stories, and that's what keeps the memories fresh. Here's a good example: see www.fsupikes.com and click on the Alumni News.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
In this day and age, e-mail is such a wonderful tool for keeping alumni connected.

As such, every chapter should get all it's members addresses before they graduate or go alum. Then keep them posted on what all is happening with their chapter etc.

And this can save on the cost of mailings.
I do send out a pdf copy of my newsletter. However, I also send out a hard copy. The hard copy gets a huge response because folks like to have something tangible. Our alumni chapter can afford it though
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-18-2004, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

One point I stress with chapters that want to just have an electronic version of the newsletter is that some of their members may not have email access. This is especially true with older chapters, where alumni/ae in their 60's-90's don't necessarily have a PC or Mac at home.

The argument can be made that those members could go to their local library or cyber cafe to log on. That's not taking into account the fact that some long-term members have never used a computer in their lives, and "I'm not gonna start now" is a commonly-used refrain (speaking from personal experience with both of my late parents).

Even though some older members have email access through those portals sold at Best Buy ("email in your kitchen"), they can't open attachments. As a result, the pretty .pdf's never get to some of the longer-standing alums, the very members that may be in a better position to help chapters financially.

BTW, I'm glad to see people participating on this thread...glad I got the pot boiling.

Interfraternally,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll try to explain my thoughts even though I'm still working them out in my mind.

I left college after 3 years and haven't graduated (yet... I'm going back for the first time in 13 years next month). It was my understanding that a woman in my sorority is not considered an alumna unless she graduated. I've spent the past 13 years figuring I was in some sort of limbo... not an active, not an alumna... not valued by the sorority.

I always envied my husband (though he did graduate) because their slogan is "Once a Sig, always a Sig". He gets a newsletter that we both enjoy reading and we've contributed financially... but he has yet to get involved in an alumni group. He's thinking about it, though.

When I began making plans to go back to school (at a different university... one that doesn't have an AXO chapter, unfortunately) I started thinking back on my Greek days. Sadly, I've lost touch with my sisters but I'd like to get involved in supporting my sorority in some way. When I visited the AXO web site I am listed in the directory under "alumnae" so maybe I am one after all.

I guess I'm one of the unusual ones who is finding her way back just out of affection for the group as a whole... not because of loyalty to my particular chapter or because of having a group of sister friends. I just found out that my chapter (at the University of Cincinnati) no longer exists and I have no idea why. I'm surprised at how much that news deeply saddens me.

I think the best way to promote alumni involvement is to maintain communication with the members. Of course, that's easier sad than done if you don't have a current address.

Best of luck to all of you.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

AOXjen, check with your Hdq once again!

There are many reasons for a person to drop out and not graduate. But if you were a member in good standing, then they may have change over time as All Greek Organizations have.

Suggest you do not just email, but call, shows interest. Explain the situation and go from there.

As boz said, it is a lot cheaper to do elctronic mailing, but, since I am the one who dispenses Information, some just say, I get tired of getting emails from Tom so I just ignore them. Well, It is found out, that they then wonder why they do not know what is going on! DA!

Hard copy is great, but very costly, especially when you send out and get dead addresses that are paid for sending mailings.

Heck, our labor is cheep, lots of tounges, fingers and prayers!

BOZ, I feel you are ponting the finger at me, be ineptitudal on many Cyber things!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

axojen,

i agree with tom. please check with your national headquarters. i would be very surprised if you were not considered an alumna, as long as you were initiated and left your chapter in good financial standing. from my experience as an alumnae chapter officer, what usually happens is this: while in college, member's sorority magazine goes to parents home; after college, unless member notifies nat'l org. of change of address, magazine continues to go to parents home. national magazine is the only way for nat'l org. to keep in touch with alumnae(on the back of every edition of ours is a change of address form). we had so many wrong addresses on our strip list from i.o., and its really not their fault. they can only work with what they are given. please join your local alumnae chapter & update your address with your nat'l office. i have actually made closer friends with my sister alumnae, who are from all over the country, than i did in college. you might be able to recapture that "sisterhood feeling". good luck!! lisa
Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I love getting "hard copies". I love that I can take them with me and read when I want. Great to leave out so others can read as well. So I wouldn't stop sending out newsletters.

However, it doesn't hurt to also send e-mail. Especially when you want to get information out quickly. And the cost and time should be minimal at best.

Sure, not ever one *now* uses e-mail, but if not already, it is becoming a rather common way of communication for society. Which is why I suggest that chapters get their current members e-mail NOW. They are building the data base for the future. Add to that list recent graduates and others who "opt in" and you've got a quick and easy way to communicate with your members. (alumni and collegiate)

As to what Tom pointed out, people do ignore e-mails. But many others save 'em and read later. Or print out. No different than someone who gets their newsletter or magazine and waits to read it.

Also e-mails don't have to be long and with large attachments that might not open. Could be something as simple as highlights with links back to the chapter's web site.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
I recommend having a combination of the two--

Mailed newsletters, invites, etc. are fun to receive among all of the bills and junk mail. Do send out hard copy newsletters if you can afford it-- even if it's just a very short letter telling of what's going on.

Also set up a mailing list for alumni who are in the area or would like to get the "we're having an impromptu BBQ this weekend... come on down!" messages that you might not have time to set up a full mailing for. Email mailing is wonderful for the quick messages, and giving your alumni the option to also be on an email list can help them "get the news first."

~ Mel.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Measi
Also set up a mailing list for alumni who are in the area or would like to get the "we're having an impromptu BBQ this weekend... come on down!"
This is a good point. Impromptu events, in addition to the more traditional and planned events, help to keep alumni involved. And often it is the simple things that can help keep members connected. And feel welcome and wanted and a part of the fraternity.

For example, there could be a house cleaning detail made up of alumni. After the clean up, the collegiate members could throw the alums a barbecue to show their appreciation.

Thus the alumni are able to give back in a "hands on" way and not just in a financial or advisory way. This not only shows the chapter that their alumni still have a respect for the house and love for their fraternity, but also can instill in the pledges (new members) that membership is for life.

Basically, any time members - collegiate and alumni - work together, it helps strengthen the brotherhood. So just remember that the simple stuff matters as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

After having recently spoken with Lambda Chi alumni from various chapters, I have another perspective to throw into the mix. This involves the "old" vs. "young" debate.

I've heard from various "classic alums" that they prefer to do their own events (golf outings, picnics w/family, ballgames, etc.) with members in their own age bracket. The reasons vary, but it's pretty much along the lines of "they're so much younger, it's like being w/my kids".

Many alumni/ae have written in to say they meet @ a specific tavern each month, and this seems to attract the younger, under-30 crowd. As a 40+ alum, I have to admit that the thought of going to some pub on a Friday nite to "hang w/the bros" has lost the attractiveness it would have held in 1984.

What have other alums done to bridge this "generation gap"?

Interfraternally,
Bill F.

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
There definitely is a generational gap... a definite 10 year grouping, but probably even a bit more of a breakdown into 5 year groups or so-- those who were active at the same time tend to want to hang with their own.

With the exception of formal rituals and such (with privacy concerns and uninitiated respect), it's probably easier to bring alumni in if their families can also be included. If alumni feel like hanging with the actives is like spending time with their kids-- perhaps it's an event to celebrate that. Bring the kids, introduce them to positive aspects of greek life, and bring the brother (or sister) - hood into a larger, stronger extended family. Our lives as brothers and sisters are not limited by the Greek community-- our families are also influenced by them through us.

Things like BBQ's, sports events, house cleanings/updates (do some work, and then have a potluck, etc) and service/philanthropy events are often ones that can be "the more the merrier" events. If families are welcome, then it's easier to get alumni to come-- especially if they have kids that they'd have to arrange for.

When I was an active, we had our annual end-of-year picnic, which was originally set up as a way for alumni to catch up with the actives at least once per year. It was casual, a complete potluck, usually including a softball game and just relaxing and chatting. One year, kids started coming with the alumnae moms. And then the next year, husbands... and from there, it just became a good time to see the alumnae *beyond* the names and stories we'd heard about their active years. We saw the people who now were important in their lives and got to celebrate those joys with them.

~ Mel.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Brother Bill, at times and points, I heartely disagree with you.

Yes, as you say some of Oldsters like to get with some the same age. But, it is good being with the Youngsters who help make us feel young inspite of aches and pains.

Remember, You are a Kid to me!

It is all somewaht relivent, work with the old or work with the new.

Why not work with both?

As Measi said, bring the little kids in and get them indoctrinated.

Visit the Younger Members at specific times. Home Coming and Founders Day are the best.

They Need Us, and in a since, We need them! Hand in glove thing so to speak!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom: No doubt about it, we've got some very active "vintage alumni" @ LCA. I've seen the same thing w/other GLOs at their leadership workshops & general assembly meetings.

The sad thing is that we're the exception, not the rule. It's too bad the "Not four years, for life" stuff wasn't emphasized to people in the 60's-70's. If it had been, perhaps we'd have more veterans hanging around.

-BF

Old 08-31-2004, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's too bad the "Not four years, for life" stuff wasn't emphasized to people in the 60's-70's.
Maybe it was. Although our chapter numbers are fast approaching 700, three of the four officers in the alumni association are #41, #45, and #51 and go back over thirty years. We also have a #281 and a #566 to round things out.

I love this thread because everyone wants to include as many alums as possible in whatever activities they can attend. We seek support from them. We want to inform them.

Firehouse (who, BTW, is one of the few on greek chat who can spell correctly - thank you for that) equated - if I read it right - a sound chapter with a sound alumni base. Sorry if I'm paraphrasing your thoughts. The two go together in my estimation.

The jury is still out on the importance, or even the existance of a generation gap. Sometimes it's a neat kick when an active bitches me out after I've bitched out the chapter for something.

It means we're brothers, not father & son, even though I'm still driving the car I bought when they were 3 years old. It doesn't matter.

What bothers me is that we had a bunch of hell-raisers in the mid period and fear we'll never get them back. Maybe they weren't "there" in the first place. The chapter sunk to a low at that time. Is it even worth trying?

Jono

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde

Last edited by JonoBN41; 08-31-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that there can be a generational gap with respect to alumni social gatherings. I would also like to add to that mix, the "type" of alumni group can effect the age factor as well. Heck, you can add single status versus those members in a relationship to the mix as well.

For the sake of discussion I'm basically talking about two "types" of alumni gatherings. One is the alumni gathering that is specific to a chapter while the second gathering is regional (city) based.

Chapter gatherings are usually more specific in nature. The events surround chapter or campus happenings such as founders day or homecoming. Events specific to the chapter's housing corporation (fundraisers) would fall under this as well. As such, alumni of the chapter - of all ages and regardless of their marital/relationship status - are more likely to attend these events simply because they have a vested interest, history and tradition with the specific chapter. And yes, alumni who didn't attend this specific campus, may "adopt" this chapter if they feel vested. So basically, all ages and relationship statuses attend.

Now since there isn't a specific chapter associated with the regional or city based alumni chapters, these gatherings tend to be more general in nature. While some events may be fraternity orientated (i.e founders day events), many events tend to be non-fraternity specific. Such as ball games, happy hours, golf outings, family picnics etc. The age of the attendees depends on the event. Those that are geared to the more recent graduate, say a happy hour, will be attended by "young" alumni while events geared to the "classic alums" - thanks boz130 for the term - such as a family picnic are more likely to attract the "older" alum. And if the gentleman is single, he may be more inclined to go out for a night with the fraternity than the "family man" regardless if he is young or classic.

And to be clear, I am not talking in absolutes here. Members of all ages and marital/relationship status will and do attend all types of events. I just wanted to add that "other factors" can and do have an effect as to who attends.