GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,116
1 members and 1,115 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you have a good attitude - good luck to you.

And for future reference, it's "prepared", not "prepaired"
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
It sounds like you have a good attitude - good luck to you.

And for future reference, it's "prepared", not "prepaired"
I agree. Also, please look over your last post. There are several grammatical and spelling errors there. I know when we are online we get sort of caught up in the post and don't always check for these things. There may be some sorority women from UTC lurking here who will see what you have written. Your lower grades coupled with these types of public errors could really be hurting you. I'm just trying to be honest with you. Talk to the Greek Adviser there and see what he/she has to say. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I agree. Also, please look over your last post. There are several grammatical and spelling errors there. I know when we are online we get sort of caught up in the post and don't always check for these things. There may be some sorority women from UTC lurking here who will see what you have written. Your lower grades coupled with these types of public errors could really be hurting you. I'm just trying to be honest with you. Talk to the Greek Adviser there and see what he/she has to say. Good luck.
I agree with her. Spelling errors are a pet peeve for me. Not to be bitchy, but if I had seen an app with lots of misspellings, I would consider putting it in the circular file.

Titchou is telling it like it is. Good luck to you, hon
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. So when I write letters for applications or etc I usually double check everything and sometimes even have other people check it. I was a little upset when I was on here (upset as in disappointed, sad) and was trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sorry I misspelled words. My application for recruitment was checked twice before I ever turned it in. I don't usually type badly. I try my hardest not to. I was just typing fast and while upset. Sorry. Today is Pref night and i'm at home reading greekchat forums instead of getting dressed up. It's actually very sad because I really wanted this. I just hope that I will have another chance. Here is another question, what do sororities think if a girl in engaged or married? My boyfriend and I have been together over 3 years and have discussed marriage but not right now, however if I have to wait another year for formal recruitment, I may be engaged. How is that looked at?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW... back off the girl. You may not like spelling mistakes, but it is really inappropriate to tel her that she may have been dropped from recruitment because she spells things wrong on a message board.

To the OP...sorry you are upset. We really truly can't tell you what your options are and whether or not it is highly likely you will have a chance to receive a bid in the future. There are already a few posts with some good advice. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I'm going to have to agree with the other posters by saying you should probably focus on your GPA if you want to give it another go next year. While your GPA may be slightly above the minimum to rush, sometimes groups will make their minimum to join way above that.

Maybe it might help to get involved with some campus activities. Since many sorority women are involved it would be a great way to meet them.

Unfortunately, those may not even help you get a bid next year. We don't know that. Maybe it will? Once again, we don't know. We can't really give you the "light at the end of the tunnel" that you are looking for because no one here knows why things didn't work out.

Maybe it might help to go to the Greek Life office and see if the sororities will be participating in COR either after Fall recruitment or in Spring. Maybe you should try other organizations on campus - there may be co-ed service GLO's or perhaps organizations built around your major to help you meet more people.

Re: the engaged/married thing - that is also something that only people on that campus may be able to tell you since it varies from campus to campus. It might be cool with them at one campus, but the climate might be different on another campus. On my old campus, the only girls who were in sororities and engaged/married were about to graduate. Some sororities may give the sister the option to go alum early if they got married, but once again, that varies.

Last edited by texas*princess; 08-23-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyphimu View Post
WOW... back off the girl. You may not like spelling mistakes, but it is really inappropriate to tel her that she may have been dropped from recruitment because she spells things wrong on a message board.

To the OP...sorry you are upset. We really truly can't tell you what your options are and whether or not it is highly likely you will have a chance to receive a bid in the future. There are already a few posts with some good advice. Good luck.
Oh please.

Her spelling errors all over the damn thread suggested that she really doesn't know how to spell...and that may have been reflected in her recruitment applications, etc. Several of the women here are collegiate advisors, so any rush documents would raise red flags, I'd imagine. No one said that she was dropped because she was too lazy to use spellcheck on GreekChat.

To the OP, instead of wondering "what if", just take things one day at a time. Do you know for sure you'll be engaged come recruitment time next year? Because you know exactly when your BF will pop the question, right? That's what I thought.

We could say that we don't care if a PNM is engaged, but the UTC sororities may think otherwise. WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT SORORITIES THINK ABOUT ENGAGED PNMs BECAUSE ALL CHAPTERS ARE DIFFERENT.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Oh please.

No one said that she was dropped because she was too lazy to use spellcheck on GreekChat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There may be some sorority women from UTC lurking here who will see what you have written. Your lower grades coupled with these types of public errors could really be hurting you.
Really?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really?

Yes. Really.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Yes. Really.
I know...that is exactly what I said. Someone on GC told her she may not have gotten a bid because of her poor spelling skills. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know...that is exactly what I said. Someone on GC told her she may not have gotten a bid because of her poor spelling skills. Thanks for agreeing with me.
..Are you serious? I think it was pretty clear I was NOT agreeing with you. She really could have been harmed by her poor spelling skills during recruitment. Sorry you're so naive.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay. I know that my recruitment application did not have spelling mistakes. I checked it and also a co-worker checked it. I’m pretty sure my application is not the reason I did not get an invite. A few spelling mistakes on a chat forum is in no way a reflection of how I write or type for more important things. I only came on here for reassurance that there are still options. Not to be in a spelling class. Thanks for your time (or waste of it). You make me not want to be in a sorority. If I have to put up with people that are willing to argue on a chat forum about spelling errors on the internet, I don't think that is where I need to be. I'm pretty sure that my spelling errors on this site will no way reflect what kind of person I am in recruitment. Thank you pinkyphimu for taking up for me, I really appreciate your support. Also, thank you to the others that helped to make me feel a little better. You have no idea how much you actually helped. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

See....we aren't trying to be mean. We are seriously just saying that when you have sorority members AT YOUR SCHOOL reading your posts. And just FYI, it is easy to find out who someone is. I'm sorry that you think that spelling doesn't matter, but if you were rushing my school and typed like this, I WOULD find out who you were and may hold it against you. We are very honestly trying to make sure that you don't screw yourself over because you think you're anonymous.

And why do you keep doing that font thing? It's irritating. Good try, though.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, I do know when my bf will pop the question. Not the exact day but it will be before next fall. He was waiting to ask me after I received a bid and got into a sorority so that I would get to be a part of the ceremonies and etc that sororities have. We’ve even talked about when we would like to get married. I just asked so that would know what sororities usually think about when a girl is engaged or married. I don’t think my relationship is your expertise.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure what font thing. I'm just using the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen.